After lunch I started working on getting the rest of the bottom end back together - particularly the timing components.
I installed new gaskets in the oil filter housing.
And reinstalled the housing.
Next it was time to tackle the timing chain side of the block.
I started just by scrapping off all the old gasket material and cleaning it up with brake clean. Then I reinstalled the timing chain guides.
Now it's time to set the timing. I turned the crank so that cyl#1 was at TDC.
When you do that, the crank should end up with the woodruff keys at about the 3 o'clock position. You can see the timing mark on the sprocket just below the woodruff.
Next I wrapped the timing chain around the cam gear making sure to line the indicated link with the timing mark. I highlighted mine with paint marker so it would be even easier to spot.
Then I did the same thing at the bottom.
It can be a little bit tricky dealing with the tensioner when your trying to slide the chain on, so a little trick I learned from working on these motors before is to use a small block of wood with a lip on it to hold the spring loaded tensioner back.
The whole thing will just slide right on then and you can pull the block of wood. The G54B has got to be one of the easiest motors to time.
My balance shafts are eliminated, so there's no need to time the secondary chain. The oil pump is simply driven by the rotation of the crank.
One word of caution, there is a woodruff on the oil pump. It pops out pretty easily if the gear isn't lined up perfect when your sliding it on. Make sure 100% it's in place and you don't lose it. Otherwise the gear will just spin on the shaft of the oil pump and you'll have no oil pressure. It's in the notch in the picture below.
Just have to install the chain guide and the bolt on the oil pump gear (which gets torqued to 50 ft-lbs).
With the timing out of the way it was time to put the front case back on. Just needed to clean up the old gasket material a bit.
I lightly torqued the front case down, and then called it quits for today.
Tomorrow I think we'll get the head installed.