Oil Filter will not come off

natedog_37

I have never had this issue till this year.

I can't get the oil filter off.

With the oil wrench, Vicegrips, Screw driver, did some PB blast on it, Heated it up, About everything but takeing the hole unit off which I am think of next.

any ideas.

I have never had this issue, and oiled the gasket before I put it on.

My guess is it either was installed way too tight, or it is crossthreaded, or both.

You have to remove the filter before you can remove the adapter. About all I can think of is to take a large pair of channel locks and get the filter to turn. Try this first thing in the morning when it is very cool. If the base remains on, dremel it off.

My guess is it either was installed way too tight, or it is crossthreaded, or both.

You have to remove the filter before you can remove the adapter. About all I can think of is to take a large pair of channel locks and get the filter to turn. Try this first thing in the morning when it is very cool. If the base remains on, dremel it off.

I put it on but didn't think I put it on this tight.

I though the filter had to be removed first. If I can get it friday morning I am getting the dremel out.

Tried that but I just keeped making the hole bigger. My uncle is coming over Friday to see if he can get it off, if not I will cut it off.

Just pisses me off I can't get it off. It has been on the car a year since I store it in the winter.

Hey, are you on toledotuners? If so, im Corey on there, with the white conquest.

Yup same screen name.

Eddie I know I have crushed some but nothing like this. it is like it is welded on. I have all day friday to work on it. I got the oil pressure sending unit off with no issues and I though that was the think that was going to suck.

Hammer and chisel at the base where its not going to crush. It should bite and let it turn before you mash it and put a hole in it and have oil running on the ground, not that it won't anyway since someone should have put a 90 degree adapter on the motor in the first place.

Be very careful if you go attacking that with a dremel... you can very easily cut into the flat mounting surface... and then you'll be replacing it because you can't get it to stop leaking.

The hammer/chisel method is a lot easier, although if you get stupid with it, you can still gouge the metal.

Toyota makes some filter loosener things that are perfect for this. I work for Jiffy lube, and we call them toyota cups i don't know the actual name for them. http://i16.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/7e/f2/81_1_b.JPG

Looks like that... clamps on to the filter and then when you loosen the ratchet it grips it and the filter spins right off. Might want to check if any auto parts stores have them...

Edited by BOOSTED88tsi

Toyota makes some filter loosener things that are perfect for this. I work for Jiffy lube, and we call them toyota cups i don't know the actual name for them. http://i16.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/7e/f2/81_1_b.JPG

Looks like that... clamps on to the filter and then when you loosen the ratchet it grips it and the filter spins right off. Might want to check if any auto parts stores have them...

I used 2 of those on my mom's CRV the first time I changed her oil. They had the thing cranked on so tight it bent the arms on both of them. I tried a few other style filter wrenches too. I ended up driving a screwdriver through the filter and turning it that way.

that is why you always put a film of grease on the rubber gasket before you install the new filter, its not the filters fault

let me know when yo need a hand ,Nate .;o) be glad to help

I always do that also. Next time I will hit you up for some help.

I always do that also. Next time I will hit you up for some help.

All you got to do is wipe some of the old oil around the gasket that makes it slip at the adapter not roll up and leak. After all those miles driven it will not remain all oily otherwise it would leak. Its easy to overtighten a filter it just seems natural to do so but usually about half turn after it gets firm to twist is more than enough. Some just keep on tightening them like its a head bolt or something.