idler arm bushing

topher87

sorry to ask this in the BS section but I need a answer asap and this section gets the most traffic haha. well I'm trying to replace all steering and suspension component and what a nightmare i going to have to order from 10 different places to get what i want, hell moog isn't even making most of it any more witch sucks cause they are the only serviceable one i can find well back to the question are the idler arm bushing the same for narrow and wide bodies i thought i once read somewhere they are not but i couldn't find it again in the search

thanks T87

if your looking for the fatty idler, don't bother, I spent many hours trying to find stuff but you cant, just go to a custom seal place to get the two seals made then for the bearings take the top one (for mine it was totally un-warn) and get a machine shop to make you a couple. Or do what I did cause I had no time and take the top seal and bearing then put it on the bottom, grease everything up them put it all back together with a new ny-lock nut if needed

I bought a narrowbody kit and didn't use it, but think it will work. The parts you need are all the same size. You can't reuse the seals, but the bushings should work fine.

I ended up buying a kit from Whiteline. It is like 8 bucks. They had an older kit I guess and reports are that the Whiteline kit can use the OEM seals. It looks like that has changed though and a note on my order states that the part I got is a substitute for the other. Still the Whiteline replacement is nice and I think it is better than the common narrowbody part.

As for how fresh this info is. I just put it in the weekend after ordering last Monday (Aug 26, 2013). Order it from a US distributor, because shipping from down under is like $70. I had mine rush shipped to get it before the Labor Day weekend, and had to pay a premium, so shipping was a bit up there. But the distributor (Western Import supply?) had really reasonable shipping if I could have waited another week or so.

I left my relay rod connected and just disconnected the idler and pulled it apart while connected to the relay rod. That relay rod is not an easy to find part. While I had sourced one I'd rather keep it for a later date if I don't have to use it.

Over all I like the Whiteline part better than the common narrowbody part. It is a stiff urethane part. I'd guess it's ability to compress and return will mean for longer wear. The compression takes force as it is quite stiff, but it would not be prone to deform and become permanently damage, like a plastic piece.

Edited by Cloud81918