NEW GT series turbos

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading a few articles on these turbos, I think those of that feel the turbine housing is too large, we are looking at it from the wrong point of view. I think someone posted it earler, but that 1.12 housing, isnt it based on a T3 housing? So that 1.12 A/R (which is just a ratio not a volume) is closer to a .70-.80 on a T4 turbine housing in terms of volume. So, given how much lighter the rotating mass in the turbo is and the ball bearing technology. It should be very efficient and make some nice power. This is what was confusing me, I was seeing 1.12 as a volume on a T4 housing and thinkig thats insanely large.....now i can see a little bit clearer  ;)

-Neil

The exhaust side isnt as large as you would think by looking at it on paper, it is very heavy and thick, i dont think he will have any spool up issues with everything correctly set up. The wheel is about as large as my T3 stage 5 turbine, and mine isnt that bad of spool at all so i dont think he will have any major problems with spool :)

• 4 weeks later...
??? I was checking out your alternator setup. I looks like it will be able to handle the energy demand the can will need to get the car running well. I have been exploring customizing my stock alternator setup. It looks like you are using an eclipes alternator and a customize support bracket.  Can you tell me a little about your alternator setup?

My alternator is out of a 2001 dodge caravan, and i have to run an external voltage regulator and use a talon bracket and some spacers. I haven't run the car yet, but it should work fine, and it is 150amp so it very powerful and looks to be high quality, its delco brand.

thanks,

kevin

I just got off the dyno saterday and befor my rpm sensor started to pack it in we tuned up to 3500rpm on 8psi(wastgate) where it had 177whp

I run a 60-1 a/r .70 with P-trim a/r 1.00 split tang

we had

3psi at 2000rpm

7psi @ 2500rpm

and was on the wastgate befor 3000

do plan on running 20psi so will let u know what rpm it hits that at next week

I just got off the dyno saterday and befor my rpm sensor started to pack it in we tuned up to 3500rpm on 8psi(wastgate) where it had 177whp

I run a 60-1 a/r .70 with P-trim a/r 1.00 split tang

we had

3psi at 2000rpm

7psi @ 2500rpm

and was on the wastgate befor 3000

do plan on running 20psi so will let u know what rpm it hits that at next week

That's pretty darn good, especially with such a large A/R on the hot side!

Are you running an open or split tang housing?

Hey Mike, Glen here(4gmits)

my computer is down atm and i have forgoten my password and username so i have this for now.

that was also with a gen2 magna head and my prototype turbo header that i have put a bit of thought into.

so the GT turboes could b good. i have heard a lot of good about them. im also told that the 25g with the 12cm2 turbine end spools much better than my turbo and has more top end. so i amay try one of them next.

Hey Mike, Glen here(4gmits)

my computer is down atm and i have forgoten my password and username so i have this for now.

that was also with a gen2 magna head and my prototype turbo header that i have put a bit of thought into.

so the GT turboes could b good. i have heard a lot of good about them. im also told that the 25g with the 12cm2 turbine end spools much better than my turbo and has more top end. so i amay try one of them next.

Heya Glen!

Is that a stock Gen2 head?

My ported US Marnal head is outflowing a stock Gen2 and if these sort of trends are going to be more typical with a larger turbo coupled with a free flowing head and a  good header then I am really looking forward to it.  ;D

What's the specs on your current turbo Glen?

Boy Mike your not reading very compleatly :) He said all of his turbo spex  in his first post ;D

On a side note got too porting my Clear water head for the monturbo, and man the more i look at the CW head the more i like it. It DEFF flows more then the marnal (if they had the same valves) the exhaust port is almost compleatly flat, and their is only like 2 sharp edges, plus the intake has 1mm larger ports :o (then stock and marnal).

Also i have too post a pic of my engine as it stands now :), the fuel rail and FPR Polish really well on the magna take a look

http://www.tristarion.com/images/carpics/1055800467.jpg

Boy Mike your not reading very compleatly :) He said all of his turbo spex  in his first post ;D

I was checking the board and typing in between running my printing press, I didn't see it was the same guy (Glen). Yes I didn't read it too well.  

Thanks again for the clarification.  

• 1 month later...