Really considering a Z06

Drwojo

Buy a 2003-2004 Cobra. A better platform to make more power looks much better and you dont see hhalf as much of them. Plus I bet your insurance will be cheaper to

2004 Mystic Cobra=drool...Deff my dream car!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have taken a C6 with a z51 package out for a spin multiple times (stepdads). It was plenty of fun. The interior was nice enough to not pay attention to when being "driven". I did feel that the foot well was ridiculously small. My feet would catch on everything. My father had a C4 automatic and I think my starquest could out run it almost everywhere. Plus small foot well. I am personally looking at a C5 Z06 with 20-40K miles. Looking to spend from 20-25K$. Ride comfort means nothing to me. I either ride/drive a R6, super stiff starquest, or a terrible ford ranger for my dailys. None of them are smooth. And I know people say that domestics are "cheaply" made but the drivetrain seems to hold up to abuse pretty well. The camaro has about 165K miles and takes plenty of abuse from me and the miss. Plus a vette just seems to feel stable at all speeds, something my starquest just doesn't. And the whole passing them thing sorta would suck, but how many of them are my age actually enjoying their car. Not a status symbol.

Buy a 2003-2004 Cobra. A better platform to make more power looks much better and you dont see hhalf as much of them. Plus I bet your insurance will be cheaper to

2004 Mystic Cobra=drool...Deff my dream car!

I thought of a cobra but its still a mustang. To most people its a mustang. Would much rather a corvette.

Not just any mustang. 4.6 with an eaton supercharger. Makes 400hp stock and is really easy to get to 500whp. PLus its got IRS so it actually handles. Slap a kenne bell supercharger on it and your done

My friends brother has one with a pulley/tune/intake/exhaust and it makes 480whp and more trq with the stock eaton on it

Not just any mustang. 4.6 with an eaton supercharger. Makes 400hp stock and is really easy to get to 500whp. PLus its got IRS so it actually handles. Slap a kenne bell supercharger on it and your done

My friends brother has one with a pulley/tune/intake/exhaust and it makes 480whp and more trq with the stock eaton on it

True, but it's still a mustang. If your goal is to buy something with good power levels and make a monster with aftermarket goodies, then buy a boosted cobra. But if you want a nice weekend car that is meticulously built/engineered "by america's standards" then the vette is the better choice imho.

Thats the wrong Cobra. Only 2003 or 2004 came supercharged. They are known as Terminators. All the other year cobras just came with the DOCH 32V 4.6 N/A.

Much better :)

http://mustangsusa.tripod.com/2003MysticCobra.jpg

Well, my neighbor has a modified Z06. It's yellow with some bada$$ yellow rims. All I know is when he leaves in the morning to go to work I can hear him leaving the neighborhood. Not because it's loud or anything, but just the sound it makes as he starts out and cruises down the road is so distinctive it sounds like nothing else. Can you tell I've lived here too long?

yes, leafsprings.

LOL

That's it?

Please, allow me.

You don't like the "idea" of leaf springs, all the while not understanding why they are in fact superior in all aspects except for the full on track car where minute adjustments are desired and implemented quickly to shave time. It's a PR mis-step on GM's behalf. Had they elected to don the "leaf spring" with a much more accurate moniker, idiots across the land would find something else to "bash" and not infect others with their lackluster technical comprehension skillsets. Something to the effect of "transverse mounted semi-elliptical carbon composite spring" is much closer to actuality and doesn't remind you of parabolic "leaf springs" found on solid axle trucks. The only thing they have in common is their shape and that they store energy, as the differences in how they are both utilized are quite vast.

Coil springs, torsion bars, and leaf springs are modeled identically when it comes to chassis dynamics analysis. They all have a rate, which can be either constant or variable. They all perform the same function, but composite leaf springs are lighter than steel coil springs and steel leaf springs. They also don't suffer from corrosion, unlike their steel counterparts. A leaf spring can be adjusted very easily to be almost any spring rate at any position, they are more linear, and they have a much less tendency to sag. An additional benefit from their composite construction is that their fatigue life far surpasses that of steel designs. Should I even mention the extreme weight advantage they offer, or how their placement in the chassis is about as optimal as possible(low and centered)? I didn't think so.

Speaking strictly from a design standpoint, it's much more advantageous to spread spring and damping loads out as far as possible, thus is the case with the C6 Z06 "leaf springs" as they distribute the load through the front crossmember in addition to the side rails via the crossmember mounts rather than concentrating both spring and shock loads upon a solitary point on the control arm. By physically separating them, they are not competing for the same real estate, so the shock can be larger, more robust and the control arm mounting point is optimized to maximize shock authority which accentuates its damping abilities.

At the end of the day, if you do track your car in a serious manner, all those stock suspension parts will be replaced with a set of full bodied coilovers, swaybars and various other traction/toe rods. Same as with the Z06.

I'm no Chevy fan, in fact I think all their cars can be beaten in virtually all categories with other brands. All except the Z06 and ZR1, they just build them right.

Anything else you'd like to attempt to disclose as a Z06 fault?

Edited by JustPaus_88TSi

Well I'm glad everyone has had a chance to flex some car muscle knowledge. I still don't know if a weeks worth of pay can justify one of the biggest acheivements/enjoyments of my everyday life. I am 21. It will be expensive. The car will be mine but enrolled in with my home insurance along with my girlfriends name. She is 25 so there should be a break on price. My starquest will still be my main autocross/drift car. I just want reliable and fast. Any bad things with the car. I have heard about the water pumps going out and they will need replaced, but that is a fairly simple job. Anyone else had problems with them? Know of any problems other than camaroish interior.

Do like I did. Search until you find you a nice 2005-2007 C6 vette. Mine is an 04 C5 Millenium Yellow and I bought it for $22k cash with only 19k miles on it in feb 08. I searched over 100 vettes until found that one. then I added a set of LG Long tube headers without cats, 02sims, Borla stinger exhaust. Has heads from from the LS2,and a EnglandGreen cam, VARARAM CAI and tuned at ThunderRacing. So I went from 350hpmotor to about 500hp and that's without an supercharger or turbo kit which is next. so i will be upgrading my fuel pump and injectors.

I luv my Vette and its a daily driver and has not had a problem yet unlike my quest's did. But I will be getting another Quest in the very near future as soon as Intercooledflatty sels me the yellow auto one that he has.

care to elaborate on this?

I'd really like to hear your view.

^ Haha, get 'em Tyler.

Yeah dude, C5 Z06, you can't go wrong. Probably the best bang for the buck on a true sports car, ever.

EDIT: If you can, get the one with the magnesium wheels, I think it was 2003's only or something. Their like 7lbs each.

RE-EDIT: Upon further research, the mag. wheels were available over several years as a special option.

Edited by dmyers151

care to elaborate on this?

I'd really like to hear your view.

Yeah....I will elaborate, you can't find nothing quicker & faster than a Z06 for the money he is wanting to spend unless you buy somebody's already tired molested junk. He did say he wanted something reliable.

I like the amount of enthusiasm this car has received. I think I have talked myself out it. Maybe in another year. I already own a bike. A little faster and better gas mileage. Not the same but I can go really fracken fast if I want to. About as fast as I can handle. At 620 a month on a silly 8 month car I would rather invest the money or dump it into my house......or starquest. Either way another year of price dropping and I should have 50% down and enough to buy some really nice tires.

Smart man you are!!!!

A corvette at 21 = more court costs and fines then you want to imagine, cops look at corvettes like gold mines, they figure only old men drive them anyway so if they see one doing anything slightly out of place your busted.

Thats why i loved my subaru wagon :wub: 380 AWHP, with the image of a soccer mom or an old lady, and even then i racked up 10 points. :mad:

I'll be blunt,

For the money you pour in a newer muscle car, you could have a nice 12 to 13 second reliable weekend warrior. But if you really want something custom tailored to your specs and go a little quicker than 12's? I would get something like a older F-Body or Fox Body and still have something that will turn heads and won't rape your bank account. I'd like to say go "Mopar", but how long has it been since Mopar built something that looks like muscle without a hint of grandmaw in it? scratch out the Chargers & 300's, cause them are some uglyass rides unless you favor 4 doors.

One other car that you might look into is the GTO's also. I just picked up an 06 which has the 400hp ls2. They are kind of the unknown, you don't see very many of them. The 04 had the LS1 and the 05-06 has the LS2. There is a big aftermarket for them and the interior is very comfortable. They are a cheaper than the z06 but have close to the same performance (I've done a 70-125 run on interstate against an c5 z06 and he barely pulled on me.)

Yeah....I will elaborate, you can't find nothing quicker & faster than a Z06 for the money he is wanting to spend unless you buy somebody's already tired molested junk. He did say he wanted something reliable.

as far as quicker than a Z06, for half the price, and with a few mods, you could get a SRT8 cherokee to pretty much keep with it in the 1/4...its gone off the line out of the box :P Lets see a Chevy Equinox or Tahoe beat that...lol

But...really, if one were to buy a brand new Z06 for the some $75000, you could get an SRT8 Challenger that would be damn near close, if not faster. The Vipers are fast...but, they are more meant for handling and top end then quickness...but, even still they are.

Also, reliability...funny...never had any issues myself nor has the few people we know with new trucks and challengers.

Not the right time or place.....but, to the OP...

I think the right choice was made. I'd rather sink the price of a new car into my older car, and have basically everything on it new, and be able to run circles around the new one...while having the pride that I built it.

Then again...thats just me.

One other car that you might look into is the GTO's also. I just picked up an 06 which has the 400hp ls2. They are kind of the unknown, you don't see very many of them. The 04 had the LS1 and the 05-06 has the LS2. There is a big aftermarket for them and the interior is very comfortable. They are a cheaper than the z06 but have close to the same performance (I've done a 70-125 run on interstate against an c5 z06 and he barely pulled on me.)

I'd think it has much closer to the performance of base model Vette rather than a Z-06.

and they ARE good cars, and fast and all that......aside from looking like a suppository.

Turborusty