Goes Like Hell

strang3majik

mines n/a. Its the high output carburated motor...9.6:1 CR and all.

But...I just got myself a Shelby Charger as well...not sure if its T1 or T2 yet as I haven't gotten the motor yet and the car has had work done to it...so, I'll let you know on that :P

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice what year charger?Its a T1 unless it's a GLHS charger or someone swaped it.Stock shelby charger came with the 1 pice intake,which i am sure you know.Any way it comes still sweet a** cars but i am true to my omni,hey ever need any help with anything shot me a pm between me and my father we have had 8 turbo omni have some pics will try to get them up.

The Charger is an 85, same color and year as my Omni...lol So, it'll be cool to have two 85 L-body shelby cars. And, it does have the 1 piece log intake, I need to have it cut and rewelded so I can run an intercooler with it.

But, thanks for the offer on that...may take you up on it :P

And, the Omni will be done to. Just tonight I painted up the supercharger and valve cover black wrinkle...still need to sand down the ridges to expose the aluminuim on both :D

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC02621.jpg

Tyler, is there a GLH/Shebly/Omni forum you belong to somewhere that you're getting info from or are you doing this solo? Even though you may not have a SQC someday soon :( I for one want to see this car come to life....keep up the good work man!

• 1 month later...
Chop the springs and stance it...then the wheels will look much better...Why not rattle can it for now Tyler..Like satin black with a coat of clear....that would look awesome with those wheels..would lok like Darth Vaders daily beater

Chop the springs and stance it...then the wheels will look much better...Why not rattle can it for now Tyler..Like satin black with a coat of clear....that would look awesome with those wheels..would lok like Darth Vaders daily beater

Chopping the springs is in the future. Want to get her running right first. I've completley given up on getting it running right how it is since the computer controlled carb is giving me a fit.

And, the rattle can is an idea...but, its only about $30 for primer and another $100 for paint/clear and I'd be painting it (my first paint job :P )...but, the biggest deal is just getting all the peeling clear coat off. I'll get all of it off and sand it down smooth, and the next day, I'll walk out and its all bubbled and peeling on the edges again. So...I'll need to razor blade it or something. And, now that its 200* outside...I need to just find a day, man up, and do it...lol

and, haha...Eurotiva...doubt it'll be as fun as yours though :P

Use a pressure washer getting under the paint that should get most of it off.. or paint stripper with a plastic scraper

pressure washer might work. Paint stripper I don't know about though. That has potential of getting messy and making the paint soft and have to come off as well...haha.

Also...got my new decals made up. I think the name is pretty cool. A very long acronym...but, then again, only one more letter then GLHS :P Goes Like heck / SuperCharged (the red goes ont top of the black for the shadow effect like the stock ones)

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC03202.jpg

• 1 month later...

Whats new any up date

no, not really. I got a Holley 500 2bbl carb for it, but, its been put on the back burner here recently. I've been fixing my truck and getting it ready for a 1200 mile trip to PA...lol

But, upon return, I plan on getting a carpet, I already got a set of Shelby Charger seat covers and everything for it, just got to get the carpet and I can reinstall the interior.

Then, finish scraping all the clear coat off...then...get that supercharger/head/carb all mounted up :D

Not too much work left to do.

Also, I'll be painting this car myself. It'll be my first paint job done by me, so...haha. My theory is though, if I mess it up, its a little car, could probably sand it down in a day...haha.

• 2 months later...

Great car!

I have a friend who has been a glh owner since 1991. I copied the paperwork that you posted here and sent them to him. He loved looking at the original papers on this car! He is also very jealous of the factory sante fe blue. He has a black glh, I think it is an 85. He hit a deer a year or so ago and is in the process of fixing the car up. He has a turbo II engine and 555 trans, from an 88 shelby daytona that he wants to swap in it.

If you want his contact info, let me know. I believe that he has a few connections on original glh parts (including parts that he owns).

Here is some production info that he provided:

Santa Fe blue was only available on GLH’s (and Shelby Chargers).

3,285 84 GLHs were made. They have no side skirts or front spoiler, and have 4-lug “swiss cheese” wheels. There were no turbo models in 1984.

6,513 85 GLHs were made. 3,004 carbureted, and 3,509 turbos.

1,269 GLHs were painted Santa Fe blue in 1985. No breakdown for how many blue cars were carbed or turbo.

1986:

3,129 GLHs. (I think that includes the 500 Shelby-modified GLHS)

882 carbed, and 2,247 turbos.

824 Santa Fe blue cars.

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
I've always liked these cars, for some odd reason. Maybe it is the sheer sleeper factor. Maybe becasue it was modified by the great Carrol Shelby. Maybe because I have always liked my cars on the eccentric side. In any case, such a great car you have and I am liking what you have done with it so far. Liking the wheel choice and how you are supercharging it, and I can't wait to see the car finished. It should be one heck of a beast once she is up and running. :)

Thanks everyone! And thanks Kev! I would actually like his contact info if that would be alright. He sounds pretty knowledgeable, so, may be able to lend me a hand :P And, is he on any of the Turbo-Dodge/Mopar boards?

Also...here's a little update.

I just about got the interior buttoned up. A used blue carpet (I'll buy a new one down the road...just looking to get it together) with gray shelby charger seats (with the CS logo), and gray side panels to make it look good together.

As far as the engine...I've changed my focus a little bit. Down the road, i will play a little more with the idea of supercharging it...but, in all honesty...it would be a lot easier to fabricate on a stand, an if I do it, I want it right, and not rigged...so...thats going to wait.

For now, I am keeping it naturally aspirated. I'm installing a 782 fast burn (smaller cc) head which will up the compression a little, fed by a Holley 350 2bbl carb with a hooker long tube header dealing with the waste disposal. Some gasket matching will be done on the intake/head to increase flow a little, and the GLH Hi-Po cam gear will be used with a stock TBI roller cam which will advance timing 4 degrees which will help with a little more low end. The fuel/air mix will be sparked with a Jacobs electronic box and coil in loop with the original Hi-Po computer (which has a different timing curve).

I'm told to be expecting somewhere around 135-140hp if done right, which won't be a whole lot, but, thats about what the stock turbo cars were, and, in this little go-kart, that'll be plenty for now...haha.

Down the road, though, with the strapping of a huffer atop of all this along with the Holley 500 carb, I'd see 160-165hp not being too far fetched, and thats real close to the Shelby GLHS numbers...however, in a supercharged configuration would mean tire spinning through fifth gear joy...

But...until then, i want to get it done to drive it and have fun with it in "for the most part" stock form. Also...the lady who I got it from is begging me to finish it and bring it down to show her :P And, I was at the dealership it was bought from not too long ago and mentioned it to the parts guy that thats where it was sold, and he said he vaugley remembered that car as they only ever had one blue Omni...haha.

So...kinda cool :P

But, I'll update pics in a few days. Looking to get real serious on this car here in the next few...my truck's gas mileage is eating me alive...haha.

• 2 weeks later...

well...got the head off of it to install the new(er) one, and the cylinder walls and pistons look brand new. Not even a ridge on the cylinder walls...not too shabby for 120,000 miles...lol

The stock cam was ground a bit, though...not sure why, but, I've got a roller setup for it thats about the same lift anyway, so, no problem there.

She should be running well enough to be driveable this weekend.

Then comes the body work :P

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Earl...and yes, I plan on cutting the springs down a little bit...or getting some neon lowering springs off Ebay...whichevers the better route...lol

But, as far as my progress...

I tore the top end of the engine apart (cylinder walls look brand new...don't have any ridges, scratches, or anything)...did a bunch of cleaning in the engine bay...and, I think its really coming around. And, today, I got everything done, all I have yet to do is install the radiator and hook all the hoses (maybe 10 minutes) and put the valve cover gasket on (maybe 10 minutes as well), and I'll be done, and it'll be ready to fire up. But, get this...it hasn't rained here in 2 months. Well, it decides to pour down raining tonight and has been raining for about an hour now. :(

But, as of now, it has the 782 swirl port small chamber head which will up compression as well, and the intake ports have been gasket matched and the floor lowered a tad (didn't go too crazy with it). Installed the header and freshly cleaned intake, and put the timing belt back on. I have my new valve cover sitting on top of it right now, and, it looks very nice, I think.

Also installed a Jacobs Electronics coil in the factory location, and I eliminated all the vacuum lines for all the emissions crap that I don't need. It really cleaned the engine bay up.

But, tomorrow it'll be running and I'll take it for a spin around the block. It should sound pretty potent with 11:1 compression and an open header :D Kinda can't wait to hear it...haha.

Well...here's some pics...kinda a before after thing to give you a better idea of what all I did.

(and don't worry...a lot more detailing to be done and a lot has been done since these pictures were taken (wire wheeled the top of the trans/painted some stuff black that got painted red/painted the fuel line/cleaned up the wires/etc)). And the spots on the firewall are oil from when I doused the cam when I set the valve cover on it. Its already off and actually helped shine the paint :P

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC01325.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC05903.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC05960.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC05949.jpg

haha...

well...started her today. Let me just say this...with 11:1 (at least) compression and a long tube header with a carb atop it all...this is one radical sounding SOB. Sitting there idling like a drag car, and it has a stock TBI roller cam out of an 89 Horizon...haha.

I haven't driven it yet, though, as my header is glowing and I want to make sure the timing is set, and its too late to do that now. But, Saturday (I have school in the AM and work in the PM tomorrow), she'll be driven around the block.

I have a feeling its going to be a tire spinning, torque steering extravaganza. But, should be fun.

Then I can get my interior bolted in, and then start working on the body :D

I'll post a video Saturday of it running just so you can hear the radicalness of an open header 2.2 :P

• 2 weeks later...

Got the interior mostly done. The rest has to wait till I get a headliner (just the side pieces), and the door panels are waiting till I get all new door handles...but I have have everything ready to install. Its come a long way, though, I think.

From biology experiment...

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC00943.jpg

To functional, clean, interior :P

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC06030.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC06031.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC06034.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC06049.jpg

also...here's one I took tonight...kinda looks evil. And, the 11.5:1CR 2.2 breathes with the new alternator. It now charges, which is nice...lol

But...here's the pic. Looks kinda dark and disturbing. :P

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/dark.jpg