PICS:  header and turbo installed

I took a few pics of the header install.  Everything went well. Hood closes too :)

Coming along real nicely. Lots of wrenching the last week :)

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/1C/5B/20382492-bd81-02000180-.jpg

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/1D/5B/20382493-81fe-02000180-.jpg

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/1F/5B/20382495-c05a-02000180-.jpg

Can you list the specifics of the turbo.

Looks nice.

BTW that feed line looks  huge. Will that cause a problem? Too much pressure on the feed side is not always a good thing for the turbo right?

Mark- this is Chads header for the T-4 and it's a new item this time around.

Turbo specs are:

TO4B .60 A/R 60-1 - split tang .70 O trim

The oil feed line is a -6 which matches the inlet diameter of the oil infeed.

This turbo is oil only so it actually has a twice as large oil passage to the bearing as an oil/water turbo. The return line is -12.

I did some research and a lot of guys running Garret run a -4 for the oil/water turbos and a -6 for oil only. I will be keeping an eye on it though.

You are right, too much oil to the bearing can be a bad thing.

Thank you kindly for the compliments. Lots of work, time and $$ into it. :)

I should see 15psi by 3300-3600 as a rough guess.

I spec'd the turbo and around the turbo to spool up fairly quick for a larger turbo but just flow all day till the cows come home.

whats the little radiator for on the front left?

oil?

i think that is an awesome setup!

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/1F/5B/20382495-c05a-02000180-.jpg

That's actually the power steering cooler. When I installed the FUSO IC I had to remove the PS cooling line.

Knowing Mitsu ran a PS cooler for a reason I wanted to make sure I had something back in there.

Not sure how much it does but the steering is no different before I did this.

There's plenty of room under the hood. I put a touch of grease to the highest parts to see if it hit and no transfer to the hood.

Car is not running. Needs exhaust, run my -8 fuel line, install Tim C's 110 amp alternator and other stuff.

Should be going in the next few weeks.

I believe that the revival of your machine is right there with the most anticipated things on this forum.  So, get to work!  And don't screw it up this time ;-)

Honestly though, hook some headphones up to the block and make sure it sounds healthy during the dyno.  I don't know if we can handle another catastrophe on here.

I must say that I am very curious if you can create some high RPM HP with that header and exhaust housing.  I'm also curious to hear how your cam timing affects the results.

If you do happen to blow up another engine, count me in to help compensate you for the R & D.  I've learned a bunch from your "experiments" and expect to learn a bunch more.

There's no denying it, you are the current torch bearer.  Lucky you :) !

Well thank you.

I will be going into a gun fight with a gun now not a knife so I should be better matched this year.

I'll have WB O2 in the car, knock sensing and the EGT's to monitor.

Won't be grenading this motor hopefully,but the chance always lies there, with anyones motor.

I feel my combos weren't matched up as good as they needed to be last year.

Problem is we don't have a proven mod list like the DSM guys do.

I should be able to pull the powerband better up to redline.

time will tell...

I PREFER working on a car without huge aftermarket support and no shopping list of parts to buy in order to reach certain levels of performance.  It means that much more when you get it right ;)

Nate

I PREFER working on a car without huge aftermarket support and no shopping list of parts to buy in order to reach certain levels of performance.  It means that much more when you get it right ;)

Nate

You got it my friend!

that's what has made me keep the car for the last 12 years! :)

no body asked yet so I will.  Can you get your spark plugs out;)  

i wouldnt think you had any clearance problems given where the stock Tb stuck up to.  I had a friend who had some work done at a perf shop and they mounted everything for him.  only problem.  he slammed the hood down once to get it closed and popped a nice dent in his hood from the BOV.  I dont think you will have problems like that.  if you do, just cut the hood and scoop the air to the turbo;)

mike, was it you with the fuso intercooler?  i cant remember and i couldnt see in teh pics.  Cant wait til it runs.

I'll have WB O2 in the car, knock sensing and the EGT's to monitor.

Hey mike, one thing that might be helpful for you would be to mount a digi vid cam in the car that can see the guages so you have some sort of record of each run.  SDS has no datalog right?  I know it's hard to watch 4 or 5 things at once and remember what happened.

Nate