Megasquirt questions? How to set-up? Just ask! Diagram post!

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 angryhobocarl

angryhobocarl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:street racing (the safe way)

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (cashsaudio)
you can save about $100-200 build it yourself or pay about 400 for MSII (fuel and spark) 3.0 which I have or about $325 for the MSnS (fuel and spark). But they have more options on MSnS. But you would having to do that. you can get EGT datalog, dual wideband, water injection control, launch control, shift light, alot more too. So I'm gonna get the MSnS later on. go to protocar.net they have assemble kit for a resonable price. and go to rs-autosport.com for better wiring. It seems they have the best wiring kit plus the cheapest too. I see you doing a motorswap what motor are you doing I can help you out with adapters too.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47452

his motor is what im swapping
86 Conquest tsi
light mods..nothing special

#22 cashsaudio

cashsaudio

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Interests:It wasn't me!!!

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (angryhobocarl)
QUOTE (cashsaudio)
you can save about $100-200 build it yourself or pay about 400 for MSII (fuel and spark) 3.0 which I have or about $325 for the MSnS (fuel and spark). But they have more options on MSnS. But you would having to do that. you can get EGT datalog, dual wideband, water injection control, launch control, shift light, alot more too. So I'm gonna get the MSnS later on. go to protocar.net they have assemble kit for a resonable price. and go to rs-autosport.com for better wiring. It seems they have the best wiring kit plus the cheapest too. I see you doing a motorswap what motor are you doing I can help you out with adapters too.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47452

his motor is what im swapping

Sorry about a long reply back. Alright Whats your goal of HP and TQ you want? Btw, are you going to be using the stock dist.? If so, don't use the caravan ignition module because it's had problems in the past for me. So I use every stock component in the dist but its a lock down. Its just like FIP but don't use the caravan module. If you need me to do it for ya I can do it no problem if you just send it to me. It only takes me about 10mins to do. You will need MSD PN 8509 for the trigger for the stock dist to the megasquirt. Then would get a cheap MSD 6a doesn't have to be new as long as it works. Btw, you can use the tach output on the msd 6a for using a tach. Works really good. Haven't test the stock tach but will soon. I can send you my settings to get you started.
2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe

#23 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:44 AM

whats the 6A for ?  I thought the MSD 8509 eliminated the need for it

#24 cashsaudio

cashsaudio

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (jinx)
whats the 6A for ?  I thought the MSD 8509 eliminated the need for it

Locked down stock dist----> MSD PN 8509 -----> MSII -----> msd 6a -----> coil

Thats y you need it. I was using the msd 6a for triggering MS because I've tried using the caravan module and tried the HEI-7 module but for HEI-7 module its been done on this car I saw a write up on the MS forum. MSD 6a is suppose to control dwell on its own I had problems with my car missing thats y. Until someone finds out how to work it which I will try one more time see if I can get everything to work right. Btw, Msd 6a will help give better sparks anyway

Jeff

#25 cashsaudio

cashsaudio

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

I posted a diagram on the first post check it out

#26 Evil_Betty

Evil_Betty

That MPI guy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:40 AM

cashsaudio, can you explain what you mean by "locked down stock dist."

I have heard this from you & a few others, I believe, and am curious what you did.  I am very slowly working on MPI and trying to learn as much as possible first.  Thanks,

-Justin
'89 Conquest TSi __ '07 Subaru WRX

#27 cashsaudio

cashsaudio

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Evil_Betty)
cashsaudio, can you explain what you mean by "locked down stock dist."

I have heard this from you & a few others, I believe, and am curious what you did.  I am very slowly working on MPI and trying to learn as much as possible first.  Thanks,

-Justin

reason y we call it a locked down. because you have two mech. device for advance timing and retard timing. One is vac advance which must be removed and the other is the Fly weights. Here's a link of how FIP's does their but I use the stock module not the caravan. I had too much problem with the caravan module to deal with and must be done with the MSD PN 8509 or it will not work with MS. heres the link http://www.angelfire.com/mech/edwardcase00/Dist_mod/

button has a link but cant remember where it is but its the same thing but the caravan module must not be used.

#28 CaliConquestAlex

CaliConquestAlex

The Wrench

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts
  • Interests:BOOOST!

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:59 AM

Is the stock ignitor removed with this setup? If you connect the white wire on the msd 6a to the negative coil wires to hook up the msd like the diagram for the msd says, did u run another wire to the megasquirt and solder it into the white?
2004 Infiniti FX35 Beryllium, Fully Loaded

2004 Lexus IS300 - Soon to be NA-T

1988 Conquest TSI - SOLD/Parted out
Magna Intake, MEGASQUIRT 2 (V3 Extra fw) Direct Coil Control - EDIS 4, 292m cam, Synapse Synchronic 40mm WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, T3 TD06 20G turbo w/ .80 housing, 95 lb injectors, Treastone turbo manifold, ST springs, KYB GR2 shocks, MK1 front camber plates, Drilled/slotted rotors and braided brake lines, HD valve springs, SR20DET 3-row Radiator. MK1 Short Shifter, Da Funk Loc motor mount, Transmission Tuff-pan, Stedebani poly trans mount, Cusco front strut brace, TEP rear strut brace w/ battery tray, AEM UEGO wideband sensor.

Click the pictures for larger images:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#29 cashsaudio

cashsaudio

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (CaliConquestAlex)
Is the stock ignitor removed with this setup? If you connect the white wire on the msd 6a to the negative coil wires to hook up the msd like the diagram for the msd says, did u run another wire to the megasquirt and solder it into the white?

Yes stock ignitor is useless if you are controlling timing on MSII. I'm not sure what you quite asking about on the last part. Please discribe abit better.

#30 CaliConquestAlex

CaliConquestAlex

The Wrench

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:02 AM

What did you do with the stock wires that were on the coil? Are you using the stock tach? I guess it is useless until the ccar is running though.

Magna Intake, MEGASQUIRT 2 (V3 Extra fw) Direct Coil Control - EDIS 4, 292m cam, Synapse Synchronic 40mm WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, T3 TD06 20G turbo w/ .80 housing, 95 lb injectors, Treastone turbo manifold, ST springs, KYB GR2 shocks, MK1 front camber plates, Drilled/slotted rotors and braided brake lines, HD valve springs, SR20DET 3-row Radiator. MK1 Short Shifter, Da Funk Loc motor mount, Transmission Tuff-pan, Stedebani poly trans mount, Cusco front strut brace, TEP rear strut brace w/ battery tray, AEM UEGO wideband sensor.

#31 cashsaudio

cashsaudio

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (CaliConquestAlex)
What did you do with the stock wires that were on the coil? Are you using the stock tach? I guess it is useless until the ccar is running though.

You don't use anything from the stock wiring harness but the oil sending wire, temp sending wire, and the switched power, and the fuel pump if you still using the original wire. you connect the coil with the msd wires just like I posted the diagram. btw, you have to change the settings on this http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/msd6a.htm

#32 CaliConquestAlex

CaliConquestAlex

The Wrench

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:36 PM

I got the stock tach working today. I connected the small white wire and small red wire from the msd 6a to the 8910 tach adapter. The Stock coil wires (black and white) and blue go to the red terminal on the tach adapter. The (blue and white) and black wires go to the white wire on the tch adapter. I haven't had any problems with the 8910 tach adapter eventhough I don't have the ignitor installed. In short, the positive coil wires go to the red side and the negative go to th white. I am still having issues tuning it and it is a bit tricky to start. Also my throttle is very sensitive, if I push the gas too fast it chokes. It won't go above around 2500 rpm. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: This thing sounds like an airplane!!!! I LOVE IT!!! The turbo starts to spool before 2000 rpm.

#33 cashsaudio

cashsaudio

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (CaliConquestAlex)
I got the stock tach working today. I connected the small white wire and small red wire from the msd 6a to the 8910 tach adapter. The Stock coil wires (black and white) and blue go to the red terminal on the tach adapter. The (blue and white) and black wires go to the white wire on the tch adapter. I haven't had any problems with the 8910 tach adapter eventhough I don't have the ignitor installed. In short, the positive coil wires go to the red side and the negative go to th white. I am still having issues tuning it and it is a bit tricky to start. Also my throttle is very sensitive, if I push the gas too fast it chokes. It won't go above around 2500 rpm. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: This thing sounds like an airplane!!!! I LOVE IT!!! The turbo starts to spool before 2000 rpm.

Im glad you got it to work. I was going to get the labtop outta my car and forgot that I left it down by milwaukee dang it. Next weekend is when I'm down there again. What are your accel enrichment set at? send me a file if you can and I can get it to about where I have it. Also the main thing is where is the TPSdot set at. This usually happens when its set too low. Send me a file to ps2_69@yahoo.com. I can get it to where about I have it.

#34 CaliConquestAlex

CaliConquestAlex

The Wrench

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:00 PM

I think I also have an issue because I didn't use shielded wire for the tach signal or for the ignition out. Is this an issue? I can pick up some shielded wire, and redo it, but if it isn't necessary then I'd rather not. My tach signal seems to very stable up to about 2500 rpms which is as high as I've taken the engine because then it starts popping and choking.  The stock tach matches the megasquirt very close. My timing light broke so I still haven't set the base timing correctly but it does run so I know I'm close.

#35 cashsaudio

cashsaudio

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (CaliConquestAlex)
I think I also have an issue because I didn't use shielded wire for the tach signal or for the ignition out. Is this an issue? I can pick up some shielded wire, and redo it, but if it isn't necessary then I'd rather not. My tach signal seems to very stable up to about 2500 rpms which is as high as I've taken the engine because then it starts popping and choking.  The stock tach matches the megasquirt very close. My timing light broke so I still haven't set the base timing correctly but it does run so I know I'm close.

Alright before you do ANYTHING!!! get a timing light. just having the timing off just a lil will make a difference. I don't wanna see another member blow a head gasket or the whole thing. Please do yourself a favor and get that base timing fix first. And I never had any problems with the sheild wire. But wouldn't hurt to have one on

#36 Anonsix

Anonsix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (CaliConquestAlex)

I had an mx6 not to long ago. My timing was off after changing a head gasket and it had the same choking problem. I rev the engine at half or 3 quarter throttle but the moment i hit full it choked and the RPMs would drop. After tmiing it the issue was no more.

#37 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:06 PM

I'm looking to do COP setup with Megasquirt

I'm not sure if I should do the MSNS-Extra or wait for the MS2-Extra

anyone have any suggestions as to which I'd be better with?

thanks!

#38 Indiana

Indiana

Addicted Starquester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,743 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

Go with MSII and use a magna dist that way you have your sensors for later that you need and you can just run a single coil for now, I bet it won't be long you'll have to run that setup

http://www.b2600turbo.com/k110506.mpg

works just fine

#39 cashsaudio

cashsaudio

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (Indiana)
Go with MSII and use a magna dist that way you have your sensors for later that you need and you can just run a single coil for now, I bet it won't be long you'll have to run that setup

works just fine

You can not get the magna dist. that easy. Some people do not like to wait. If this wiring diagram I posted in the first post doesn't help then you shouldn't be putting this system together. This is the far most easiest setup I've done.

#40 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (cashsaudio)
QUOTE (Indiana)

works just fine

You can not get the magna dist. that easy. Some people do not like to wait. If this wiring diagram I posted in the first post doesn't help then you shouldn't be putting this system together. This is the far most easiest setup I've done.

was easily acquired from www.ebay.com.au

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users