17" wheels OEM look

on4now4

heat issues? what types of pads r u using at a track day?

i dont really know they were on the car when i got it. but chances are that my prob i just thought it was a cool idea.

Edited by on4now4

I appreciate your idea for the cooling, but you must know that they would only work on one side of the car. Each wheels would have to always be in the same location. I totally agree with Patra, if you can have two machined faces made, you can bolt up any lip/width you want. Much more cost effective. And if your really going to go through with it, you should slim down the center peice. I can't stand how it sticks out, as its really there for no reason. There is plenty of room for the wheel bearing hub.

I appreciate your idea for the cooling, but you must know that they would only work on one side of the car. Each wheels would have to always be in the same location. I totally agree with Patra, if you can have two machined faces made, you can bolt up any lip/width you want. Much more cost effective. And if your really going to go through with it, you should slim down the center peice. I can't stand how it sticks out, as its really there for no reason. There is plenty of room for the wheel bearing hub.

here's an idea of how that might look. i like it better the other way

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/on4now4/rimnovent.jpg

I would say weight is way more of an issue then cooling. I think alot of the people that can afford to spring for custom wheels would also want a forged wheel. Personaly I would want a forged wheel at or less then stock weight. If we have drawings ready to go I can ask someoen I know at Alcoa. There wheel arease are idle for 3/4 of the year and the smallest run they do is 20 wheels. Don't konw what the price would be for tooling but I could ask. Edited by jszucs

I am currently about 3 weeks away from offering a GP on 17" original look wheels. They are a 3 piece wheel with the original centre pattern made from 356.0 T6 aluminium. The shells come in 1/2" increments for inners and outers. I have a set of centres and shells made which are just awaiting final machining and surface finishing. Once this is done I will post photos of both the wheels and them fitted to my car and provide costs. Intention is to offer a price for less than 10 sets and a price for more than 10 sets. The manufacturing progress will be documented via postings with pictures. Once the go button is pushed (ie orders for more than 10 sets as I really don't want to do less than this) it takes about 4-6 weeks for them to make their way thru the process.

I look forward to hearing more about your design, Gavin.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.p...=54829&st=0

I am currently about 3 weeks away from offering a GP on 17" original look wheels. They are a 3 piece wheel with the original centre pattern made from 356.0 T6 aluminium. The shells come in 1/2" increments for inners and outers. I have a set of centres and shells made which are just awaiting final machining and surface finishing. Once this is done I will post photos of both the wheels and them fitted to my car and provide costs. Intention is to offer a price for less than 10 sets and a price for more than 10 sets. The manufacturing progress will be documented via postings with pictures. Once the go button is pushed (ie orders for more than 10 sets as I really don't want to do less than this) it takes about 4-6 weeks for them to make their way thru the process.

out of your mind

I'll be tucking tire, possibly rim at all four corners once I get my suspension done, so I need the offsets to place the rim just to the inside of the fender (after rolling the fenders), not to the outside.

But I do anxiously await those pics though

out of your mind

Why is Deric out of his mind? I think he's spot on. Don't forget even if your flush the wheel still needs somewhere to travel to. So even if your not tucking but your close you need somewhere for that wheel to move to.

The camber also changes how close to the fender the top of the wheel will be with a given off-set. Also I doubt everyone is going to use the same size 17" tire since there are so many more options. So all these things along with ride hieght change "the perfect fit". The safe bet will be to stay a 1/4" to 1/2" (or so) out from the stock off-sets. If people need more, they can use spacers, or perhaps pay extra for different rim shells if they are going to be three piece.

Still if they are around $450 each I really think its gonna close to impossible to sell 10 sets upfront.

• 2 weeks later...

CNC the centers and the buyer can select the hoop size/offset for final welding.

I prefer the SHP widths and offsets in a 17 inch diameter as this will look stealth and allow

for a better tire selection. I will purchase a set if you do them...

Ever hear of Intro wheels guys; that's what they do.

you need to shoot for at least 50 sets i think that many questers would be willin to pay at that point.

i think it will be hard to get 50 people to sign up for a set but we shall see

and chances are it will be a three piece so that you can pick your width and offset

i would like to start a list of interest just to get an idea how many people would be interested if the price were somewhere from 200-300 a wheel in whatever offset and depth you want 17" diameter. i am still working on it but i would like to know there will be interest besides 3 or 4 people

Will they be able to undercut the weight of anything I can buy now? If they can you got my intrest, if not ill be going with the lighter option. For refrence you need to come in lighter then 16#'s for the 17X8 front and 18#'s for the 17X10 back. Edited by jszucs

Will they be able to undercut the weight of anything I can buy now? If they can you got my intrest, if not ill be going with the lighter option. For refrence you need to come in lighter then 16#'s for the 17X8 front and 18#'s for the 17X10 back.

i do not know what they will weigh yet. so i can not tell you