Thoughts on the 4g63 engine in the quest

Dragon87

the tranny you need is from a 83-88 mighty max or d50,  pretty sure those are the years, dont hold me to that.  also must be from a 2.0 liter motor.

here is a pic of mine with measurements of the tranny and block

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/dsm2nv/lst?&...rc=bc%26.view=t

starion tranny is 13.25 inch bellhousing.  the 4g63 and the tranny you need is 12.25" bellhousing.  

you need a FWD 4g63 flywheel

the d50 tranny is junk if you plan to build real HP.....  i have seen the starion guts swapped into the d50.  its more then just unbolting the bellhousing and bolting on the starion one.  does anyone have directions to swap the tranny guts?

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proper bellhousings along with the other items required for the swap will be available on my site shortly. www.starconquer.com .  This will allow you to bolt on a Toyota W series, which is very reliable in this application.

Take care

Shawn

ahh the infamous 4g63 question...well at least your gettin better anwser than me... i wanted to do this swap myself but have decided to go with another 4 cyl instead. as far as trans go bushur racing will tell you to but there mounts and to use a chevy tubo 350.....although since the block of the jap and aussie 2.0L cars is the same as the 4g63 it should bolt up...and of course the D50 trans will...weither itll hold the power of a modded 4g63 is beyond be...although a toyota trans can be used i beleive that article said that he had to have a bell houseing or adapter plate made...but i dont remember and im to lazy to look ::) ...anyway goodluck with your swap and post some time slips when its runnning....as for me im saving my hard earned pennies because the engine and trans of choice for me have just been released from chysler in a combination of 3 of there new vehicles... ;D...can you gues what it is.... 8)

Metric Man,

Your link does not convince me that this conversion is worth doing.  Also your little ram head diamond star logo is bunk.  The only thing that Chrysler Corp had to do with the Conquest was slap their name on the title.

WHY u busting his balls you need to do a engine swap . Geeze

$hit like that is why people that actually can do things leave the forum, and leave alot of geeks that dont even know how to adjust the TPS sitting around asking the same questions over and over again.  How about something constructive !

dont kill me but go to buschurracing.com email david buschur. they might have a kit to do this all ready for sale.

www.buschurracing.com

with results like this

http://www.buschurracing.com/Conquest_downtrack_LG2.jpg

it is hard to not think about the swap.

http://www.buschurracing.com/Conquest_Engine_Large_1.jpg

Thats a W58 86.5+.  A  R154 will not fit, the bolt pattern is completely different as well as the case being larger and it will not fit in a quest stock tunnel.  The W58 is a tight fit, but it fits no problem.

Before you throw around information about a transmission that the UK has been bolting behind Holden V8's, Jag's and high horsepower turbo applications, you might want to do your homework.  You can blow up any transmission if you try.  The W58 has proven to handle bucketloads of torque, many with the n/a Supra's have swapped to turbo engines and retained the same transmission with no problems over 450 horse, and thats with the massive torque the 'ol mighty six provides.

Take care

Shawn

in the hands of a jackazz, u could blow up most gearboxes

Guys have busted up plenty R154s too... some under 400hp

I have also seen W58s live behind some pretty powerful 7Ms gone turbo

*Drive sensibly*, and W58 would take all your little 4cyl could throw at it... don't beat the s*** outta your gearbox, cause u won't be setting any records while breakin' em. Go make some more power

I'd like to know how 'close' that bellhousing is.  It must be bangon, there is no room for error unless you like main bearing wear, chewed up flywheels, harmonic vibrations that come and go, clutch chatter, front bearing/retainer wear and exploding drivetrain to name a few.

Not tooting my own horn but the bellhousings I have fabricated and plan to market on their own and in the 4g63 kit have less than 4 thou runout.  Now if I could just center my attention on one r&d project I could offer more to the community!

Take care

Shawn

man, does he even have any kind of driveshaft under that suzuki?  looks like the tailshaft would pretty much reach the rear end ;)

and even for rock crawling, i don't see the purpose of having that many forward gears.  if it's a dedicated rock crawler it should only need about 3 nice low gears and some really low axle gearing.  i'd love to see someone trying to decide which shifter to grab there though ;D  it would be a pain to remember which combo is which gear.