want to paint mud flaps and spoiler

2fast2six

i am gunna replace the two side spoilers on my starion... but they are silver. i wanna repaint them myself. do i just need to use 600 grit, scratch up the paint and then pimer it and paint? or just scratch it up and use the krylon paint? not to sure whats gunna work. i want to paint them black. same for the mudflaps? just sand and paint? kinda lost here

You might as well do them right especialy because mudflaps are a high $ item

If you don't have compresor, guns, and auto paint exp I would pay someone to do them right being an OK shape mudfap set I have seen sell for 350

For flexible or spongy parts like the spoilers and mudflaps, you really should use a good urethane auto paint since urethanes are somewhat flexible. If the paint that is on the parts is in good shape, you can 600 it and paint it. I would avoid using primer if you don't need it as the thicker your primer/paint layers are, the better chance it will crack from the flexing, even if you do use urethanes. Of course, if the paint on the parts is in bad shape, you'll want to strip the bad stuff off, then prime and paint.

Personally, I would avoid the rattle can stuff, but I paint for a living and have all the tools, so in the end I can do it right for about the same cost as rattle canning it. Now, if you don't have an air compressor, spray gun, experience, etc.., then I can see going the rattle can route. If you had to pay a body shop to do it, I bet it will be $200-300 for the spoiler and mudflaps. If my choice was $300 or rattle canning it, then I'd probably do the rattle can.

No matter which route you take, I'd reccomend using an adhesion promoter like Bulldog on all flexible parts before primer or paint.

yea the mud flaps are in perfect condition, they are just a faded black and it looks bad. even if i rattle can the flaps ill eventually get them repainted when my car get a good paint one day. and the wings that are on my car are trash. crumbling apart, i have replacements that arent cracked at all and are like new, but they are silve. paint place down the street said 100 for both and i didnt even ask bout the mud flaps. just want my car looking better then faded body trim but dont have hundreds to do it,

if your mudflaps are in perfect condition, but have a faded/blotchy appearance... You might try polishing them with a mild abrasive first to see if that will restore the finish. Something like mothers aluminum polish.

They are probably worth more unpainted.

mm

Soon as you paint them with crappy paint you just made a lot more work for them to be re-done correctly.

To do it correctly all that crappy paint must come off and since its a flexible part its not like you can use some ehavy duty stripper to just get it all off. Or at least I would be afraid to. You are talking about a lot of sanding. I know this because the previous owner painted the spoiler black with crappy paint and I had to sand it through. I wanted to punch a baby afterwards. Not a fun experience.