Problems with Clearwater head and Roller Rockers

Quest340

In the middle of assembling my cylinder head..Bad problem. The Clearwater cylinder head is cast and machined differently than a stock head. Valves must be in a slightly different location in the cumbustion chamber so accordingly the registers that the rockers butt up agains are machine in a different location. Roller rockers hit each other in the middle. So after having the head custom ported and solid broze guides installed and all the related parts to install the Banshee Roller Cam I am screwed. Holding the old towers/registers up against the new ones there is .100" difference between the two on all of them. Rockers line up with the valve tips so there is not a problem with the machining. I guess I'll have to find another cam and rockers. Anyone looking to trade something. New Roller Cam. Pristine 3.0 Roller rockers, 83 length valves and hardware doing me no good. BUMMER!!!

Right now I've got to decide which direction I want to go with this. I've got to research all over again and figure out what cam/rocker/valve setup to use. I'll let you guys know soon. I posted this as more of a warning to others that were planning the same setup. I need to contact Tim C. and let him know of the potential for problems and maybe send him some photos. Thanks for the interest

it may be that there are more then  one caravan head that is  being solld  , some have problems some do not,, we need to find the caseing  numbers on these heads and  get up a list of the  diff heads in use , almost all the roller rocker  guys are useing non jet  caravan or marnel heads

I had the same problem with my brand new marnal.  Went with stock rockers.   Can someone mic the width of their rollers to see if Quest340 and I just ended up with the wrong set of rockers?

I also might note I'm running the stock rockers with a "roller" cam.  hehe it works fine, it's not a real roller cam if you've ever seen one their not teardrop shaped like our cams they're straight up and down.

All components for this setup are up for trade. I want a mechanical cam and rockers. See FORSALE section

I run a Marnal head and Tim C's mech cam.. no problems whatsoever... in fact I can't say enough good about this cam...it just blows the Schneiders out of the water IMHO...

• 5 months later...
I had the same problem with the aftermarket cylinder head, Turns out the bearing caps are for the caravan, swaping it some stock quest ones will work fine and still line up. I know I was boggled at first and was comparing a stock head ,parts and aftermart head and I swaped out the caps for some good ones from my 89 parts head and it worked, It also seems the caravan rocker shafts have 4 extra oiling holes than stock quest ones,so I used thise in conjuction.I have a few pics that I took with a cheap camera, but someday when I figure out how to post pics I will.If you put the 2 different style caps next to each other you can see the slight difference.

I do'nt recommend swapping cam towers from another head.

That's a NO-NO.

It's like swapping main caps from a different engine.

Those caps are installed and the whole thing is line honed at the factory.

There is theoretically no difference between the Caravan and Starion valve train.

As you've discovered, there are variences in manufacturing tolerances.

It's the old "You get what you paid for" thing.

I haven't run accross the situation you have, but if I did, I would take the caps have the side extensions for the rockers milled down or if they were too shaort, I's make a spacer shim.  That is if the valve were in the right place,

If you did swap the cam towers, at least take a brake hone with the fine stones and lightly hone the holes to make sure they are round.  Really, I'd say swap them back and fix the extensions.

Yes,there is a difference in the towers. Shimming is a No No,tried it and the rockers don't line up correctly. I miced the main cap on both towers and there was no difference and test on the head,my head was a new NJ casting and was in spec with stock quest parts, if you get a head from alabama cylinder heads they don't come with the towers, I also believe Top End's or (slop end) bare head doesn't include them either.

You should go and call Alabama cylinder head and TEP and ask if they come with the towers.

Alabama Cylinder head 800-235-4323

TEP 818-764-1901

I've never heard of a bare casting NOT coming with towers.

The towers are like the main caps on an engine.  They go with the head.

Shiming the rockers is perfectly fine as long as they line up correctly when your done and you use the correct material for your shims.  The purpose of using a shim would be to align the rocker.  There is no sideways force on the rockers themselves.

Again, shimming does not work with the rollers,they WILL NOT LINE UP with the valve as said in my previous post. I bought my head from alabama cylinder heads and thats how I found out the caravan rocker thing and TEP will sell you anything even if it's wrong.Anyway I understand what you are saying and took all precautions to make everything work. I was just expressing an alternative to the problem.