Bad rings?

TSI88Conquest

Ok im a noob with these still. Now the thing doesnt smoke at first but when its beginning to warm up it smokes like a mother, and when you rev it it smoke alot more, but then after 10 mins it stops and doesnt smoke at all but when it sits for a few and you fire it up it smoke, think its the rings or the turbo? It still has good power but i dont want it to look like the car isnt being taken care of, plus it sat for 6 years.

Ok im a noob with these still. Now the thing doesnt smoke at first but when its beginning to warm up it smokes like a mother, and when you rev it it smoke alot more, but then after 10 mins it stops and doesnt smoke at all but when it sits for a few and you fire it up it smoke, think its the rings or the turbo? It still has good power but i dont want it to look like the car isnt being taken care of, plus it sat for 6 years.

Rings will not quit smoking after 10 mins. I'm thinking valve stem seals, valve guides, or turbo.

Rings will not quit smoking after 10 mins. I'm thinking valve stem seals, valve guides, or turbo.

I agree. :thumbsup:

After I took a set of leak down compression readings and checked the turbo for excessive shaft play, depending on the results I would change the valve seals.

How many miles on the engine?

For What It's Worth.

KEN

I took the piping off the compressor, and the compressor housing was black inside, and the boost tubes were covered in oil as well, but its not like dripping off, its caked on there and there is a little shaft play. Also, i let it run for 30 mins and it never stopped smoking so like you guys said its probably the seals are gone.

It has a clogged up PCV valve or one that is a junk one from an auto parts store. The oil separator may be clogged up. The accordian hose from the air filter can to the compressor housing may be cracked and the oil separator hose missing. If that car has sat a long time rings can stick. Is the smoke blue, black or white? What does the smoke smell like, coolant, fuel or oil?

I'd say your case is oil smoke. Usually that is more blueish, but a lot of it can appear white. As long as the coolant level stays the same over time, then it shouldn't be that. Still, you should do the compression test like vbrad511 says. That will tell you if the rings are shot.

It sounds to me like the turbo seal is gone, but there may be more than one issue and it could also be the rings in conjunction with the turbo seal. The intercooler piping should be fairly clean/no oil. Oil there means it is getting past the turbo seal. That eventually gets worse to smoke bad even at idle. Bad rings will barely smoke on warm idle, but should see a puff on shifts.

I'm going to agree with valve stem seals. When the car sits for a few days, oil make its way down the worn seals onto the valves and top of pistons. When you start the car, the oil burns off, after 10-15 minutes of the motor running the valve stem & seals expand with heat to seal a little better.

white smoke is coolant, put a rag over the exhaust pipe and let it get saturated then pull it off and let it cool down then smell it, does it have a sweet odor? That's coolant.

Oil smoke is blue, fuel is black.

Its more likely you have two common issues, a cracked head or blown head gasket. and a pcv/oil separator system that isn't working properly because of a non oem pcv valve that is causing oil to be pushed into the compressor housing through the oil separator. It could be a coolant leak from the intake manifold or throttlebody also. A blown head gasket will cause comppression numbers to be off, a cracked head will just let coolant flow into the cylinders when the motor is running until they open up to the point they leak all the time. Inspect the spark plugs and see if they all look the same or one or two appear washed.

I got a better look at the smoke and its not white, it is definately blueish, the plugs are all normal, and it doesnt look like its losing any coolant and i put the rag by the exhaust and it doesnt have a sweet smell, its more like oil.

So, it still could be several things:

oil getting passed the rings.

It could still be too much crankcase pressure as Indy described too. I've never heard of having enough crankcase pressure to push oil through the separator can and into the compressor housing, but it makes sense. I would think you would see the dipstick push up in that case too, unless the tube is crimped on the stick.

That's cool. I sold my baby, but now I've got a project, that's a little ways from completion. I currently don't have a TSi drivable. Let me know when you wanna meet up, maybe I can help you figure out whats going on with it.

Yea definately, everything is on hold until i can get a steady job and start bringin in some money for this thing and my race car, plus since i started driving my insurance is going to be over $2k for this thing for the year so i might hold of on putting this on the road this year and just put my caravan on the road.