stubborn fuel fitting

jahjah

I'm trying to remove the flex line that goes from the bottom of the fuel filter to the hard line that feeds the system.

i dunno if this thing is just crazy tight... or if theres some trick i don't know

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8894/fuellinefitting.jpg

that line has an end like this right?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads12/double+vs+bubble+flare1201238131.jpg

hahaha, yeah they are on tight. From rust and whatever else. Lots of penetrating lube and line wrenches is the way to get them off. You may have to slip a box end wrench on the end of the line wrench to give yourself more leverage. Keep the bandaids handy, you'll need them when that fitting breaks loose.

No I thibk that line line is about six feet long and a major pita to remove. Get you some good flare nut wrenches and then you might have to put visegrips to keep them tight before you try to break it free. But why are you taking it off anyway?

Put a wrench on each side of that junction... ideally flare nut or line wrenches but sometimes plain open-end wrenches are enough. Position the two wrenches so they form a shallow "V" shape with the point of the "V" being the junction. You want the "free" ends of each wrench to be about 2 inches apart. Then you can use both hands to squeeze the wrenches together - like squeezing the handles of a big pair of pliers.

PB-blaster or some other penetrating material will be your friend. Be careful using vise grips or some other clamping style tool. It's easy to mash the threaded collar; when that happens you'll have a permanent leak after reassembly.

mike c.

No I thibk that line line is about six feet long and a major pita to remove. Get you some good flare nut wrenches and then you might have to put visegrips to keep them tight before you try to break it free. But why are you taking it off anyway?

Taking it off because the previous owner cut it short and ran a racing style filter. I'm putting a stock filer back in, and replaced the line too.

Vice grip. I've stripped that thing before and had to resort to vice grip. Now, I go straight to the vice grip with those things.

yup. even with line wrenches i started to strip the 14mm. switched to a 19mm line wrench and vice grips and said a small prayer then tugged on it till it gave.

speaking from experience, take your time and use lots of pb. if you ruin the hard line fitting your making ALOT of work for yourself. i believe i got one of the only two fuel lines left. this may or may not be true but either way it was quite the job replacing it.

as a last resort both of the oem fuel hose ends have a hose nipple made on to them,, the rubber hose can be replace'd with fuel inj hose and fuel inj clamps , once you cut off the metal bands on the ends do not cut into the inner metal only the outter band