NEW GT series turbos

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that flow map is misleading, I know of several T-4 maps that outflow the map you provided for the GT series.  look at the Turbonetics site, you will find seveal 60-62 series compressors.

Hey Neil, sorry to hear the turbo isn't producing the boost where we would like it. We knew it would be a gamble, give me a call or instant message so we can fix the problem. Talk to you soon. As for the 1.12 housing on the Precision turbo, I would need some turbine wheel sizes to say what I think. But just by looking at it I would say no freakin way its gonna work on a 2.6. Those guys are good but that would be quite a trick wish you could post a pick from behind the turbo (turbine exducer). Good luck.

Alex C

305-681-3297

AIM:boostmyride

For the most part a car that has a strong exhuast flow would be better off with "open flow" tangential housings. On small engines that your trying to push to make lots of power with big A/R''s like Neils your probalby better off with a divided housing. But it does depend on your combination header design and what is going to come together best for a clean fluid flowing system. Some times on center housings are the way to go. What really matters is sizing, big is big and most of the time laggy. But using Neils ride as a example again with the TDO5 that was on the car the party was over before it even began. When the car was just starting to get into the power ban the turbo was spent. Now we have to be able to size the turbine in a way that strong boost comes in at around 3800rpm and pulls till 6500rpm. I have trick up my sleve.

OH I am sure you do have a few tricks up your sleeve over at MIC ;)

When you say strong exhaust flow do you mean a 4V head type of flow?

What's your opinion on this turbo I got?

TO4B 60-1  .60 A/R  /   O trim split tang .70 A/R  (MIC built of course :) )

Same turbine as Neil but a step smaller on the exhaust trim.

I figure I'll see boost around 3200- 3600 area with the combos I chose.

You are spot on spot with your TDO5 comments. I know this first hand as the TDO5 side is way too small for a built 2.6L IMHO

BTW I appreciate you guys at MIC helping our club out and stopping over here. Stay awhile no doubt!

What is a O trim in the turbonics stage naming system? Is like like a stage 5 or so? Wish everyone would use the same names for the same thing...... If someone mad a graft that would be sweet.

that flow map is misleading, I know of several T-4 maps that outflow the map you provided for the GT series.  look at the Turbonetics site, you will find seveal 60-62 series compressors.

Yes, it is "outflowed" by many compressors, but I didn't buy this because of max comressor flow. It boosts well into 30psi range.

and has a flow of 550 lb./min in the usuable efficient range @ 20-25 psi, which is what my max boost will be.

on another note, i was wondering where the SS header was that is going to spin this turbo? Waiting a few weeks with no reply.

thanks,

kevin

What is a O trim in the turbonics stage naming system? Is like like a stage 5 or so? Wish everyone would use the same names for the same thing...... If someone mad a graft that would be sweet.

O trim  is:

exducer: 2.296"

inducer: 2.922"

I can't find any specs on a stage5 from turbonetics. It only lists up to stage 3 which is:

exducer: 2.229"

inducer: 2.559"

Kevin ; ups tracking 1z8490570346958963  It went out a few days ago.

That flow map does look like a good comprimise between flow and lag.  I just thought the T-4 used in that comparison was a lower flowing unit and thus not an honest comparison. I blame the vendor for that, not you Kevin.

Also on that large A/R, we need to keep in mind this is baised on a T-3 turbine, this A/R is equlivilant to a .70 T-4 which is in the "streetable" range, a good choice for the setup Kevin is using in my opinion.

Well i kind of jumped the gun on my turbo, downiing it before AI got a few more

opinions. I took it the other day to a local guy that know his turbo stuff and he thinks I should leave it just as it is.  He must of pointed out 5-6 problems with my setup that were affecting my spool/boost performance. So i'm gonna resolve a few problems before I take it off and then going to tune it. I've raised the boost a little more to 14psi and 1st and 2nd gear arent anything special, 3rd and 4th is a world of difference....so im looking at everything again from an optimistic point of view  :D

-Neil

Well i kind of jumped the gun on my turbo, downiing it before AI got a few more

opinions. I took it the other day to a local guy that know his turbo stuff and he thinks I should leave it just as it is.  He must of pointed out 5-6 problems with my setup that were affecting my spool/boost performance. So i'm gonna resolve a few problems before I take it off and then going to tune it. I've raised the boost a little more to 14psi and 1st and 2nd gear arent anything special, 3rd and 4th is a world of difference....so im looking at everything again from an optimistic point of view  :D

-Neil

Aw you mean people can't blame the split tang anymore?? ::)

I think it'll work well Neil but the only thing I am a little leary with is the p trim, so prove me wrong :)

every 10 lb/min is equal to 144.7178 cfm

That would be true if the ambient air was at 120.5 °F.

At 77 °F the conversion is 10 lbm/min = 134.3831 CFM. That's the funny thing with air, it's density not only changes with pressure but also temperature.  Which is exactly the reason why we have intercoolers on our cars. I love this stuff. ;)

55lb/hr is ~ 775 cfms

55 lb/min.  ::)

That would be true if the ambient air was at 120.5 °F.

At 77 °F the conversion is 10 lbm/min = 134.3831 CFM. That's the funny thing with air, it's density not only changes with pressure but also temperature.  Which is exactly the reason why we have intercoolers on our cars. I love this stuff. ;)

55 lb/min.  ::)

oops  ::) ::)  55lb/min.

the figure I gave is at 85.31F according to my notes.

of course there will be variables which change the CFM output.  

Kev wrote 550lb/min if he meant cfm thats less than 16G.  If its correct and the conversion is 10 lb/min = 134 cfm @77 F than your talking 7370cfm.  Thats alot.  If it was an error than 737 cfm is comparable to a 20G.  :-/ It looks a little big to only be flowing 737 cfm

I'm a tard, sorry guys I forgot that he posted the map on the first page. :-/

Looks like this thing is going to be inline with the 20G. between 15-22 ish psi its going to flow right around 670cfm. The thing is it's right on the edge of the outside island. I can't read the print (too small) but its the least efficient area.  Unless I'm looking at something wrong.  Size wise, that thing should flow a bunch more or at least it looks like it should.  Its a monster.

Again, I'm not sure what the efficency is but the 20G hybrid I got from MIC should flow 850cfm at 15psi. Or so says Mike from MIC. Let us know how it works out.

I'm a tard, sorry guys I forgot that he posted the map on the first page. :-/

Looks like this thing is going to be inline with the 20G. between 15-22 ish psi its going to flow right around 670cfm. The thing is it's right on the edge of the outside island. I can't read the print (too small) but its the least efficient area.  Unless I'm looking at something wrong.  Size wise, that thing should flow a bunch more or at least it looks like it should.  Its a monster.

Again, I'm not sure what the efficency is but the 20G hybrid I got from MIC should flow 850cfm at 15psi. Or so says Mike from MIC. Let us know how it works out.

The compressor housing size is misleading. If you notice the trim does not fill up the inlet. Big housings giving that appearance. If it had a T-76 trim then ya it would produce gobs of CFM.

My 60-1 flows 800 cfm @15psi and that's maxed out.

Your hybrid Heffner IS going to flow a lot. Not quite sure about 850cfm but it's going to flow!!

I am interested to see how this GT turbo works out witht hat 1.12 A/R on the hot side.

I seen his turbo its stinking Huge :o lookes very nice, The wheels do seam too spin very ez alot better then the old turbo i have now. The compressor its self looks about as large as about a 60-1 or so. The exhaust turbine is about as large as a stage 5 t3 wheel with a new wheel desing The housing is very large and very thick. It does seam like it may spool pretty decent, in air inlet on the turbo is a good idea it should flow a good deal more then a normal inlet I thot about doing the same basic idea with making the turbo boot like that but never got around too it.