My new gun craze..

89PalermoSHP

Unfortunately, I had to sell off my extra parts to fund it but Im really excited about my next purchase. Im getting the S&W M&P 15-22 MOE. Its a .22lr AR style rifle. My cousin picked up one last weekend and they are just a blast. You can shoot 22's all day for 15 bucks and the gun is getting great reviews. Everything that fits on a normal AR will work and you can even drop in real trigger groups. The upper and lower are made of polymer but after giving it some thought I realized this is better because you can stratch the paint. Mine will hopefully be here by the weekend and ill be picking it up at the gun range so it will come out of the box, get a few drops of oil, and start popping off rounds. The price cant be beat for an afternoon of plinking fun.

Im opting for the Dark Earth version with Magpul stuff from the factory. Cant wait!!

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/811035_01_lg.jpg

I get shooting 22, but why this and not a much less expensive 10/22? For half the difference in cost you can outfit a 10/22 really well, and have more money for a second larger gun, car parts or many days worth of ammo.

I won't deny the this 22 looks pretty cool. But can you swap to a ,223 upper or something to make up the difference in price from the cheaper and better supported 10/22? If you can swap uppers that is awesome and I may buy one. But if not I seems like extra expense for a "assault" looking gun.

Really the only reason I can see to buy these are as a training device if you own an AR, but for most everyone range time on any cheap gun is better than what this would help with.

Edited by Cloud81918

Purely the cool factor. I am also looking at a 10/22, the Ruger Tactical Target w/ Hogue stock and bipod. Its roughly the same cost, just a little cheaper. It will be the next purchase. Ill have an AR style and a tactical/sniper style. To me, since Im not a hunter and dont care to shoot animals, its just putting holes in paper. I can do it for .50 cents a hole or .08 cents a hole. Im going to wait until I can afford the 223 i really want... the Galil ARM 392. Original guns from Isreal are $3500 and up. For now its just about having some fun. It seems like its the new rage and ever the surly old guys at the range love them.

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/ruger_1230.jpg

They are both fun. I shoot my 10/22 more just because its been around longer, and if your gonna play its lots cheaper even though I have my 223 down to .18 a round( load your own). THat and the 15-22 gets non gun people to convert very easy.

some of you may find this silly but if you realy want to improve you range fireing skill , take some thing like a 880 daisy air rifle and

pratice with a 3x9 40 mm scope at 100 ft shooting thru a 5/16" bulls eye :)

once you get to where you can hit the bulls eye 9 out of 10 times pulling the 10 lb trigger pull of the air rifle you can shoot any gun out there and hit any target you aim at

it's not being able to see the target it's your ability to pull the trigger at the same time with out moveing the rifle , the air rifle will teach you how to do that

22lr is way beyound any air rifle, and is deadly at nearly a mile away

thats why shooting into a soft back stop is important a hard back stop can cause the bullet to bounce and go off in any direction

includeing right back at the shooter

22lr is way beyound any air rifle, and is deadly at nearly a mile away

thats why shooting into a soft back stop is important a hard back stop can cause the bullet to bounce and go off in any direction

includeing right back at the shooter

It will only be shot at the gun range Shelby ;) I will have to wait until I win the powerball to afford a place with a yard big enough to go out back. I was into airsoft stuff for a bit but the cost of the good ones is darn near a real gun. I couldnt get any of my buddies to get into it either so its not too much fun doing it alone. This way, I can have a tricked out AR that affordable to shoot. Ive still got a .45 and .44 if anyone decides to break into my house. But if you think about it, 25 rounds of 22lr wouldnt feel too good either :)

Edited by 89PalermoSHP

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, the pic is distorted and makes the gun look banana shaped.

Turborusty

I thought the same thing!!! lol

Thats so sick. My friend just bought a AR15 last night, I've yet to see it but I really want one.. What did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

Just to be totally clear... its a 15-22 as in a .22lr. Its not a conversion but a dedicated platform designed for the .22. It was $525 all said and done for the gun, $100 for the sight, $50 for the laser, and abot $50 for the rest of it. Primaryarms.com has the best prices for all of the accessories. $13 for a gun bag!!

What kind of scope and what are the specs on it?

Scope is a Barska ACOG knockoff. No zoom, red dot crosshairs. Id probably just get a cheapie holo red dot if I could do it again and spend a little more for something with some zoom. Since its only a .22 you can get away with the cheaper optics stuff. No sense spending what you spent on the gun again on a scope.

Finally got it today and took her to the range. Lots of fun it was :)

Where do you go to shoot around here? I used to go to Armored Fire in Circle Pines, or Bill's in Robbinsdale, but I haven't gone shooting in a least 3 years.

Nice, DPMS is a Minnesota company ;) Id like a 223 but for now, shooting a 22lr make much more economical sense.

I went to Burnsville Rifle and Pistol range in, you guessed it, Burnsville. Its nice and convenient for me and its only $14 shooting one gun, unlimited time. $4 more for another gun and $5 for another person. Really reasonable.

one place to NOT go cheap is the sighting system ,personaly i have never like'd the RED dot scope other then a bow sight ,

once you get into shooting small objects like say a quarter or dime at 100 yards the dot is too big , same thing with shooting 300 yrds or more the dot covers too much area , even with a 22lr never go below a 40mm 3x9 mid range or higher quality

plus a measure'd cross hair can help with alowing for distance elivation changes

normaly on any thing larger then a 22 i'd go with a 50mm scope , you can get a faster sight pic and more area shown in the sight pic window

Good advise Shelby. Like I was saying, Id like to get a nicer scope but the farthest weve shot so far is 47 yards. Its pretty tough to see that far with only a red dot sight but If I imagine Im trying to hit the area of a persons chest its pretty darn accurate.

I have about $335 into this so far and I picked up 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for about .20 a round shipped to my door. So the cost to shoot is not terrible. nice gun by the way, looks fun.

Check this place out for your ammo. http://www.ammoseek.com

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/SnookRyan/Mobile%20Uploads/1330046296.jpg

Edited by Hoosierquest

Nice gun. Magpul front grip I see ;)

Unfortunately for me, when I get my mind stuck on something I like I get obsessive about it. Ive wanted the Galil for quite some time so anything else would make me feel like I settled even though something that costs 1/4 of the price would probably perform just as well. Rare things trigger something in me to make irrational decisions lol. I honestly dont care much for the AR's and I dont really want a run of the mill AK. I dont NEED one of these guns so its more of a collector type mentality. Only 7000 or so Galil's(and Im not sure if thats all Galil;s or just the ARM) were ever imported to the US. Having something unique is the real draw to me. I just cant justify spending $3500 for something that will get used as often as it would, for right now anyway. ;)