• Please log in to reply
665 replies to this topic

#661 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:41 PM

Worked on installing the AEM Wideband today that I bought off Preludedude.  Unit was pretty much brand new - even came with the box, instructions, and "AEM" sticker.  Like I do with some of my posts I'm gonna make this "tutorial-ish" in case someone wants to copy.

First, I needed a place to thread in the O2 sensor attached to the wideband.  I had a fab shop add this O2 bung.  (Same pic I posted before).
Posted Image

After I installed the O2 sensor and the bolted the pipe back up, I needed to find a place to pass the wiring harness attached to the O2 sensor into the cabin.  When I removed the AC during the restoration process I never had the "plug" for the AC line, so I already had the hole in the firewall.  Best part - it's right next to the downpipe where the O2 sensor is threaded in.
Posted Image

Here it is from the inside of the car.
Posted Image

Because the exhaust is right next to this location in the firewall, there's a TON of extra cable.
Posted Image

Just to give you an idea - this is how much cable AEM gives you .... I'm standing at the trunk.
Posted Image

So, in order to eliminate some the excess cable I cut it in half.
Posted Image

There's 6 wires total on the AEM O2 harness.
Posted Image

Stripped all the ends:
Posted Image

Soldered everything back together:
Posted Image

Shrink tubed everything.
Posted Image

That takes care of the wiring harness coming from the O2 sensor.  There's a 2nd harness cable the powers the actual unit.  It contains 4 wires.
Posted Image

You can see the white and blue wires are optional.  So I just wired up the red (power) and black (ground) for now.  I added a spade to the power wire so I can connect to power somewhere, and I added a ringlet to the ground so I could ground to a ground screw.
Posted Image

When I took the carpet piece off the side of the radio console, I could see the stereo wiring harness.  Most aftermarket radio harnesses have a blue wire for AUX power.  I was pretty sure I hadn't used it for anything, and I was right.  It was just sitting there doing nothing.  (If you're running the OEM radio you'll have to probe and find a place to tap for power).
Posted Image

So I just simply added a spade to the Aux wire and drilled a hole in the sheet metal.  Connected everything up.  (I also wrapped that spade connection in electrical tape).
Posted Image

So here's the two wires ready to go to the gauge.
Posted Image
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#662 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:59 PM

AEM Wideband post cont ....

I have spent a TON of time thinking about where I wanted to mount this thing.  I already have 3 gauges mounted above the radio.  And I really didn't want to drill into the dash or pillar or someplace where it would leave a permanent scar inside the car.  That didn't leave me a whole lot of options.  Luckily, Preludedude helped me without even knowing it.  He fabbed this bracket up and left it on there when he shipped it to me.

Posted Image

I noticed sitting in the car and just staring the other day that using the bracket he left on there it would mount real nicely to the carpet piece on the side of the console.
Posted Image

My thought was ... if I'm going to drill into anything, the side carpet that's held in with 2 screws is a lot better than a dash or something like that.  Marked it up with a Sharpie.
Posted Image

Here's the best part.  The 2nd hole in the pic is actually already drilled.  So, if I would ever remove the wideband, even with a hole in the piece the carpet covers it pretty stinkin well.
Posted Image

I used an interior bolt and small screw so that if someone bumps it with their leg, it doesn't twist.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here it is with the gauge test fit.
Posted Image

Still had excess wire, so I zip tied everything up neatly.
Posted Image

Reinstalled everything.
Posted Image

The only thing I have to decide is if I should put a little wire loom on the exposed wiring you can see.  I'm really happy with how it came out though.  I have the car really tight against the wall on the drivers side, so I haven't seen it yet from the drivers position.  Hopefully it looks good from over there too.

Posted Image

#663 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted Yesterday, 04:31 AM

Perfect location as now all the gauges line right up.  

Glad my ghetto bracket came in handy for you also...

How old is that pioneer deck? :)

#664 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Its pretty old ... but intentional. I got it off eBay years back. I was trying to find something that was early 90's w/ at least a CD player that would be close to period correct.

The OEM deck that was in this car was the most perfect one I'd ever come across since being into these. I wrapped it in plastic and have it in storage.

Posted Image

#665 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted Yesterday, 10:40 AM

techboy, on 07 August 2020 - 10:14 AM, said:

Its pretty old ... but intentional. I got it off eBay years back. I was trying to find something that was early 90's w/ at least a CD player that would be close to period correct.

The OEM deck that was in this car was the most perfect one I'd ever come across since being into these. I wrapped it in plastic and have it in storage.

I see. I think those 3000GT Units look great also if your aiming for period correct/stock look....

#666 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:27 PM

I totally agree and have considered buying a few of them here and there as they've popped up in the F/S section. But, they're a double DIN and I need something single to retain my homemade gauge cluster.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users