Dyno time on Friday. Advice? Update: #'s are in.

JasonC

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you could try  more then one set of plugs,  one haveing a  wider gape then the other

be intersting to see if  a wider gap would hurt or  help the  engine at top end

say a set at .035 and a set  at .040 or .045 or all 3 if you have time and every thing else  looks cool , oh and do not over heat the engine  just for a dyno run

on higher  boost levels the plugs will make  more of a diff then at 7.5

i would segest not too mess around at low boost for more then 2 runs (deppenting how many you are doing and if you have a wide band 02 connected :)) make sure you have a large fan on the IC and i would segest spraying rubbing alky on the ic becue it isnt as efficant as it would be in the rear world needs a little help, and like shelby said get 1-2 sets of plugs. I would have sets that are diff temp rating. After your first high boost (or what every one is at the most boost you plan running) check all of your plugs make sure nothing is funny and all are good. I think i would just change the gap on the plugs unless the plugs read cold or hot then put the one step colder or hoter plugs in, its about as fast too change the gap as it is too swap new ones in. I would do a .035 then go to .045 then .050 and you probly dont want too go much higher then that and only do that if you have good coil and spark plug wires. Once your spark is too where you want it, and if the wide band is reading ritch, try bumping the timming up 2 degrees too 12, and if all goes well i would try going 1 at a time after that. If you want you could put a bag of ice on the OVCP and or the inj housing, but make sure you dont get water all over. I would make sure you have good fuel also..... If it is running ritch try adjusting the air mixture screw on the air box lid if you have it still. And dont look for big #'s just have fun and work on get it better :)

Great info guys. Thanks. Here is my plan. I am going to do the first run at 20 psi with bpr7es plugs gapped at .035. I have tryed .040 on the street and noticed a loss of power at the top end. I really think with the high boost levels I am running .035 is about it even with the full MSD ignition system. I want to get a good reading from the wideband at 20psi to see where I am at. On the street at 20psi I have no problem delivering fuel. 2nd run 25psi and same gap and plug. Initial advance at 10 deg. 3rd run 25psi bpr8es .035, 10 deg. If there is an improvement I will move the timing to 12 deg on the same plug. If not I will go back to the 7's, because they give a better idle, and move up to 12 deg. I may do a 5th pull but I am not sure. I should have a real good idea of where to go from this. I am excited  ;D and very nervous ???. I have no idea what the numbers will be and am trying not to guess so I am not dissapointed. I will post my mods and numbers tommorrow night. stay tuned.

I viewed your runs. I must say they are very impressive. Your HP stayed up all the way to redline!

Could you post all your mods on the dyno run post on the MPI forum?

Are you running MPI?

You got that darn thing tuned pretty damn nice! Nice A/F curves to boot!

REAL nice power curves. I am really impressed!

;D

Mods: Block bored .040 over, JE forged 8:1 pistons, Total Seal Rings, Race prepped rods, non-jet head ported and polished by yours truly, 284H cam, stock valve train and rockers, MSD ignition control, MSD Blaster II coil, Taylor pro 8mm wires, 18G turbo by FP, Kelly's HP kit, Kelly's 3" exhaust with Dynomax muffler, Act 6 puck, Fidanza flywheel, APEXi AVC-R, ported and polished STOCK intake with OEM injectors, 1G MAS w/ K&N, Master fuel pump, MSD RRFPR. I have an SDS EIC but did not use it. I tryed it on two runs and it really had a negative effect on my power curves. There was a 10hp loss and it looked like a roller coaster. I cant explain why I am maitaining such good fuel throughout the 25psi run but I am very pleased with the numbers.

This is interesting.... my "Free Cheap Mods" Car made more TQ at less boost..... But a whole lot less HP. My set up was running eye watering ritch :)

Jason C's 25psi run

273 Hp @ 5100 rpm

331 Tq @ 3600 rpm

http://www.geocities.com/jcorneglio@prodigy.net/dyno2.JPG

Free Cheap Mods car 21psi, very low timming, and very over ritch, mods are Stock turbo exhaust ported, guted down pipe, no muff, K&N, 3/8 fuel lines, Master Fuel pump, Clear water non jet head (not ported), stock valve train, Some intake porting, and about 6.85:1 CR.

204 Hp @ 4400 rpm

338 TQ @ 3100 rpm

http://63.251.78.219/Image%20file/Dyno_and.../DynoSheet1.JPG

Unbelievable man, that's just amazing.  Any pics of the port work?  If I wasn't seeing it I'd say it was absolutely physically impossible for the stock injectors to flow enough fuel to make that much power.  More details please.  Even perfectly tuned 1500cc's of fuel shouldn't be able to support anything over 200whp, and even that is a stretch.  Great runs though.  Please at least tell me those graphs are corrected to crank output.

I'm sorry to be such a skeptic but the more I look at those graphs the more sure I am that they're not from a 2.6.  I would absolutely love to be wrong, but I just don't buy it.  sure would be cool to hear what it is that made that engine pull like that.  There's really no end insight on the graph, just the driver letting off.

Man I had to look over your mods again. Those numbers with the stock intake and injectors. You give a person hope on making a TBI perform well. Thats some serious boost you got there. I am planning a similar set up on mine, not sure on what C.R. I want to run though. 8.1 looks good but its not to high for that much boost?

Great Runs, put on a MPI and your looking at 300+hp... ;D

I am sorry chip but that was my 2.6 powered quest and that is RWHP. Unfortunately I cant explain why fuel delivery is not a problem. I wish I could. I can say that with the stock MAS I would start leaning out at 18psi. So I went to the scrap yard and picked up the 1G and installed it. On my test run it actually fell on its face from too much fuel when the SDS came in. I was a little nervous but I backed out the SDS and ran it. I only ran up to 20psi before the dyno. When I saw the A/F at 20psi on the dyno I turned it up to 25psi for the second run. I was surprised to see it could deliver the fuel needed and needless to say I about soiled my undies when I saw the graph. It looks like it would have kept making power until it exploded. The runs with the SDS EIC looked like a bumpy road and came nowhere near the flatline power without it.

Boosted if you want to come down my way maybe we can figure out how all that fuel is getting in there. It also might help with the skeptics. Hell if the weathers nice I would drive up there to you tommorrow. Check your Messages.

Nothing to be sorry about Jason.  Trust me, deep down inside I'm sincerely hoping a 2.6 produced that graph and we can figure out how by picking your brain.  It just doesn't add up.  Nothing personal at all.   I mean 275whp is a bit hard to swallow considering I had to go to a complete standalone and MPI with 720cc injectors at about 65%duty cycle to make similar numbers.  Granted I did it at 18psi but still.  Actually it's not really the max output that drops my jaw, it's the usable band that's just fabulous, and here-to-fore unheard of from a tbi car.  If you had two secondary injectors in there it would still be pushed so far beyond the limits of the TBI that it's hard to imagine.  Again, I don't mean to be a d***.  Please accept my sincerest congratulations for your performance accomplishment, and for owning what may be a freak of nature in the starquest world.

Those runs are not very impressive for all the mods he has done. I ran less boost on

my 18G on a stock bottom end, and managed to get 247hp and 319 tq @ 18-20psi

and my fuel cutout at 5k rpm cause i don't have MY RRFPR installed yet.  And i run stock injectors with upgraded pump and fuel filter.

My dyno is posted @ tristarion,

http://www.tristarion.com/phpBB2/viewcar.php?carid=27

the G54B as it sits is very capable, it just takes ppl to put the time into them to restore them and make them run  how there supposed to.

I do have to say though, those curves are very nice, best i have ever seen on TB injection. But you should be capable of alot more HP with your setup. The a/f looks like you put alot of time tuning it.

Right now I am in process of a full 8:1 forged piston, knifed crank, etc.... rebuild and MPI, SDS, and i am building it for 500hp. .

But best of luck to you,

peace,

Kevin

88' esi-r

gentlemen this is one engine we need to have the cam timeing check'd on for sure,hell we need every  part of it document'd, timeing curve  max timeing the works,

fuel pressures , plug gap,coil , basicly  any and every thing  that  has any thing to do with  tuneing what so ever

some thing here is rigth , now what is it ??? ???

Yeah. The car should be donated to Starquestclub and then be dissected for the greater/further good of the Starquest community! Great job Jason! I sure would like to know what you did so I could boost my 19c to 15psi and not be lean! Mark

Very nice. :o I have to ask, why did you get off at 5.6k its obvious that you were still making power. Did you notice valve float?  Did you bump the timming up any above 10 degrees, what happened?