• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#741 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:41 AM

No update yet.  I ordered some 1 1/8" silicone hose and 90 elbows so I can make a much better return tube for the BOV.  So, I'm waiting on that to arrive.  I want change vacuum source for the BOV as well and see what difference that might make.  I'm hoping everything arrives quickly b/c I have an appointment to get the car aligned for the first time ever on Black Friday.

Edited by techboy, 20 November 2020 - 10:52 AM.

1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#742 Evoz17

Evoz17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:Mitsubishi's, soccer, life

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:08 PM

Techboy, I had similar issues on running rich at idle in both my dsm and starquest. Dsm had a 1g bov and the starion a oem evo 8 plastic bov. After multiple boost leak test and not finding a leak but i could still hear a slight hiss, turned out to be coming from the bov. So i went out and bought another 1g bov and crushed it, well same thing still leaked with the boost leak test. Now i have a new NGR on the dsm and a used og blitz on the starion and no boost leaks at idle anymore on either one. My dsm is recirculated but not on my 86 starion. But now both idle at 14.6 to 15.4 on their widebands.

#743 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:02 PM

What type of flange does the NGR BOV have on it? I literally just had my pipe modified to accept the 1G BOV, so I'd like to stick with something that has that style flange if I am going to consider a different BOV. I hate to spend the same money twice. I run an old school Greddy Type S from the late 90s on my DSM, bought it new and never had a problem with it.

Thanks for the input. Good info.

Posted Image

#744 Evoz17

Evoz17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:Mitsubishi's, soccer, life

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:13 PM

The NGR is a replica of the greddy type s. So it wont fit the 1g flange. You could cut the flange off and use a silicone coupler to use the slipon adapter they make for the 2g's. there's a pic of my set up on my restore thread.

Edited by Evoz17, 21 November 2020 - 02:17 PM.

#745 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:13 PM

It took a while for those 90 degree elbows to come in that I mentioned above. It seems everything is shipping slow these days.  Anyway, I got them about 2 weeks and setup a much better return BOV line.  The bad is I never got to drive the car after I put it all back together - got busy with work - and now we got 10 inches of snow here in PA and the roads are all covered in salt.  Might have to wait until spring to see if it really made a difference.

Anyway, here's what I did;

The OEM tube has an opening in the bottom side on 88/89s, but if you look inside you'll see the diameter steps down.  I want the return line to flow uninhibited.

Posted Image

A 7/8 inch spade bit fits in there perfectly.

Posted Image

Drilled it out.

Posted Image

If you do this, make sure you blow some air through the intake tube and get all the little rubber bits out so you're not sucking them into the throttle body.  Much bigger opening now.

Posted Image

Here's the temporary hose I made for testing purposes again.  Above are the two 90 degree hoses I ordered.  They are 1 1/8 in dia.  I also cut a small piece of 1" aluminum rod and polished it.

Posted Image

Cut the hoses down a bit to replicate the temporary one as best I could.

Posted Image

Here it is attached to the OEM hose.

Posted Image

Little hard to see ... but here it is installed on the car.

Posted Image

From a pulled-out perspective, you can barely tell it's there.  

Posted Image

I'm not totally happy about reverting back to the OEM accordion tube, but this will work for now until I can fab something up from aluminum or find a different solution.

Posted Image

#746 Jonathan

Jonathan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:47 AM

Looks great. I will be doing this for sure. Hate losing metered air and boost pressure.

I am sure you will us now how it works for you :)
Jonathan

#747 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 19 December 2020 - 03:47 PM

Very nice! I always had that same idea when I still had the factory air intake boot, well done.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller

JohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#748 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:56 PM

Ever since getting the car back together I've been keeping very close eye on an spots left under the car ... like all of us do.  I've been getting a quater to fifty-cent piece size drip under the oil pan since reassembly.  I figured before I put the car down for the winter I'd change the oil and swap out the oil pan plug gasket.

This is a replacement oil drain plug I bought years ago.  The gasket on my OEM one was pretty mangled, so I had bought this one.  It has a hard rubber (??) type gasket on it, but it apparently leaks.  I'm not sure why, it seems like it shouldn't.  My pan is powdercoated, so I don't know if it has something with that an not sealing correctly.

Posted Image

So, I bought these OEM gaskets from ExtremePSI.

Posted Image

We'll try this instead and see what happens.  These are more of a "crush" style.

Posted Image

Good news is I got about 200 miles on the car this fall and oil looks pretty good since doing all the bearings.  I don't see any silvery tint that would suggest bearing wear, and, honestly, I expected there to be some since they are new.  I was surprised at how black the oil was though for only 200 miles.  Oh well, it'll have fresh oil ready to go for next season.

Posted Image

Edited by techboy, 14 January 2021 - 09:38 AM.

Posted Image

#749 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, and Brewing Belgian Ale.

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:23 PM

Non silvery stuff in your oil is a good thing! Not like in your paint.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 BMW 740iL - My Daily
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1  To tow the two hay burners
2010 Charger R/T  daily driver

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#750 TheDemon

TheDemon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Wrenching, Gaming, cars

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:30 PM

Chris, loving all the effort and work you put into this thing, i still lurk the site from time to time and always make sure i catch up on your build thread. i think a 4g63 would be a mighty fine upgrade for this thing and would be much more enjoyable for you, just remember its a headache and a half of a swap.... that's why everyone just dumps a jz or a v8 in with standalone systems.
- The Demon
89 Black Conquest TSI SHP 5-speed - Restoration
00 ford ranger trailhead
97 Red Talon ESi - RIP

#751 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:36 AM

View PostTheDemon, on 13 January 2021 - 03:30 PM, said:

Chris, loving all the effort and work you put into this thing, i still lurk the site from time to time and always make sure i catch up on your build thread. i think a 4g63 would be a mighty fine upgrade for this thing and would be much more enjoyable for you, just remember its a headache and a half of a swap.... that's why everyone just dumps a jz or a v8 in with standalone systems.

Thanks Demon.  I'm trying to keep this thing alive and over here on the East Coast!!  If I ever do swap it to a 4G63, at this point in time it won't be until a few years from now.  My son and I actually bought a VR-4 off of StarquestJoe a few months back so we've been thrashing on that.  He's only 10 as I type this, but I'm thinking it's going to take several years to get this car fully restored.  We're knee deep into rebuilding the 4G 6-bolt for that car now, but, I'm definitely considered pulling the 6-bolt I have out of storage and just building a 2nd right along side his and just do 2 at once.  I'm discovering very fast that 1st gen 6-bolt engines are a lot like Starquests, parts are hard to find and many things are NLA.  We're making steady progress though.

I think the next thing that's going to happen to the Starion ... something I've been talking about for years now ... is getting the interior reupholstered.  I can't stand the dried-out cracked leather anymore.

Edited by techboy, 14 January 2021 - 09:37 AM.

Posted Image

#752 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:33 AM

View Posttechboy, on 14 January 2021 - 09:36 AM, said:

Thanks Demon.  I'm trying to keep this thing alive and over here on the East Coast!!  If I ever do swap it to a 4G63, at this point in time it won't be until a few years from now.  My son and I actually bought a VR-4 off of StarquestJoe a few months back so we've been thrashing on that.  He's only 10 as I type this, but I'm thinking it's going to take several years to get this car fully restored.  We're knee deep into rebuilding the 4G 6-bolt for that car now, but, I'm definitely considered pulling the 6-bolt I have out of storage and just building a 2nd right along side his and just do 2 at once.  I'm discovering very fast that 1st gen 6-bolt engines are a lot like Starquests, parts are hard to find and many things are NLA.  We're making steady progress though.

I think the next thing that's going to happen to the Starion ... something I've been talking about for years now ... is getting the interior reupholstered.  I can't stand the dried-out cracked leather anymore.

If you are getting seats re-done, I would find a CHEAP/FREE set of torn seats and re-do those.   I'm not going back through 38 pages to look at your seat pictures, but they aren't that bad from what I remember?   I guess what I'm saying is...your seats are NOT bad enough to strip the fabric off...Sell them because they are still nicer than 99% of the remaining tan leather seats available.....

Edited by Preludedude, 14 January 2021 - 11:00 AM.

#753 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:37 AM

View PostPreludedude, on 14 January 2021 - 10:33 AM, said:

If you are getting seats re-done, I would find a CHEAP/FREE set of torn seats and re-do those.   I'm not going back through 38 pages to look at your seat pictures, but they aren't that bad from what I remember?   I guess what I'm saying is...your seats are NOT bad enough to strip the fabric off...Sell them because they are still nicer than 99% of the remaining tan leather seats available.....

I actually hadn't thought of that.  That's a great idea.  I'd even be open to trading someone for my seats for a set of less quality provided there is someone nearby relatively speaking that has tan leather (or cloth) that would want to trade.  That's gonna be the issue ... tan was rare to begin with.

Posted Image

#754 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:01 AM

View Posttechboy, on 15 January 2021 - 10:37 AM, said:

I actually hadn't thought of that.  That's a great idea.  I'd even be open to trading someone for my seats for a set of less quality provided there is someone nearby relatively speaking that has tan leather (or cloth) that would want to trade.  That's gonna be the issue ... tan was rare to begin with.

I would simply put them up for sale.....And find an abused set of seats.....

If you want to make the drive to SC, Ill give you maroon seats out of my Durban 88....

#755 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

You can have my tan seats for free.  One seat does not have the rails.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users