3sge beams swap?

jason c

just woundering if anyone has thought of or done this swap , u can get them with a 6speed , there a pretty sweet engine that yamaha developed for toyota , i have a 74 celica gt and i know alot of guys that have done the swap in celicas , engine is really lite also , everyone talks about sr 20's ect which yes are very nice engines but these beams motors had better hp per liter

Never heard of them til today. Odd. Nothing wrong with the G54 boat anchor, well, cept for the 8 valve thing and 2 injectors and constant headgasket problems....gee, what did you say Yota engine is called? :lol:

haha yea i seen that after the fact yota lol but back to someone that knows what they are talking about , with positive info thanks , maybe do a little research on the engine ;)

that beams toyota motor doesnt have enough "chug" to push the starion . You need to step up the game and pick a motor that has more potency if you want to improve. the amount of money you would drop on fabbing everything up to fit and building the beams motor, you could buy a bolt in 2jz set-up that has 100 times more potential than the beams motor. Plain and simple, you have a heavy car and you need more than a 2.0 4cyl n/a.

Side note, I think everyone will agree that people are really not that interested in that beams motor compared to the 2jz - its just an inferior engine

WOW! i first dont even know where to begin , first to boho im not sure if i made a statement to lock this up , i know u have a toyota in your starion and im not a huge toyota fan but i do luv the 1j/2j's there sweet motors i have 2 in the garage right now waiting for new projects, and id never thought id own a toyaota tell i found an old school celica gt , and i love the g54b thats what i built and wanted for my first quest , i like seeing all these swaps and the great info and threads for them , but around where i am hardly anybody knows anything about these cars and its nice to show them with the right parts these cars can hang with many, anything u put a 2jz in u know its going to be fast,and im not sure how this turned into a beams 2jz debate i wasent comparing the 2 i know there more common but all i was doing is thinking outside the box , something that people may not heard of something diffrent and to nonstock88 wow its comments like yours is why i know some get irritated in these threads to so quicky put down something, but if u like to distinguish which is the eferior motor we can to start of yes beams is n/a and it was rated 209hp in the altezza with a 6speed n/a 2jz is 220hp so 11 more horse for 2 more cylinders very impressive , the twin turbo version 321hp weighing in anywhere from 450 to 594lbs depending on whats equiped beams weighing in at 315lbs do the math thats not such an advantage, and in japan( in the gt series racing) they put the beams motor in the supra over the 2jz for this pupose and because the beams makes more horsepower per ci and the weight advantage , so if a 2.0ltr or 2.2ltr beams can chug a supra on the race track i dont think a starion be no prob , u can turbo charge the motor just as any other motor , the cost effectiveness isnt that much, because most people that even start out with a turbo motor end up replacing all the factory components with better stuff anyways, and the 3sgte turbo motor is based off the 3sge so sure its inferior ;) sure u can make 7/800+ horse out of a 2jz but how many can use that power so a 4/500+ beams motor that makes your car lighter and handle better doesnt seem like a bad idea and i can set the car up to put that kind of power down , and i can get ahold of a beams motor with 6speed for about the same price as a 2jz motor without trans , and im not bashing 2jz it has huge potent i luv the motor but just dont bash another :blink:

Don't listen to the 2jz fan boys man, do what you think would be cool and let them have their "superior" engines lol

Allen

.......................................... Thats not even what happened..................Just delete this thread....................

Altezzas have both jz and beams 3s engines, the 4 cylinder being the high performance model.

The problem with the beams engine is its power is all at the top end of the rev range, with normal everyday driving its nothing special (like a manual Camry 4cyl) but sprited driving results in quite a fun car (for a Toyota) I defintely prefer them over the 2jzfe or 2jzfse in most Altezzas.

However I've driven a couple with turbo kits, one made Toms, one HKS and one I think was GReddy. This completely transforms the car for the good, although finding such a kit may be more difficult nowdays.

Also when converted to quad throttles (n/a) they sounds awesome.

I wish they bought them out with my favourite jz engine, the single turbo vvti 1jzgte.

the beams is and interesting motor, but I'd imagine it would be a lot of work to turbo it as I believe it has high compression. I think 4WStarion had it right, its a very high revving motor that makes most of its power in the high rpm's. I had a 1g mr2 a while ago that I swapped with a 4age 20 valve that was a similar story, really quick when you revved it out but otherwise just not enough torque. ITB's were definitely awesome to have though, I'd love to see a beams motor but in stock form I don't think it would be enough for an sq for my taste. It would be a fun one to try though as its so different from the g54b, g54= low revving torque, beams= high revving hp.

the beams is and interesting motor, but I'd imagine it would be a lot of work to turbo it as I believe it has high compression. I think 4WStarion had it right, its a very high revving motor that makes most of its power in the high rpm's. I had a 1g mr2 a while ago that I swapped with a 4age 20 valve that was a similar story, really quick when you revved it out but otherwise just not enough torque. ITB's were definitely awesome to have though, I'd love to see a beams motor but in stock form I don't think it would be enough for an sq for my taste. It would be a fun one to try though as its so different from the g54b, g54= low revving torque, beams= high revving hp.

I have a buddy with an 86 gts corolla with a 20 valve swap with ITBs. Definatly a high reving motor on a light car. In the turns I couldn't keep up in my stockish SQ. But on the straights I could walk away from him. An 86 corolla is at least 500 lbs lighter than a SQ.

ahh i dont have one thing against any of the 2j guys its a a sweet motor , and cool swap just some make comments with having no knowledge to do so , so thank you for the rest of u , and i agree yes it makes its power up high and yes it does have high compression but it dont take much to fix that issue , and it may not be the perfect motor for a quest , this may be a motor better suited for my celica , its just something i wanted to throw out there as a sweet option, since many dont know much about it :) one of my 2js may end up in the quest soon we will see

I have a buddy with an 86 gts corolla with a 20 valve swap with ITBs. Definatly a high reving motor on a light car. In the turns I couldn't keep up in my stockish SQ. But on the straights I could walk away from him. An 86 corolla is at least 500 lbs lighter than a SQ.

yep, It was awesome in the mr2 which was about 1k lighter than the quest, nothing could touch it in the twisties. Made for a great auto-x car but with the swap it put the car into a very tough class. I sold that car to buy the 1jz quest, luckily a friend bought it so I still get to get my hands on it regularly, it really is an awesome little car.

ahh i dont have one thing against any of the 2j guys its a a sweet motor , and cool swap just some make comments with having no knowledge to do so , so thank you for the rest of u , and i agree yes it makes its power up high and yes it does have high compression but it dont take much to fix that issue , and it may not be the perfect motor for a quest , this may be a motor better suited for my celica , its just something i wanted to throw out there as a sweet option, since many dont know much about it :) one of my 2js may end up in the quest soon we will see

Yeah, I think having the 1j sometimes reflects poorly on me but I still love it, and I actually have other quests, one of which getting a built g54. I really don't know too much about the beams except it has similarities with the 20 valve which I know a lot about. I know the 20valve has very light/weak rods to keep the rotating mass down to rev higher so hopefully the beams didn't do the same as I know they are also a high revving motor. For boost you would likely replace the pistons anyway though so may as well beef up the rods at the same time. in the 20 valves you can put in the stronger rods from the supercharged motors as all 4age's could share rods, I would assume all of the 3s's would be the same. I always wanted to turbo my 20v but never put the money together to do it, but it would have been an amazing engine with the turbo. If you put lower comp pistons, stronger rods and a turbo on the beams it would be awesome for the quest, definitely unique!

I don't know if I would put one in the quest, but I def would put one in my 82 Corolla Liftback! Maybe my Colt instead of the Ol' School 13b! Seems like a fun motor for a nice light body. ;) Oh yeah, I still LOVE your freakin car Jeff!

I don't know if I would put one in the quest, but I def would put one in my 82 Corolla Liftback! Maybe my Colt instead of the Ol' School 13b! Seems like a fun motor for a nice light body. ;) Oh yeah, I still LOVE your freakin car Jeff!

yep, it would definitely wake up a corolla! thanks, I'm still lovin the new quest even though it still needs much work, hope yours is working out for you!

thanks! Its amazing to me how much a turbo can do, a friend of mine just bought an is300 (na 2jz), he let me take it out for a spin and I was disappointed in the lack of power, I had never driven a na 2jz before! Definitely needs moar turbo!