Lets  look at cam degreeing :) maybe

Shelby

ok i have try'd to  get some intrest  rolling  for yr's  but it never   has much sucess ,

the last  such  post  >http://www.starquestclub.com/index.pl?board=bullcrap;action=display;num=1099943539  > seem'd to start off ok but  soon lost ground to  all sorts of  real  important  stuff

if  we  all get togather and pool our info  maybe  we can come up with a  useable way  for  all to  get this done and   join the rest of the world  by actualy   tuneing  an engine rather then throwing parts  togather

many guys  get intimindate'd  by the  numbers and figures,,  don't worry  your not  grinding a cam,  only installing it to where the cam  grinder  intend'd it to be  time'd

you don't have to  know every thing there is about cams , only how to read and have the patiance to learn some thing  new and diff ,that is also very important

with the  new found  use of these roller rocker arms this is gona become more  important then  ever that the cam is properly  time'd  

I'm not really sure what you are after.

Are you looking for a procedure?

How about a list of where everyone's cams are ending up?

Maybe a list of stock cam locations?

I suppose once a good, workable, easy to follow procedure is written, more people would be willing to try it out.

One problem is it requires the purchase of somewhat specialized equipment.

How often would the regular guy use a degree wheel?

Dial indicators can be used in a few places like checking brake rotor run-out, but agian, it's not used often enough for most to justify the cost.

I do think it's important and wished I would have trudged through until I figured out what I was doing wrong.

I look back when I was in the street scene and there was only maybe a handful that dialed their cams in.

I may end up having my car in the garage sooner than I wanted.  If so, I'll do the rings and really work on checking the cam timing.

This procedure used follows almost step for step for me when I dialed my cam in on the Starion.

http://www.well.com/~mosk/degreecam.htm

If you ask me the reason a lot do not degree is because a lot of enthusiasts do not understand it. They can bolt turbos on and what not but the degreeing part is intimidating to a lot of people. If you talk to a guy who degree'd his cam you can tell he's on another level than some other enthusiasts. I know I can notice it.

If you get the dial indicator and base from Harbor Freight you will find they are very, very reasonable.

yea i'd hate to throw away $6 on a  decent  dial  indicator , heck i could have had almost a 12 pac for that  , and $12 for a magnetic  base mount,, man too much  to waste  but  then why  buy a  $150 -$200 cam in the first place

most  expensive thing is the  degree wheel,  if  guys are  close to you  only one needs to have the stuff

i'l  agree  some what to that,,but  do we realy know why  he set the specs  where he did , maybe TimC  can clue  us as to why a grinder  says  this  degree or that  degree center line

my  big  block mopars i always ran  4-6  advance'd , cause  you need'd the power  to launch them  big  slicks , and stay away  from  too much rpms , of course  all were auto's to  ;D

I just got my dial caliperItem number 623 from harbor freight and i will be getting the magnetic base soon too.

7 bucks each.

check out the base item number 5645

it is on sale for $6.99 instore only.

til Dec 6th.

go to harbor freight.com and do an item search

People should just buy one dial the sucker in and sell the tool.

I am into mine for what 14 bucks not counting the wheel.

I am not selling mine since i sell cams but most members should just get it check it and move it to someone in their citty.

like you are not going to get you14 bucks back HELLO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why does this  happen every time we try to  get  togather a  methoid or  system for  degreeing our cams  we get  dead silence ,  

Mike  and  I have try'd over and over to get some thing going  so all of us would  be on the same level and same floor , this is some thing ALL OF YOU will be doing  if you ever  hope to get out of your engine what you think you will

if i have some thing  all wrong , tell me about it, dam i'm  just as human as the next  guy we all make mistakes  

the main thing is we need as a group come up with a way  we can all agree on to degree and check  our cam's timeing , cause you  can beleave the guys  in the wining lane  already  have  

any way whats the deal  with this any way ,  do all of you think it's not nessary to do the dial in of  the cam, is it too hard for you to understand,,  theres nothing hard about it , But  every Time Mike or I try to get  some thing going   we have the  same  thing ,nothing  post'd  , is it no interst  if so  just say so , we both  have other things we could be doing

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sitting here with some time on my hands, so I start reading posts on the ol StarQuest site and run into this one.

I think I'm of the same school you come from Shel, I have degreed in a cam before on my 440 Challenger that I had, do you still have your old Mopar degree wheel? I remember it came with a video on how to do it, it wasn't that hard, but I did have the engine out of the car, that would be a big part of it for me, just getting in there...the 2.6 that is, how many parts have to come off? and a lot of guys won't mess with something that they think isn't broke, or isn't causing any bad problems, only the most serious one's who are trying to get the last ounce of HP out of there cars will even think about it.

And how did you end up with a car like the Quest coming from old Mopars like me?

And one more thing, are you asking to have a procedure because your not sure how to do it, or you do you want to get it all down and have all the experts give there blessing that it's perfect and correct?

Just got done degreeing mine in yesterday as a matter of fact. I am in the middle of a complete rebuild though. Not sure how others are doing it after the fact though. I first dialed in TDC with the head off then assembled timing set and installed the cylinder head. Being carefull not to disturb TDC indicator then dialed in intake lobe centerline. Tough to get an accurate TDC reading down through the spark plug hole. A whole lot more trouble than a V8 engine. My cam was at 111 when  spec was 107. Tims big mechanical one. I degreed it in with the cheap kit the guy is selling on the internet. Not as cool as an adjustable gear but got the results I needed.

man i hate it when you  just type'd  200 words  and  the  entire thing  disapears  >:(

sort of makes you want to say the hell with it all  :-/

any way a short  recap,, heres a couple other threads you may find  helpfull

http://www.starquestclub.com/index.pl?boar...;num=1104983747

http://www.tristarion.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12479

http://www.tristarion.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15584

sence  these threads were start'd i have  learn'd a good  bit ,about  the diff in degreeing these engines and the  v8's we are use'd to  degreeing

ah  well a car is a car anymore,

it was  by acident i  found these  Conquest sites,  6 yr's ago i had  swap'd in an 83  Starion  engine and  fuel system in my 86 Mighty max pick up, and  for the heck of it  thought i'd  look to see if any car sites was arround , been arround  ever  sence , and the old truck is still running, had several  major  swaps and changes sence the first  ;D

Thats cool, I was always trying to make my old muscle cars into sports cars and didn't know it, untill it dawned on me one day what I was doing, and I always liked the Quest since I saw one siting at a Chrysler dealership back in 88 or 89, just like the one I have now ;D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Shelby I just realized after how many years now you still don't see many doing this.

Where to start?? Get all the things you need...the dial indicator and base, the degree wheel, the other hardware. Harbor Freight is great for the dial indicator and magnetic base.

Then read this link over until your blue in the face. It WILL get you to degree your cam if you follow it and really want to do it.

http://www.well.com/~mosk/degreecam.htm

I think a lot of people are very intimidated by cam timing because anyone saying it is a waste is simply mistaken IMHO. You set ignition timing. Advance and retards make a world of diffference on a timing table. What if you plop you cam in and it's 6* retarded?? Or 6* advanced??

Nothing differs on a cam. Timing is just that...timing.