A quick question

XADAMX

Im looking at a 1987 chrysler conquest. It looks to be in good condition and has 68xxx miles. My main concern is the conquest's reliablility. I've heard of engines blowing after like 80xxx miles. Is this true? I'm not sure if thats due to a problem with the engine or the drivers running them too hard. The reason I ask is i love these cars but cannot afford an engine swap or rebuild. thanks for reading.

Adam

Do a compression test on the engine. What you heard is untrue. Starfighterpilot here has almost 300,000 miles on his original engine and car. In the end it comes down to its history of maintainance and how it was driven

I second that...if you can do a compression check. that can give you a good clue if there will be a possible rebuild of the top end. I did mine when i first got it and i had a blown head gasket....meaning pretty much re-build the top but while you do this you have to remove a whole bunch of stuff to replace the gasket so while i was at it did the timing chain, removed balance shafts and replace oil pan. My car has 150k on it and still running strong.

Second...for those people who blow up there engines with 80k probably just got there car and try to boost it before they get the car running right...don't be newbie and do that.

Edited by alp247

Just make sure that you go through the newbie check list that we have in the FAQ section and you should be good.

And yes, a compression check should be a good idea, to check and see if the engine is still running strong. the only thing redone and new on my car is the head, and injectors. the bottom end has over 180k on the clock. so if you treat it right, and change what you see needs to be changed. It will be good to you.

ohh yea.. and what ever i got in my sig too :P

Daniel

Edited by dstar88

• 3 weeks later...
Where are you located? I suggest you look up a knowledgeable member near you and bring them with. I think all of us who have been in the game for at least a few years know what to look for, because we have had to fix it! :)

Where are you located? I suggest you look up a knowledgeable member near you and bring them with. I think all of us who have been in the game for at least a few years know what to look for, because we have had to fix it! :)

^^ What he said. We are a pretty friendly group and willing to help out. For a couple of beers most of us would go with you to check it out.

Bottom end is solid as a rock.

The head can be a problem if over heated. It will warp and/or crack.

The engine will last forever if you don't crank up the boost, change the oil and keep it cool.

Welcome to the addiction.

you might want to rethink your decision about buying one of these. the fact of the matter is it will cost you money, they are 20 years old. you can certainly rebuild an engine for less that $1000 if you are willing and able to do the work. just keep in mind any older car and especially older sports cars are going to have things to fix. im not trying to dissuade you from buying one but if it will be your only car it may or may not be a good idea depending on its condition. best of luck and if you end up with it be sure to post pics! :)

I have my Quest as my only car in driving condition...lol I'd trust it to go anywhere, its never left me stranded, even with a chunk out of second gear, I was still able to get her home.

And, I've put well over 20k on her in the past 2 years without issue.

As long as she's sound when you get it, just keep up on it and it'll treat you right. Yes, there are the little things that'll nickel and dime you, but, as 89Palmero said, they're 20 years old, what do you expecet...lol

So, as long as you are able to do a little work on the car yourself every now and then, and the car you find is in good shape to start, I'd say go for it.

The bad stories you heard were probably from cars that were not well cared for. If you buy a basket case, it will cost you a ton and you'll always be dumping money into it. If you buy a good relaible one, it will remain that way as long as you're willing to treat the car right and keep up with preventative maint. If you aren't wiiling to put the time or money into that end of it, the car will likely screw you eventually. So really if you buy a good car and keep up with it well, it will be fairly inexpensive to own. If you don't it will cost you tons.

If you want a car that you can just put gas and oil changes into and not have to worry about much else, get a Honda or Toyota.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you guys im still looking into it! My situation is i am a student, currently driving a P.O.S. 1999 ford taurus (nicknamed "catfish car") lol. Im selling it and with the money im saving from work will b able to buy in two weeks. This car is appealing to me bc its beautiful (except interior), wont kill my insurence, and is a cheap and unique car. http://www.expertautova.com/vehicle_pages/JJ3CC54N3HZ021907-1987-Chrysler-Conquest.shtml This is it! I really want it but I'm absolutely terrified that I'll b s*** outta luck if it blows up in my face! I get it what it needs but not looking for power just a nice daily driver. Got carfax on it nothing to report except for the title change. pleaseeeeeee any feedback is good feedback on this specific car. Thank you so much and please dont take it b4 me lol :(

-Adam

Nice find but can you spot the obvious flaws in this description?

Stock Number 45345

VIN JJ3CC54N3HZ021907

Miles 68,654

Exterior Color Brown Looks grey to me

Interior Color Burgundy

Engine 6 cyl wrong

Transmission 5-Speed

Body Car

Doors Hatchback

Fuel Type Gasoline

Drive Train 2WD

Price $3,999

Cash Price $3,999

Sale Price $3,999

Accessories / Features

Power Windows, Power Locks, Power Seats, Cassette, CD Player (No, sorry), Passenger Airbag (try again), Seat Memory (what????), Remote Trunk Release, Full Carpeting, Map Light, Dual Remote Mirrors, Overdrive Trans, Keyless Entry (I see no key fob in the pics and that wasn't a factory option unless it was added to the car)

It looks like a good car but a bit overpriced. If you're gonna pay $4k for that car everything better work and it better be in perfect shape. I like the rims though.

The car is in VA, are you in VA?

I ask because you really need the help of a local member to help evaluate the car. In person. And, a large part of being a starquest owner is the community; parts, support, upgrades. Who else will understand when you get frustrated that people are pestering you at gas stations to talk about your car! Typical mechanic shops will likely not help you with this car, the community and your own ability will be the solution.

Starquests are not unusually unreliable, but being a performance car you can expect abuse. It takes experience to spot problems, IE: if neglect will make the car unreliable.

BTW: that car is a Shetland Beige 87 Conquest. Rare, but not ultra rare. It looks decent overall. Has been repainted. Is missing its airdam. Has a aftermarket BOV. Has the secondary air system removed, which is common especially once a exhaust is done to the car. Has aftermarket rims and is probably lowered. Has an aftermarket strut tower brace. Has some aftermarket electronics I can't identify.

There is a strong chance that this car is a former community member based off the parts upgrades. Perhaps somebody will chime in?

Alright that sounds good i mean these people really dont know what they have if they mislable that many things. They're either oblivious or lying....pretty sure its lying to make a sale. If someone would be willing to look at it with me i guess i could set something up. Im from Ohio and have not been able to find any conquests in ohio that aren't being parted out. I was planning on goin on a road trip to look at it then return to purchase it.....if i like what i see. maybe even buy it then lol looonnng trip to make twice.

Thanks for the info but cant do over 100k miles and needs to b running ready this car was perfect for that. It needs to be a daily driver and 100k miles is getting to the point of possible problems. maybe not for that specific car but cant take that risk that something fails and wont run till fixed. Any other suggestions are welcome and thank you very much for feedback. I appreceate it!

Were in OH are you. tons of members in Ohio, and Michigan.

Im in the akron area please let me know of listings looking to buy within a months time!

Edited by XADAMX

Wow you're up in my old stompin grounds. If you ARE looking at one in VA if it's in my area I'd be more than happy to check it out with you. I've been through the one I have for the past 4 years now and think I know it pretty well.

As for the discrepancies in the description. a CD player could have been added I have a DVD player in mine. Memory seats? Well don't they ALL retain a memory after 20 years of someones behind being in them? As for the keyless entry, Could have been added but they might just be thinking of the power locks. And the color, palermo grey, actually does look almost like a metallic tan color. Maybe not a dark brown like you're imagining but it still has a gold or brown tint to it.

EDIT:

Ok just looked at the ad itself, either those are pics they pulled from the wrong car or they have NO clue what the car is at ALL. Overdrive trans? That would indicate it was an automatic transmission. That's the 5 speed shifter I see in there. No ther eisn't a CD player unless they mistook the EQ for a CD player.

If you call up and start asking questions with some REAL knowledge of the car, you can probably knock a few $ off it. That car is about 3.5 hours from me unfortunately. But there are a few MD members that are probably fairly close.

Edited by Big Al

Wow you're up in my old stompin grounds. If you ARE looking at one in VA if it's in my area I'd be more than happy to check it out with you. I've been through the one I have for the past 4 years now and think I know it pretty well.

As for the discrepancies in the description. a CD player could have been added I have a DVD player in mine. Memory seats? Well don't they ALL retain a memory after 20 years of someones behind being in them? As for the keyless entry, Could have been added but they might just be thinking of the power locks. And the color, palermo grey, actually does look almost like a metallic tan color. Maybe not a dark brown like you're imagining but it still has a gold or brown tint to it.

If you look at the pictures there's a stock deck installed.

That's not a bad car but I would try to talk them down to the 2k range. Have big al go with you. It helps to have someone who knows about these cars. But your previous statement worries me. If you're looking for super reliable then maybe this isn't for you. There are alot of reliable SQs out there only because their owners put in the time to make them so. But maybe you'll get lucky. My first SQ was reliable but I was tinkering with it all the time. If you don't have any mechanical skills then a SQ is gonna get really expensive really fast.