pissed off.

asap

so as many of you know i am new to the starion/conquests, i have a 89 palemo grey conquest. i bought it from tony aka conquest34, the next day the oil pump went out, and after telling him what happened he quit answering my phone calls.... well i let the car sit bought a motor from danny aka madhatch. well i finally paid hourly to rent a space in a garage to pull the old motor out and put the new one in... i got everything in the car runs, but it seems it is getting no oil to the head.... the valves were making all kinds of noice, when the car was running i put my hand over where you put the oil in w/o the cap on, i didnt get any oil on my hand what so ever.... now for starters i do not think danny sold me a bad motor. he told me the car it came out of had 80 something thousand miles, and it ran good and i believe him he seems like a stand up guy, he even offered to help me put it in and warranty it. somehow i do believe between the 2 yrs of when it came out to the time i aquired it something happened and i do not know what. it seems to me like either something is gummed up and not allowing the head to get oil, or the oil pump is bad... now since i was renting the space hrly, i didnt go as far as to take the oil pan off and look or anything the car right now runs and drives and doesnt knock, but there is alot of chatter comeing from the head. when i drained the oil out that motor it was very thick, almost sludgy, is it possibly the pick up for the oil pump is stopped up? i really do not want to drive the car much less crank it up until i get opinions i dont have the money to keep throwing away on motors also there is a line that for now i blocked off so i could get the car running.... i will explain where it is and maybe someone can tell me where it goes im pretty sure it doesnt go back to the motor anywhere... the line is on the oil pan passenger side of the car... its a long rubber hose... i do not know where it goes. i only know where it comes from. which is off the oil pan under the turbo right below the oil cooler and all that. also before i call tomorrow to advanced auto, where can i get a throttle body gasket? i have a leak because although i thought the one on my car looked good enough to use , obviously the car thought otherwise. all opinions would be appreciated, im honestly getting sick of this car, its ran good for 1 day out of the past month, and im about ready to pull my hair out. i know nothing about the internals of the g54b , nor have i ever set timing on a timing chain driven motor. i would really rather pay someone to come to my house and fix it since none of the shops really wanna mess with it, but hey thats up to whoever, i have over 900 dollars in the car already and it still doesnt run right. someone help. thanks

so as many of you know i am new to the starion/conquests, i have a 89 palemo grey conquest. i bought it from tony aka conquest34, the next day the oil pump went out, and after telling him what happened he quit answering my phone calls.... well i let the car sit bought a motor from danny aka madhatch. well i finally paid hourly to rent a space in a garage to pull the old motor out and put the new one in... i got everything in the car runs, but it seems it is getting no oil to the head.... the valves were making all kinds of noice, when the car was running i put my hand over where you put the oil in w/o the cap on, i didnt get any oil on my hand what so ever.... now for starters i do not think danny sold me a bad motor. he told me the car it came out of had 80 something thousand miles, and it ran good and i believe him he seems like a stand up guy, he even offered to help me put it in and warranty it. somehow i do believe between the 2 yrs of when it came out to the time i aquired it something happened and i do not know what. it seems to me like either something is gummed up and not allowing the head to get oil, or the oil pump is bad... now since i was renting the space hrly, i didnt go as far as to take the oil pan off and look or anything the car right now runs and drives and doesnt knock, but there is alot of chatter comeing from the head. when i drained the oil out that motor it was very thick, almost sludgy, is it possibly the pick up for the oil pump is stopped up? i really do not want to drive the car much less crank it up until i get opinions i dont have the money to keep throwing away on motors also there is a line that for now i blocked off so i could get the car running.... i will explain where it is and maybe someone can tell me where it goes im pretty sure it doesnt go back to the motor anywhere... the line is on the oil pan passenger side of the car... its a long rubber hose... i do not know where it goes. i only know where it comes from. which is off the oil pan under the turbo right below the oil cooler and all that. also before i call tomorrow to advanced auto, where can i get a throttle body gasket? i have a leak because although i thought the one on my car looked good enough to use , obviously the car thought otherwise. all opinions would be appreciated, im honestly getting sick of this car, its ran good for 1 day out of the past month, and im about ready to pull my hair out. i know nothing about the internals of the g54b , nor have i ever set timing on a timing chain driven motor. i would really rather pay someone to come to my house and fix it since none of the shops really wanna mess with it, but hey thats up to whoever, i have over 900 dollars in the car already and it still doesnt run right. someone help. thanks

What was you expecting from Tony? A refund or price adjustment? You have $900.00 dollars in a Conquest and you are already complaining about funds? You best be gettin rid of that car boy, before it starts using your lunch and snack money next. You run along now.....ya hear?!!

Is your oil pressure gauge showing oil pressure?

What grade oil did you put in it?

That hose is the oil drain for the separator.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/oilsep.gif

If you want to clean it out from whatever might be in there as far as sludge goes drain that oil and put in 4 qts of some inexpensive transmission fluid and only let it idle for about 5 minutes then drain it and put in your oil, say 15w-40.

Your 86 oil separator is bolted to the air filter can.

The lifters may just be full of air from sitting so long, after you remove the valve cover and see if they are there or mechanical, you can loosen up the rocker assembly and remove them and wash them but at least you need to bleed them but I'd wash them.

Here's the factory service bulletin in .pdf format, its instructions how to clean them.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/lash%20cleaning.pdf

You can bleed them through the hole in the rocker arm tip or remove them if you don't have that fine wire to do it.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/TSBs/noisy%20lifters.jpg

Here's the bleeder tool

http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=459

http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.com/img/addtoorder.jpg Tool Number 8351 Your Price (USD) $43.68 Tool Name RELEASE PROBE Description Use this special release probe to bleed the air from the hydraulic lash adjusters in 3.2 & 3.5 Liter engines during valve train servicing procedures. 1999 thru current http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.com/img/clear.gif http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.com/PARTIMG/8351.gif

and the clips to keep the lifters from falling out if anyone is looking for those they are a convenience item

http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=1268&gid=7

http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.com/img/addtoorder.jpg Tool Number MD998443 Your Price (USD) $44.76 Tool Name HOLDER,AUTO LASH ADJUSTER Description This set of 8 special holders are designed to hold the auto lash adjusters in place during removal and installation of rocker arm assemblies on 2.4L and 3.0 Liter engines in the ST22. Thru 2005 Note: 2 sets are required for 6 cylinder engines http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.com/img/clear.gif http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.com/PARTIMG/MD998443.gif

Edited by Indiana

If you didn't clean out the oil cooler and the lines the crap from the previous failure will just wash thru your 2nd engine causing damage to it.

Dad

If you didn't clean out the oil cooler and the lines the crap from the previous failure will just wash thru your 2nd engine causing damage to it.

Dad

Yes, exactly. Hit on the nail. If he threw a rod bearing or had bad bearing wear on the previous motor or any metal debris, it all ends up in the oil cooler lines and oil cooler. If that's not flushed out completely it's gonna trash the new engines your putting in.

asap,

You may need to prime the oil pump. On the passenger side of the block, near the front is a plug. I believe it takes a 5.5mm allen wrench to remove it. Take that off and pour about a quart of oil in it. You will need a hose or tube to pour it in, I used the tubing used in aquariums for air lines.

Jimmy

I'm assuming he has oil pressure since he said it runs and drives with no knock just upper end rattle. \\ A Mechanical oil pressure gauge won't hurt. You might have trash in the rocker shafts, arms, lifters or wrong shafts with hydraulic lifters. or mechanical setup with loose settings, i would not drive it until it's taken care of.

Dad

What was you expecting from Tony? A refund or price adjustment? You have $900.00 dollars in a Conquest and you are already complaining about funds? You best be gettin rid of that car boy, before it starts using your lunch and snack money next. You run along now.....ya hear?!!

i have over 900.00 in this conquest all together. i traded my supra turbo and a month old lap top for this conquest whichi got from tony. he also was going to pull the driver tail light off another quest because the one on the car he traded me is cracked,but i had to come back down because the car had a exaust manifold gasket leak, and he said he would help me with it and it was already 10:30 at night and i had a 3 1/2 hr drive still.its not a price adjustment i wanted from him more so i wanted his help with getting the car right, i was going to pay him gas money and for a long block/shortblock and get him to come help me since i only had the car for a day and it already blew up. i AM complaining because ive had the car a month and some change and it ran half --------------- for one day. and i have almost 1,000 dollars into a motor and car that doesnt run properly. also whats with being so rude, and calling me boy and acting as if im a kid. i dont come on here to be belittled, im asking for help. thanks.

Edited by asap

its not rude, just being frank, i think folks wanna help but its like i told ya, these motors are far from problem free. I feel like you should have cleaned out the oil screen. You have to understand the concern some of these folks have, they have a lot of money in their cars and it takes some just to keep them on the road. I do understand your concern, especially being new to the forums. Without actually hearing the tick and how loud it is its harder for us to help. From talking to you I understand your problem was not that you thought you got a bum deal with myself or Tony but when you called you seemed to have gotten a lack of support and maybe even a cold shoulder about possible questions you had.

You have flamers on all forums, hopefully thee guys from above will set aside the prejudgments they might have made and understand that your just tapped out, and frustrated. Most of the guys here dont use the quest as their only driver. Or if they do they have 2 or 10 of them in the drive way.

ill look around for a TB gasket i know i have an extra canister for ya in my stock pile along with enough parts to rebuild the motor 10x. run a compression test for me an all 4 when ya get a chance and let me know what the oil pressure is, sounds like you love the car, so be ready, you love them or hate them and for some reason there is no real in between. look for Jimmy and dad for advice they are very helpful, and try not to keep track of the funds input into it.. it will sadden ya.

guys try and cut him a little slack, he is new and means well i dont think his post articulate that as well as he means, i talked to him this a.m. and he is just at an impass with the car and its his daily, only driver. We have all been there at one time.

thanks

Dan

its not rude, just being frank, i think folks wanna help but its like i told ya, these motors are far from problem free. I feel like you should have cleaned out the oil screen. You have to understand the concern some of these folks have, they have a lot of money in their cars and it takes some just to keep them on the road. I do understand your concern, especially being new to the forums. Without actually hearing the tick and how loud it is its harder for us to help. From talking to you I understand your problem was not that you thought you got a bum deal with myself or Tony but when you called you seemed to have gotten a lack of support and maybe even a cold shoulder about possible questions you had.

You have flamers on all forums, hopefully thee guys from above will set aside the prejudgments they might have made and understand that your just tapped out, and frustrated. Most of the guys here dont use the quest as their only driver. Or if they do they have 2 or 10 of them in the drive way.

ill look around for a TB gasket i know i have an extra canister for ya in my stock pile along with enough parts to rebuild the motor 10x. run a compression test for me an all 4 when ya get a chance and let me know what the oil pressure is, sounds like you love the car, so be ready, you love them or hate them and for some reason there is no real in between. look for Jimmy and dad for advice they are very helpful, and try not to keep track of the funds input into it.. it will sadden ya.

guys try and cut him a little slack, he is new and means well i dont think his post articulate that as well as he means, i talked to him this a.m. and he is just at an impass with the car and its his daily, only driver. We have all been there at one time.

thanks

Dan

well as far as oil pressure, my stock gauge in the car reads all the way past high, but the only time i looked at it was when we first started the car up last night, possibly could be a bad sensor? maybe it will go down once the car rund for a min, i think i will try to run some sea foam through it and change the oil again, or i may just take the oil pan off, and clean the screen with brake parts cleaner and check some things out a little better and replace the oil pan gasket. but i do remember that oil gauge even when i got the car alwasy read super high, and i know that the oil isnt that high because i only had to put 4 1/2 quarts or so in it to fill it up.

also sorry to anyone else if i rubbed you the wrong way, dan is right, i love my car, but i am unemployed and i was hoping to get this car out the way before i went on the hunt again, and it just seems like one thing after another. i really am at a crossroads, i know the rarety of the actual car i have which makes it super hard to want to get rid of it if i had to but yeah, im sorry if i struck the wrong cord.im just limited on money right now and i know that you cant half a** everything but im not ignorant to cars, im just a noob to the internals of these motors lol, it would be nice to have someone over look my work, but no one here messes with them and you can barely get a shop to touch one, they almost seemed cursed?

well as far as oil pressure, my stock gauge in the car reads all the way past high, but the only time i looked at it was when we first started the car up last night, possibly could be a bad sensor? maybe it will go down once the car rund for a min, i think i will try to run some sea foam through it and change the oil again, or i may just take the oil pan off, and clean the screen with brake parts cleaner and check some things out a little better and replace the oil pan gasket. but i do remember that oil gauge even when i got the car alwasy read super high, and i know that the oil isnt that high because i only had to put 4 1/2 quarts or so in it to fill it up.

If the oil pressure gauge is pegging out, you either have the wrong one or the wire isn't connected to it. If you decide to drop the oil pan you will need to remove the two bushings on the sway bar so it will swing out of the way.

Jimmy

If the oil pressure gauge is pegging out, you either have the wrong one or the wire isn't connected to it. If you decide to drop the oil pan you will need to remove the two bushings on the sway bar so it will swing out of the way.

Jimmy

jimmy back to the whole kickstarting the oil pump thing you were talking about.... by putting the qt of oil into the oil pump what would i want to do with it after that, drain the oil? wouldnt it make the oil level way higher? what im about to do as soon as i eat lunch is take the valve cover off and unhook the dizzy to see if oil is flowing to the head or not. dan also said that he cannot remember if the balance shaft is eliminated on that motor, that if it is it could very well be the noise i hear, dont get me wrong the noise is noticeable but its not super super loud, it could be timing chain noise, something to do with the BSE, or lifters. hopefully i will know more when i check oil flow.

please put a mechanical gauge on the motor even if you run the hose on the outside of the body just get an accurate reading. if it is way up there than you have a blockage of your oiling system and your pick up screen in not plugged. if you have no oil pressure than you either have a bad oil pump or out of temperance bearings or lifters. you still havent told us if they are mechanical adjustment or hydraulic. hydraulic use your oil pressure to keep them filled up with oil so if you have pressure but no oil in the top end than you have a blockage and are damaging the cam journals and other important internals. owning this car should be labor of love not expecting to put 3 million miles on a car a do absolutely nothing. any time you purchase a used car it is buyer beware. when i got my ram50 diesel it had a spun bearing,,,,,,,,,,over 2grand later i have a nice rebuilt motor. just doing a used motor swap is like Russian roulette.

what im about to do as soon as i eat lunch is take the valve cover off and unhook the dizzy to see if oil is flowing to the head or not.

Definitely do this first. If you are getting oil up to the head, it could just be the lifters haven't pumped up yet. They run noisy the first 2-3 minutes on a new engine.

jimmy back to the whole kickstarting the oil pump thing you were talking about.... by putting the qt of oil into the oil pump what would i want to do with it after that, drain the oil? wouldnt it make the oil level way higher?

Yes, you would have to drain enough out to get it down to the correct level. You said you only put 4.5 quarts in it, just add the other 1/2 through the hole above the pump.

dan also said that he cannot remember if the balance shaft is eliminated on that motor, that if it is it could very well be the noise i hear, dont get me wrong the noise is noticeable but its not super super loud, it could be timing chain noise, something to do with the BSE, or lifters. hopefully i will know more when i check oil flow.

For about $3 you can buy an automotive stethoscope at Harbor Freight. It can help you pinpoint the noise.

Jimmy

well good news. it appears the oil pump is working, the head has oil in it when i took the valve cover off, and it also appears to have be mechanical? i see adjustment screws on the lifters.i took the air box out to connect that hose off the oil pan but on the bottom of that canister the part for that hose isnt there is broke off, i dont know when or if it was there when i got the car... i have a bolt stuck in that line right now because i need to figure out where else to maybe put it, or should i just let it suck in open air? im kinda happy to know that at least it is flowing good, but im curious as to know what the chatter is? timing chain maybe? could it be from the balance shaft possibly being emilinated? its not like its a intolerable chatter its just there....

good news getting oil,yes that is good news,,

if the lash is adjusted right the your noise is coming from

some where else

the oil was changed right??(sorry i didnt read the whole post)

the exhaust lash i set @ .09

the intake lash i set @ .06

someone else should post up their lash preferences

EDIT ,,,i see you changed the oil

you would be suprized how many people dont

Edited by quikconq

I'm waiting from an MMS photo from him, but he was telling me on the phone that his intake lifters have a nut with a phillips adjustment ( mechanical ) but the exhaust side didn't :blink: I told him to not run the car till I saw the photo, because BOTH sides should be the same...

and also, sincei t seemed to be mechanical, that he probably needed to readjust the valve lash. Also talked him through over the phone on where the allen bolt fitting is in the side of the block and to rig up a cheap sunpro mech. oil pressure gauge just to verify his oil pressure.

Plug the hose coming from the oil pan for now. You really need to replace the oil cannister and hook it up properly. Where does the hose coming out of the top of the valve cover run to?

Jimmy

oh for the record they were hydrolic lifters sorry about that. the back of the valve cover has a after market air breather on it, like a mini cone filter. and no lines are coming off of it now. i see how the hosing is suppose to run from the diagram indiana posted... i dont know locally where to get another air box/canister from. i ordered the throttle body base gasket today it will be here tuesday, so i was just going to leave the car alone for now + i have the throttle body off the car and it just spews coolant everywhere so before anything im going to fix that.i got to thinking could it possibly be a timing chain tensioner or something.

Edited by asap

If you didn't drain some of the coolant out of the radiator before you pulled the throttlebody off, you dumped coolant into the intake manifold. You need to get the coolant out of the intake before you start the car.

The little filter on the back of the valve cover will do for now, just plug the hose coming out of the oilpan. I'd suggest you post in the wanted forum for the oil separator and line/hose from the valve cover to it. It bolts to the aircan so you don't need the entire aircan, just the separator.

Jimmy