SR20det swap new pix as of 5/30/09

HxC_zombie6

so i need all the info i can find on a sr20det swap like will the stock cross member work or do i need one from a 240sx will the trans fit in the tunnel or does it need to be modified is there clearance in the motor bay or do i need to hammer the fire wall a bit and how straight froward is this swap ? do i need a drive shaft made or is there a stock one from a different car that will work . and what are the specks on the stock differential on the starquest cars how strong are that Edited by HxC_zombie6

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sr is gonna be a pretty straight forward swap. They're nearly the same size as a g54. You will need a custom driveshaft, as the output of the sr tranny is different than the g54. You will be fine on the trans tunnel. And you will be fine on the firewall, the sr's have coolant lines behind the head, they're a tight fit, but shouldn't be any clearance issues... unless you need to replace those lines, so do that before you drop the motor in. This is all from memory, I haven't touched an sr swap in quite a while but I didn't notice any big size differences vs the g54.

The main thing is probably going to be exhaust/intake. They are switched on the sr vs g54.

SQ rear ends are way strong... if the rest of your suspension is up to it. Wheel hop is what breaks parts on the rear end, usually half shafts are the first to go.

There is an austrailian member, Starion4me who has swapped an sr in. Do a search on his name here on SQC.

-Robert

SR in a starion? pretty bad a**!

The motor and trans are smaller than the G54b. Trans is a little slimmer, and the block is a little shorter than a G54b, you will need to make custom motor and trans mounts, You can get the mounts off any ka24de (the stock motor for all 91 and up US SPECIFIC 240sx'es) and the trans mount is the same as all 240sx'es any year. You will need the wire harness and ECU to make it work exct. lemme know if you need any help, Ive owned a few 240sx'es and know them pretty well

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i get my sr20det in 2 weeks ill have all the money then but the hard part is going to wiring and i have no ideal on where to start with that and the starion4me guy does not respond at all so does any one else know ?

also any one interested in my old motor and trans real cheap must pull it your self 53k miles on both say$ 450 for both

got my motor today for the swap going to start the swap as soon as i get the clutch pedal and put it in and get the innercoller so in about a month ill start the swap

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/358953450.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/358953427.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/358953435.jpg

the whole idea behind motor swaps is to put the motor into a hull that is lighter than the original/donor car.

Why swim against the tide ?

well one its a dohc motor sohc is a dead end #2 they can make alot of power for nothing #3 if i mess something up i can just spend another $600 and just drop a new motor in it. if i change out the head gasket and also use ARP head studs and also a better turbo put the boost at about 18 psi thats about 300hp right there

Yeah, what jinx said is not true at all. There is no rhyme or reason to doing a motor swap other than personal preference. No predetermined need for a bigger motor. Why would people swap in a 4g63? Same thing/reason - it has the potential for way more power than the g54b for the same amount of cash spent.

Yeah, what jinx said is not true at all. There is no rhyme or reason to doing a motor swap other than personal preference. No predetermined need for a bigger motor. Why would people swap in a 4g63? Same thing/reason - it has the potential for way more power than the g54b for the same amount of cash spent.

thats what i waz trying to say more power for less $$$ in the long run .. u wate and see D1 is mine this year

Nize.

Wiring should be pretty easy, you will have to interface the SQ chassis harness with the SR ecu harness. SR's run a mostly seperate engine harness, should make it easy.

http://www.frsport.com/SR20DET-Swap-Engine...-SR20_t_26.html

AND:

http://www.projectzerog.com/wiring-how_to.shtml

Boom, all the wiring you need.

-Robert

Maybe... unless...

I will beat you to it!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

http://home.comcast.net/~Komeuppance/SR20D50.jpg

r u really going to do the swap as well ?

JK.

-Robert

r u really going to do the swap as well ? cuz that would be cool .. we can trade info on the swaps as we go

congrats on the motor man, but ummm...D1 as in D1 Gp?... like drifting gran prix? Just wondering what your talking about.... Good luck on the swap...very interested to see how it goes. I've done 2 into 240's, and wiring is a w#ore...

congrats on the motor man, but ummm...D1 as in D1 Gp?... like drifting gran prix? Just wondering what your talking about.... Good luck on the swap...very interested to see how it goes. I've done 2 into 240's, and wiring is a w#ore...

yes im talking about D1 GP theirs 3 events in Indiana and 1 main one in Chicago this year . the main one is aug 1st at solder field the qualifying is the Friday b4 the event .. theirs alot of requirements that need to be mad to enter your car in it stuff iv never even herd of.. like a diff catch can and a trans catch can . and other odd things like that as well

untrue eh ?

Then explain why the VAST majority of "swap" threads involve bigger displacement conversions. You see any 1.6/1.8L swaps ? Why not ?

Where do virtually near all SR20 swaps wind up ? In lighter(than S13) hulls. Why ?

Every G54 swap I've seen was into a lighter hull... why ? Same reason. They will 5h1t all over a similarly moded starquest.... as well as most encounters. Figure it out.

Of course chasis and/or powerplant preference influence the final product, but...

apparently you are not aware that the overwhelming majority of us are interested in significantly improving power to weight ratio- either over the donor vehicle OR the recipient. Or else, why bother with the headache of a swap ???

Choosing a lighter chasis for your favourite powerplant swap OR a bigger displ/torquier motor as a replacement, is a proven age-old practice... you're in denial, arguing against it. Calling it untrue is plain silly. Think before you type

The debate on 4g63 vs g54 powered starquests is another topic for discussion, that can run on for pages... start with the ETs vs mods vs costs :)

On the other hand, if one simply doesn't wanna deal with G54 'quirks', I can totally understand that too.

well one its a dohc motor sohc is a dead end

and what exactly is this "sohc dead end" ? Sounds like you've obviously reached it. We're curious.

You mention a 300hp sr20.... surely you're "looking" beyond 600, aren't you ?

#2 they can make alot of power for nothing

you really think its ez & that much cheaper overall ?

So u can swap in a 300hp SR20 for less than it takes to get 300hp from a G54 ?

oh, and u don't need studs or a gasket to get a reliable 300 from an sr20 btw.

#3 if i mess something up i can just spend another $600 and just drop a new motor in it.

where r u finding $600 SR20s ? I know a couple folks with blown SRs who can use that info.

Your rationale for the swap is weak. Thing is, its your car... don't even need a reason. Just do it

sr20 is a good motor for your purpose, but is the starquest equally suited ? dunno

"D1" tells me 'drifting' and 'huge weight reduction/gutted car' tho... so the weight thing may be a moot point in this case.

Do you plan on taking this 'old' SR20, slinging it around and bouncing it off the limiter for sessions ? If so... good luck with that! Seen too many rod knock locally $$$.

Freshalloy forums was virtually littered with SR20 rod bearing/rebuild threads a while back

No mention of rocker arm stoppers either or cam$$$$ ?

Ambitious goals. Good luck

yes im talking about D1 GP theirs 3 events in Indiana and 1 main one in Chicago this year . the main one is aug 1st at solder field the qualifying is the Friday b4 the event .. theirs alot of requirements that need to be mad to enter your car in it stuff iv never even herd of.. like a diff catch can and a trans catch can . and other odd things like that as well

cool. I would really love to see some pics of your car, especially your roll cage set up, and suspension.

Haha, no that swap went into a 240sUx. I'll stick with my mitsu motors.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, the response is great and so is the souuuuund. Try and weigh the complete engine to see if you're gaining/losing any weight. I just reread your first post, it's a front sump engine, and you won't need to change the front cross member.

However, be SURE to pull the lower oil pan and bang ANY and ALL dents out because the oil pickup tube clearance to the pan is very small. Our engine wouldn't pump oil, and couldn't figure out why... then I looked at the oil pan. Fixed that right away with a soft hammer and RTV.

OR You could upgrade that lower pan too, since you're going to be tracking your car. I believe Greddy makes a nice wider pan.

-Robert

Haha, no that swap went into a 240sUx. I'll stick with my mitsu motors.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, the response is great and so is the souuuuund. Try and weigh the complete engine to see if you're gaining/losing any weight. I just reread your first post, it's a front sump engine, and you won't need to change the front cross member.

However, be SURE to pull the lower oil pan and bang ANY and ALL dents out because the oil pickup tube clearance to the pan is very small. Our engine wouldn't pump oil, and couldn't figure out why... then I looked at the oil pan. Fixed that right away with a soft hammer and RTV.

OR You could upgrade that lower pan too, since you're going to be tracking your car. I believe Greddy makes a nice wider pan.

-Robert

k thanx ill look into that