Lets  look at cam degreeing :) maybe

Shelby

I made one... found a long bolt at the hardware store of approximately the correct diameter - with a smooth shank for most of the bolt... cut off the threaded end and used a tap-and-die set to thread the shank portion of the bolt.

mike c.

so is this for adjustment or to see where its at right now? nevermind i will go read the link.

That and more. You get your cam timed to your cam card specs. Then you have a "correct" starting basis to either advance or retard it.

so is this for adjustment or to see where its at right now? nevermind i will go read the link.

That and more. You get your cam timed to your cam card specs. Then you have a "correct" starting basis to either advance or retard it.

how many years have a had this shawn silva adjustable cam gear sitting here? maybe i should learn this degree stuff

i have one of the shawn silva adjustable cam gear sitting here as well. just waiting to use it.

Ya that's what i got. It worked really great.

When you get it dialed in just scribe some marks in so you can check to see if it moved at all or if you ever wanna get back to the degree'd point.

• 2 weeks later...
This is excellent.

It's very intimidating the first time you degree a cam.... you really need to understand it to make sense of it... hard to explain.

I remember the first cam I did was in auto class senior year. My buddy had this wicked tail '73 Scamp with a blown 340. But the teacher *really* got into degeeing so he really wanted us to understand. I'm not so sure we were actually suppose to be doing that as part of the curriculum now that I think of it! lol

I'm just saying if you have never done a cam it's gunna have ya scratching your head at first but it all works out if you really study things and make good sense of what your measuring and what your doing.

This is excellent.

It's very intimidating the first time you degree a cam.... you really need to understand it to make sense of it... hard to explain.

I remember the first cam I did was in auto class senior year. My buddy had this wicked a** '73 Scamp with a blown 340. But the teacher *really* got into degeeing so he really wanted us to understand. I'm not so sure we were actually suppose to be doing that as part of the curriculum now that I think of it! lol

I'm just saying if you have never done a cam it's gunna have ya scratching your head at first but it all works out if you really study things and make good sense of what your measuring and what your doing.

Well, I understood pretty well for an old stoner :wink:

Where do you suppose one would get the centerline data for stock cams?

And equally as important, who's got the adjustable gears :?:

I did it myself the first time and you really do have to sit down and concentrate on what you're working with and taking accurate measurements. I'll be installing a new short block with new timing components and I too have shawn's adjustable gear so I'll degree it again and see where it is. Will probably need adjusted back to stock for the new chain but you never know with milling and such.