Looks like I won't be enlisting after all

Fanta

To sum things up, the Air Force is 300% over their recruiting qouta, so recruiters aren't exactly begging. Pair with the fact that I'm still a non-citizen, my recruiter, who's a good friend of a friend of mine who was in the AF for 8 years, basically said it would be in my best interest to just wait, otherwise he could almost guarantee that I'll be assigned a non-citizen career, which both he, my friend, and I know that I'll be loathing those years probably. It's still up in the air ( enlist, get whatever is given to me, gain citizenship through the military, cross train one year before my 4 year term is up and re-enlist into something that I want if it's available ) but man... this sucks. <_<

i knew it!...for some reason everyone wants to go in the air force.

have you thought about joining another branch, and then transferring over to the AF when they open their doors again, you may end up having priority over those just trying to go strait in. like do something in the marines for 2 years or so, then transfer to the AF. or do something in the navy for 2 years or so, then go the the AF.

Daniel

i was thinking all the branches of service had an flying of some sort like drone

piloting etc

They do. Don't get me wrong, I am looking at other branches. Navy just released photos of their carrier based drone, and they have under water ones. ARMY has the IED bomb diffusal drones and the helicopter kind. Air Force just mainly specializes in them ( and or has more careers that align with my major and what I want to have a career in as a normal/civilian life ).

Just be sure you can take orders no matter how ridiculous they are. In addition be ready to do scut work for no reason and be able to go to work any hours any time the boss changes his mind. But on the positive side you do get to stand in formation in the hot sun, pouring rain, blinding blizzard and etc anytime some one wants to show off. Your bosses will get the credit and medals for your work and sacrifice allowing them to get promoted and move to better positions. If you can agree to all of this then you will do well. Sounds like sour grapes? Not really I retired after 23 years. I'm just telling the truth that they don't want the recruits to hear about. I did well and was never in trouble. I got great performance reports and participated in several programs that were well ahead of the times. I guess I'm saying it can be good but go into it with a realistic understanding of what it is not the BS that recruiters tell you it is.

Just be sure you can take orders no matter how ridiculous they are. In addition be ready to do scut work for no reason and be able to go to work any hours any time the boss changes his mind. But on the positive side you do get to stand in formation in the hot sun, pouring rain, blinding blizzard and etc anytime some one wants to show off. Your bosses will get the credit and medals for your work and sacrifice allowing them to get promoted and move to better positions. If you can agree to all of this then you will do well. Sounds like sour grapes? Not really I retired after 23 years. I'm just telling the truth that they don't want the recruits to hear about. I did well and was never in trouble. I got great performance reports and participated in several programs that were well ahead of the times. I guess I'm saying it can be good but go into it with a realistic understanding of what it is not the BS that recruiters tell you it is.

Honestly, sounds a lot like how my current job is anyways :lol:

alot of money in crosstraining

True - honestly, it's a lot to really consider. So far though I've been leaning towards going back to college and finishing up my Bachelors in Mechatronics.

if you have the option to go back to school, then do so. The military will only slow you down. But if you do decide to come in feel free to contact me for anything. Ill be starting my 4yrs of instructor duty after I return to Branson. YEAH!

Also, consider were you want to be. Alot of the high tech career fields are very limited on locations. Like my buddies that worked on the ICBM's had 2 or 3 bases to pick from. 2 of which were North Dakota and Wyoming. Me on the other hand, if it has aircraft, I can go there. Just food for thought.

phil

if you have the option to go back to school, then do so. The military will only slow you down. But if you do decide to come in feel free to contact me for anything. Ill be starting my 4yrs of instructor duty after I return to Branson. YEAH!

Also, consider were you want to be. Alot of the high tech career fields are very limited on locations. Like my buddies that worked on the ICBM's had 2 or 3 bases to pick from. 2 of which were North Dakota and Wyoming. Me on the other hand, if it has aircraft, I can go there. Just food for thought.

phil

Honestly, the UAV program is what has my eyes. Things such as 1U0X1, or 1N1X1 or the 1u0x1. To me, location wouldn't have as much effect as would the standard of living would. Just how I am I suppose. I wouldn't mind something nuclear related, or air craft related, but since my major is in mechatronics ( robotics ) then I would ideally prefer to have a career either in the military or in civilian life dealing with robots. Of course, almost anyone who joins the Air Force to some extent wishes they could become a fighter pilot :lol: I could always go in after I gain my bachelors and become an officer. There's a few paths to really take.

Edited by Fanta

I am in the USAF. MOS is referred to as AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) Mine is 2A6X1 Aerospace Propulsion Mechanic. To sum it up, I work on Jet engines.

Fanta,

UAV's would probably have you living in Nevada

http://www.creech.af.mil/

Which is funny cause youll be in the desert during deployments and in the desert at home! LOL

Also check into civil service jobs.

To sum things up, the Air Force is 300% over their recruiting qouta, so recruiters aren't exactly begging. Pair with the fact that I'm still a non-citizen, my recruiter, who's a good friend of a friend of mine who was in the AF for 8 years, basically said it would be in my best interest to just wait, otherwise he could almost guarantee that I'll be assigned a non-citizen career, which both he, my friend, and I know that I'll be loathing those years probably. It's still up in the air ( enlist, get whatever is given to me, gain citizenship through the military, cross train one year before my 4 year term is up and re-enlist into something that I want if it's available ) but man... this sucks. <_<

What country do you have citizenship in Fanta ?

Does that country have a military or air force ??