How not to part a starion

garychoffmann

Well I started to part out my rust free starion and I felt dirty about parting a running rust free starion so I started to put it back together. The good thing is all the hacked wiring and mangled pieces are now gone and I start the rebuilding process. This is where I'm at:

My new t3/t4 60 is now on and waiting.

My factory maf is now as modified as they get (PIC)

Radiator needs to be modified a bit.

Piping needs to be routed, etc, etc, etc.

Here is how she sits. I think I'm going to paint the car rodz satin black. Then either do the flat areas in a gloss/metal flake. Or gloss flake stripes. Not sure yet.

Things left to go on the car. FPR, gauges, cluster, intercooler, piping, master and slave, stainless lines, all new hoses, double din cd player, seats, radiator, water to air intercooler, shifter, etc etc etc. I have a good 2k of parts sitting in it. waiting on 1 coupler to come so I can start getting it together.

Before you part a car make sure that you have the heart to do it, it will cost you a ton to put it back on the road.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/GaryCHoffmann/DSCN0725.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/GaryCHoffmann/DSCN0724.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/GaryCHoffmann/DSCN0723.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/GaryCHoffmann/DSCN0722.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/GaryCHoffmann/DSCN0721.jpg

The everything black in the engine bay is a good gesture gone wrong. Neighbor kid needed a little extra money to fix his car so I told him to do some cleaning of my engine bay and scrub it real good. Well, he scrubbed it so much that he wore through the paint in area's. He was using purple power and a 000 steel wool. I was planning on painting the engine bay so no big deal. I told him, we'll just respray everything black. I meant when I pull everything off but being a young kid he thought I meant spray everything black. So I check on him later and he did me a favor by painting everything for me..... I thought it was kind of funny so I didn't bust his chops. He was proud of doing it for me so I am humoring him and leaving it. He likes to learn and help me turn a few wrenches so I'm hoping I can get the engine bay to turn out allright. Time will tell, He did a good job not getting paint on the engine and such but he painted everything, everything, relay's, hoses, everything. Ahhhhh to be young and dumb again.

i kinda like the all black, it gives the polished and colored parts good emphasis. grant it the way it was done was sketchy, but all in good meaning :)

Looks good man, glad you didnt part out. being in the midwest, a rust free part out is gut wrenching for me.

All things considered I hate parting these cars. I've saved cars that were not salvageable. Cost huge money but I kept one on the road. They are worth the extra time and loss of money. Almost every time I see one on the road around here It makes me smile cuz I know it's one of the ones I put back on the road. It's fun, I used to do it with rx-7's.

*Cheers to you for saving it.

A bit off topic but I walked like 20 big junkyards today and didn't see one Quest. At the end of the day, after alot of walking, I think I was actually just relieved that I didn't find one.

Well I started to part out my rust free starion and I felt dirty about parting a running rust free starion so I started to put it back together. The good thing is all the hacked wiring and mangled pieces are now gone and I start the rebuilding process. This is where I'm at:

My new t3/t4 60 is now on and waiting.

My factory maf is now as modified as they get (PIC)

Radiator needs to be modified a bit.

Piping needs to be routed, etc, etc, etc.

Here is how she sits. I think I'm going to paint the car rodz satin black. Then either do the flat areas in a gloss/metal flake. Or gloss flake stripes. Not sure yet.

Things left to go on the car. FPR, gauges, cluster, intercooler, piping, master and slave, stainless lines, all new hoses, double din cd player, seats, radiator, water to air intercooler, shifter, etc etc etc. I have a good 2k of parts sitting in it. waiting on 1 coupler to come so I can start getting it together.

Before you part a car make sure that you have the heart to do it, it will cost you a ton to put it back on the road.

You know, this could technically be considered a FAIL, however I don't think any of us are gonna hold it against you. ;)

*Cheers to you for saving it.

A bit off topic but I walked like 20 big junkyards today and didn't see one Quest. At the end of the day, after alot of walking, I think I was actually just relieved that I didn't find one.

That's because they were already crushed :(

Yeah, I was sickened by the state of the car when I got it back from the previous owner. I just didn't want to do it over again and try and recoup my money. Well, long story short, I sold some parts and didn't have the heart to do the rest. So now I have to put it back together. Hooray me

Good for you. Way to set a good example. I like the all black idea. It really does make all the polished stuff stand out so much more.

If only more folk would follow example and save theirs instead of parting it.

"all of them hav been crush'd " exactly,, many times i have ask'd why did you crush a car you only see 1 a yr or so,,and keep a thousand F bodys in the yard .. financialy your doing it all wrong

i don't beleave they are aware of all them haveing LSD diff's

Good job not parting out!

"all of them hav been crush'd " exactly,, many times i have ask'd why did you crush a car you only see 1 a yr or so,,and keep a thousand F bodys in the yard .. financialy your doing it all wrong

i don't beleave they are aware of all them haveing LSD diff's

I've heard the same story "Oh we get one now and again but they get crushed pretty quick"

Wish mine had an LSD :(

I have to admit that parting one is a whole hell of alot cheaper than putting one back on the road. I can understand why people part them. No one wants to pay a dime for a non runner but you can sell the shell for the same as a complete car. I have had to throw alot of money at this car but it will make someone a nice driver when I'm done.