has it been done yet

mdbgracing

:driving: so i know it has been talked about but havent seen anywhere posted that it has been done. ok two scenarios scenario one srt4 swap scenario two 2.4 liter block mated to a 2.0 liter dohc head. i saw that the dakota bell housin is susposed to bolt to the srt4 motor and the supra tranny is susposed to bolt to the dakota bell housin. i see few have debated doin it and if it hasnt been done i may venture this route and make it happen. i wasnt a honda ricer i was into the neon and even turbocharged one from scratch so i am pretty familiar with the neon setup. what r your guys thoughts.

i know the neon motor like the back of my hand. lol. if i start this project i will see it through till its in and runnin right. might take a yr to get all the pieces together and do it as a winter projec. if this hasnt been done i will go the extra mile to take this to the next level and begin purchasin parts for the swap. kinda like puttin an sr20det in a 240sx.lol.

kinda like puttin an sr20det in a 240sx.lol.

Funny you mention that. I just helped my buddy to that swap. lol

I keep thinking that when i toast my engine (again) I'm going to swap a supra engine.

Good Luck!

my buddy actually has the last neon i owned the one i turbocharged and he has all my spare parts for neons i use to have im gonna try and get all the stuff i need neon parts from him then im gonna have to source a 2.4 stratus block. once i get the motor together and installed n/a and everything is runnin right i will then go to turbochargin the motor. to help the trouble shottin process go smoother.

Don't srt4 motors blow up when they get to 400hp no matter how they're built?

I find that kinda hard to believe...actually...that is true for all 4 cylinders...but anyway...

I know a guy with a 565hp srt4...he showed me the dyno sheet, and even a pic of it at the dyno to assure me...lol All this, and he daily drives it like an idiot without problems.

Don't srt4 motors blow up when they get to 400hp no matter how they're built?

On stock motors they can go over the 400hp mark with a good tune. It's the pistons and rods that hold it back. I thought about doing this swap with all the damn neon motors I have, but I have too much into the g54 to back out now. Keep us posted if you do it. Also, the liberty trans fits the neon blocks, just a fyi and I would suggest a painless wiring kit to make thing's eaiser.

im gonna go with the 2.4 block from a stratus and a 2.o neon dohc head for the motor combo. gonna try and do this on a reasonable budget to see how cost would be opposed to a mpi swap. thanks for the info on the liberty tranny. that will help out. im gonna use a stock neon computer and harness "free" from my buddy i sold all my neon stuff to when i got my quest. go figure.lol. im doin this to be able to get it up and runnin N/A in the car then when im sure everything is fine on the motor then i will turbo it. to help with any problems that may happen. im gonna work on gettin the motor and buildin by the end of summer then mock it up in the car over winter that way i should have all the motor and tranny situation all taken car of.

So your gonna try and connect the neon engine harness to the conquest harness? That will be some work, because the conquest is all 1 harness. It will def be a fun project tho.

I did away with all wires in the car and started over with a fresh painless kit onlything I dont have is flip ups oh well But I have a steering column from a s10 blazer tooo

a painless kit for what? Someday, replacing the entire wiring harness with brand new would be nice.

And, why would splicing be so hard? People do it all the time. Do you think running a supra motor, or engine from other makes is just plug and play?

splicin thats cake work for me.lol. and when u go mpi u run a standalone system does the the haltech turn the headlights prob not bein its for the motor, if it does i will have to insert my foot in my mouth. a little wirin cpl after market switches will eliminate alot of the little things like lights and what have u the fuel pump will be run by a stanalone system and if not than a 12 volt source. the stock neon computer is only bein used to get the motor up and runnin in the car to ensure there r no prob with motor before turbochargin it. i will then switch over to a programable ecu. im not concerned with the small stuff at this time like the wirin im more concerned with findin a good tranny to match with the motor and clutch flywheel issues and driveshaft length if it needs to be shortened, also gettin it all lined up in the motor bay. the wirin will be prob one of the easier steps for me. but i do appreciate the concerns and possible ideas of prob that may come up as it will better help me do this project as smooth as possible.

the starion ECU harness is completely seperate from the main harness except where it ties in for the main power feed and a few sensors. It's quite easy to remove it and still retain all the other electrical funcions of the car.

the 2.4 twin cam combo has been done here in oz, lots of cash spent makes 520rwhp. in a black track race starion.

u may speaking of the 4G64 2.4L mitsu hybrid motor.

This is the dodge american 2.4L. Totally different

Somebody did an excellent writeup on his 2.4L mitsu-into-starquest swap a few years

back. Was not expensive at all and he made it look ez.... "punisher" was it ?

Dunno if the thread survived the forum change over (like many other good ones).

• 2 months later...

just stumbled upon this thread...this is something ive been interested in for a while since i know the 2.0/2.4's like the back of my hand, i do know to build a 2.4 with all the srt goodies will run you about 1k-1500$. also the liberty tranny is garbage from what i hear.

and whoever said the srt motors blow up after 400hp has theyre info wrong. theyre a plenty of srt4's puttin down over 400hp, just gotta make sure you got a good tune

anyways, mdb, im only like 45 min away man, if you need a hand i am more than willing(once my car is is runnin or i find a beater soon) i would like to do this swap eventually, maybe to a different quest...since i only own one at the moment lol

Edited by MiniSRT4

www.projectzero.com will show you how to put in a 4G63 or 4G64, with all the nice details of maing the 2.4 a turbo, making a 2.3 stroker, or even a 2.1 de-stroker that can apparently rev to 10k.

Just curious, but did Mitsubishi have any part in the design of the SRT4 motor?

why not just get an srt 4 motor froma junkyard. i looked into this swap. the liberty trans cant hold more than 300hp and iks a solid case so you cant do much with it to build it and i have heard you can mate the dodge bell housing to it but i just don know how hard they are to wire up cause im not to great with electrical