what do you need for a 12 sec. car?

svo

Lizz, dont take this the wrong way but will you blow up that motor already so you can rebuid it and run your setup WFO!   ;)  I'm getting impatient.  Between your setup and all the other projects I see in the works and no one is quite there yet.  I thought for sure I would break into the 12's this summer but now my turbo's on the way out and I won't be in any condition to fix it in the next few months. By next srping the car will be back together but with new suspension, new t-body, and new turbo and I'll have to relearn the car all over again. Man this is getting frustraiting. >:(

Hey didnt see your post here, hehehe no plans on blowing mine up just for you ;) I do plan on running 20-25psi on the dyno tho :D I am hoping to break and 12 Feb 1st (after car is dyno tunned i will race it at gainsvill fl with the Et streets :D).

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG OMG OMGOMGOMGOMG! You've converted me to the all mighty 4G63 motor.  Man, I was such a fool for thinking that I should ever keep my stupid truck motor in my car and enjoy tuning that thing.  Sorry I was so stupid.  :(

Seriously, the G54B hasn't got nearly the aftermarket the 4G63 has and that one HUGE reason why there aren't more fast Starions out there.  Like it's already been said, if I wanted huge power and super fast times with little money, I'd put a 351W into a Pinto, and watch my super fast times.

Also, why the hell are you trying to tell everyone to convert over to another engine?  I mean, why can't a person enjoy tuning an oddball eninge and making power out of it. I guess all the AMC guys are just idiots because they have little support and yet are trying to go fast (with turbos too, I might add).

Oh, and if your 5.0 mustang got beat by a mildly modded DSM, then you either hadn't done enough work to the thing (gears come to mind) or else you just suck at driving.  12 seconds street legal isn't hard at all to acheive on those cars, and lower times aren't that far out of reach either.  

Asshat.

OMG OMG OMGOMGOMGOMG! You've converted me to the all mighty 4G63 motor.  Man, I was such a fool for thinking that I should ever keep my stupid truck motor in my car and enjoy tuning that thing.  Sorry I was so stupid.  :(

good to see that you have seen the light!

Seriously, the G54B hasn't got nearly the aftermarket the 4G63 has and that one HUGE reason why there aren't more fast Starions out there.  Like it's already been said, if I wanted huge power and super fast times with little money, I'd put a 351W into a Pinto, and watch my super fast times.

actually speak of the devil a twin carbed big block v8 pinto came into our shop today, and got on it leaving, and it wasn't near as impressice as the C5 vette that was in just a week earlier when he left.

Also, why the hell are you trying to tell everyone to convert over to another engine?  I mean, why can't a person enjoy tuning an oddball eninge and making power out of it. I guess all the AMC guys are just idiots because they have little support and yet are trying to go fast (with turbos too, I might add).

I'm not trying to convert anyone, I am merely stating don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I hear a million people hating the 4g63. and why? because it's newer and benefits from newer techonology and aftermarket support? go hate on some ls1's then ....... christ...........

Oh, and if your 5.0 mustang got beat by a mildly modded DSM, then you either hadn't done enough work to the thing (gears come to mind) or else you just suck at driving.  12 seconds street legal isn't hard at all to acheive on those cars, and lower times aren't that far out of reach either.  

then where are all of the 12 second conquests? I have shown you all of the 12 second and better dsm that are JUST FROM MY AREA, not the entire U.S. . so show me the 12 second quests from your area. and grnated there aren't as many quests running around so I will give ebenfit of the doubt on a 4:1 ratio for every one 12 second quest we'll cancel out 4 12 second dsm's. just show me some actual numbers.

Asshat.

completely uncalled for troll......... thanks for stopping by..... do not pass go, do not collect $200.

From PiercedJD

I'm not trying to convert anyone, I am merely stating don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I hear a million people hating the 4g63. and why? because it's newer and benefits from newer techonology and aftermarket support? go hate on some ls1's then ....... christ...........  

From 4G63-510

I've turned HARD core Toyota fans into switching to 4G63 power.

Ok, how is that not converting people?  And you and 4G63-510 are here trying to tell us that the G54B is something we need to get rid of if we ever want to make power.  

I'm getting mad at this because I don't see where people said that the DSM's are slow.  I don't hate technology either, I just hate when people make comments like the two of you are making, that the engine we're trying to build upon is useless to do because you have to really work to make it fast.  That is the same thing that a lot of v-8 owners end up saying, that you need to ditch the engine to go with <chevy, Ford, or Dodge> this v-8 because it'll take too much work to make power out of the engine that you've got.  I don't like it when they say that, and I don't like it when it's being said on here.  I think it's cool that you guys have swapped engines and are making some good power, but that doesn't mean someone else is stupid to do so.

How many people had there tails handed to them by 4g63 power??? Iam willing to bet that none of you have ever beaten a DSM! Maybe you should go for a ride in a DSM you might change your tune.

As for my old 5.0L or my driving - f-you. I sunk $6000 into that american POS. The same 6 grand that would make the G54B haul a**. I may not be the best driver in the world but I have no problem cutting a .350-.400 light, for those of you that have even been to a drag strip. What are some of your reaction times??? Do you even know?

Did someone pee in your wheaties???

There is a reason they don't make the G54B any more. The same reason there arn't any more 5.0L or small block chevs. It is called technology. I know it may be tough for some of you to swallow, just do it slow and easy. It will go down.

Am I saying don't build the G54B? NO Just don't waste too much of your hard earned money. That is all I am trying to say.

Did I waste a ton of money on that pre-historic L-series that came in my 510? Not only no, but hell no! I could have done the SDS EFI thing, made manifilds blah blah blah. But I wanted low dollar reliable horses. I figure I save about 1/2 on doing the 4G63 thing.  Well worth it if you ask me.

To each his own. But how much does it cost to make the G54B run 12s without N2O?

Can it even be done on stock ecu and ijectors? What about the bottom end?

At what power level does the G54B need to be made stronger? I know the 4G63 is about 400-450 hp. And I am talking wheel hp. Just look in Turbo mag. at the Galant that they are building in Dyno cell. 437hp at the wheels with over 90K on the engine.

Open and expand some of your small minds, it won't hurt!!!

not for arguements sake, but just to clear a few things up

Eric P is a DSM guy. He got fed up with drivetrain probs and looked to a starquest to host his powerplant. Maybe your question to him should be, "why did HE choose a starion". I see no point there

Just curious Pierce, were u a DSMer or just gave up on the 2.6 ?

Sakura is an example of when someone dares to be different and ignore the masses. He believed in the motor and stuck with it, exception or not. First import in the 7s... on a 030 over oe block, stock crank, stock valve size, hacked oe intake, haltec, big turbo, etc... I really don't see any comparable efforts using anything less exotic. Do you?

When I replacd the "venerable" 3tc in my first corolla with a uk starion 2.0L tubo, I got the same silly static. When done, EVERYONE wanted to buy it

If u gotta ask where the 12sec starquests are, you really haven't been around 2.6s long - there have been quite a few. I've posted some examples of really quick street cars, but u seem to want to discredit them just because there aren't hundreds of em... I don't see any sense in that, as their specifics were detailed and easy to duplicate... how many people CHOOSE to is NOT the issue. Whether its worth it, thats for u to decide, but we can compare some numbers, huh

If you look at it, a healthy stock, good running 2.6 IS an exception.

Once u get to that starting point, the same things u put on a DSM will make a 2.6 very respectable performer. There were lotsa posts on the old bbs regarding 14,16,18G, oe tbi, oe piston 2.6s - starquest community was buzzing then. Admittedly most were street kills of known 13sec factory cars - gotta realize that MOST starquestors built their cars for exactly that purpose and DON'T wanna tax their drivelines drag racing. Whas wrong with that? Life is longer than a 1/4 mile

When my 2.6 spoolup, it breaks traction, gets sideways sometimes and sucks u back in the seat... thats on a 16g+ 2.5 exhaust, oe tbi, oe motor. I mean this thing is a blast - more fun than any of my dsms

The 4g63's advantage are stronger? pistons, mpfi and TUNING. (I put a ? on pistons because oe tbi has poor distribution than consistently ran leaner on 2 & 3, so you'd need mpfi to accurately test oe slug limits)

Starions are old, so when freshening up, go with $400 wisecos. (lets not forget, LOTSA dsm guys are rebuilding too, so...) 2.6 Cam $175, springs $65.. not ridiculously expensive like HK$$$$ for 4g63.

I used Franks car as an exapmle because his mpfi consisted of an SDS & a modified oe intake. Probably not the most efficient route, but it works and I consider it now on par with the 4g63, having eliminated its shortcomings.

Now, is that a "ton of money" compared to a dsm safc, blah mas, pocketlogger/ palm ? (I still own my 4th & 5th dsm.. talon awd, fwd)

2.6 Potential; 12.8s on a PUNY 12A is no good for you? (he ran quicker on other turbos, sometimes spraying)

Is that example so hard to duplicate ?

Yep, Rolos 11.22s rapist is not the norm, but that doesn't make it any less attainable. It's been detailed; 20G, header, cam, mpfi, etc

I can go on with examples, but if u don't get the point by now, u won't

No multiport is not for everyone, but is it really that more costly than dsm tuning mods listed above ?  On top of this, add up the swap costs to put the 4g63 in a starquest and tell me what u come up with ?  The numbers WILL surprise you.

not for arguements sake, but just to clear a few things up

Eric P is a DSM guy. He got fed up with drivetrain probs and looked to a starquest to host his powerplant. Maybe your question to him should be, "why did HE choose a starion". I see no point there

Just curious Pierce, were u a DSMer or just gave up on the 2.6 ?

Sakura is an example of when someone dares to be different and ignore the masses. He believed in the motor and stuck with it, exception or not. First import in the 7s... on a 030 over oe block, stock crank, stock valve size, hacked oe intake, haltec, big turbo, etc... I really don't see any comparable efforts using anything less exotic. Do you?

When I replacd the "venerable" 3tc in my first corolla with a uk starion 2.0L tubo, I got the same silly static. When done, EVERYONE wanted to buy it

If u gotta ask where the 12sec starquests are, you really haven't been around 2.6s long - there have been quite a few. I've posted some examples of really quick street cars, but u seem to want to discredit them just because there aren't hundreds of em... I don't see any sense in that, as their specifics were detailed and easy to duplicate... how many people CHOOSE to is NOT the issue. Whether its worth it, thats for u to decide, but we can compare some numbers, huh

If you look at it, a healthy stock, good running 2.6 IS an exception.

Once u get to that starting point, the same things u put on a DSM will make a 2.6 very respectable performer. There were lotsa posts on the old bbs regarding 14,16,18G, oe tbi, oe piston 2.6s - starquest community was buzzing then. Admittedly most were street kills of known 13sec factory cars - gotta realize that MOST starquestors built their cars for exactly that purpose and DON'T wanna tax their drivelines drag racing. Whas wrong with that? Life is longer than a 1/4 mile

When my 2.6 spoolup, it breaks traction, gets sideways sometimes and sucks u back in the seat... thats on a 16g+ 2.5 exhaust, oe tbi, oe motor. I mean this thing is a blast - more fun than any of my dsms

The 4g63's advantage are stronger? pistons, mpfi and TUNING. (I put a ? on pistons because oe tbi has poor distribution than consistently ran leaner on 2 & 3, so you'd need mpfi to accurately test oe slug limits)

Starions are old, so when freshening up, go with $400 wisecos. (lets not forget, LOTSA dsm guys are rebuilding too, so...) 2.6 Cam $175, springs $65.. not ridiculously expensive like HK$$$$ for 4g63.

I used Franks car as an exapmle because his mpfi consisted of an SDS & a modified oe intake. Probably not the most efficient route, but it works and I consider it now on par with the 4g63, having eliminated its shortcomings.

Now, is that a "ton of money" compared to a dsm safc, blah mas, pocketlogger/ palm ? (I still own my 4th & 5th dsm.. talon awd, fwd)

2.6 Potential; 12.8s on a PUNY 12A is no good for you? (he ran quicker on other turbos, sometimes spraying)

Is that example so hard to duplicate ?

Yep, Rolos 11.22s rapist is not the norm, but that doesn't make it any less attainable. It's been detailed; 20G, header, cam, mpfi, etc

I can go on with examples, but if u don't get the point by now, u won't

No multiport is not for everyone, but is it really that more costly than dsm tuning mods listed above ?  On top of this, add up the swap costs to put the 4g63 in a starquest and tell me what u come up with ?  The numbers WILL surprise you.

GREAT POST!!

This anti 2.6l attitude is EXACTLY the attitude that has been going on for awhile on the DSM list. I can see where some of it comes from.

Just mention SAKURA on the Talon Digests once. :)

All hail the 4g63  ::)

Iam willing to bet that none of you have ever beaten a DSM!

umm last time i checked the conquest and starions were DSMs and if it werent for the starquest u guys wouldnt even have ur precious T,E,L's   so umm yaa anyways the conquests and starions are DSMs   and now that i think of it i beat 2 eclipses with my red conquest with no major engine mods   just MSD turned up boost and exhaust    i beat a 97 GSX from the START! so much for his all wheel drive .   and i know this isnt saying much but i beat a non turbo 96 eclipse real real real bad lol.

so to each his own   if u guys love 4g63s COOL BEANS UR NUMBER 1! UR NUMBER 1!  there i said it         u guys are gods and we should burn our ultra RARE starquests and go out and buy the car everyone has an eclipse!   by the way   i actually thought about buying a gsx about a year ago and every one of my friends said "dude thats a girls car! everytime u see one a hot chick is driving it"        and theyre right.

dude thats a girls car! everytime u see one a hot chick is driving it.

Well you ultra cool "dude," sorry for ruffling your feathers.

Your Starion is NOT a DSM. It was not made in the US. A DSM is a Diamond Star Motors. You have the advantage here. Your car was made in Japan. Mine was made by union ran workers here in the good ol' USA. Fit and finish SUCK.

I may be wrong so don't sue me.

As for you beating a DSM WOW thats neat. You must fast. You car should be in the next Fast and the Furious(sp?). You better sign up DUDE!!!

Oh yea-- I was wrong, the G54B is the greatest motor (is it even an engine?) that ever was or will be made!!!

There I said it, my true fealings.

hey guys

i see all the arguements posted here and there are truths and falses to both claims.

weather a g54b or a 4g63 is the better motor?

here are some cold hard facts!!

i live in nyc and have had my 86 quest since 1994 when i bought it for 3k. and now i see no quests on the road and plenty of dsm and honda's etc.

and only until this summer after dumping 15k into the car, can i actually say and prove that my 86 does a 12.7 @ 129 mph, which was done at e-town on 11/3/02

at the import vs domestic shootout.

and it was not an easy road. g54b are hard to make them rev, you have to understand that its a motor designed for a truck and its stroked for low end touque.

my machine shot went thru 5 different combinations or bore x stroke to finally get the proper combination. and i still only have a redline of 7500. second you will never get a starion into the 12's with the stock injection, spark and electronics. you can only get there with mpi. i am fortunate to have a good job to buy the eip cannon manifold from them, not to mention it took 6 months to actually get it in my hands

because the only build to order. i run a tec II (at the time I didn't know about the sds system) and only then was i able to run the cam and do the head work i wanted

to do in order to achieve my goal. third mitsu turbos arent going to get you the consistent # you want at the track, so i went with a garret after my 17c bit the dust after a journal bearing failure. mitsu turbo's are unreliable. fourth unfortunately that is no aftermarket for the starion. basically everything i did was a custom job. (intercooler, hard pipes, cam, exhaust manifold, exhaust, head work. there are little or no bolt on, over the counter parts for the quest, except tep POS parts, poor quality and mucho $ not to mention steve is a a$$hole when it comes to customer service.

so what i am saying that its hard to get the quest to the performance levels that you would normally spend a third if you were building a dsm project. i recently bought a 91 gsx for $1200 and i hate to say this, i truly wasted my $ on the quest.

but i love the quest and will never part with her, its now part of my personality.

but for best bang for the buck. the 4g63 DOES BEAT THE G54B hands down.

its just boils down that mitsubishi didn;t put the research and development into the starion than what was put into the dsm's :'(

don't bash me my fellow questers, trust me quests rule but its going to take alot of work to make them perform.

paul

86 tsi

91 gsx.

hey guys

i see all the arguements posted here and there are truths and falses to both claims.

weather a g54b or a 4g63 is the better motor?

here are some cold hard facts!!

i live in nyc and have had my 86 quest since 1994 when i bought it for 3k. and now i see no quests on the road and plenty of dsm and honda's etc.

and only until this summer after dumping 15k into the car, can i actually say and prove that my 86 does a 12.7 @ 129 mph, which was done at e-town on 11/3/02

at the import vs domestic shootout.

and it was not an easy road. g54b are hard to make them rev, you have to understand that its a motor designed for a truck and its stroked for low end touque.

my machine shot went thru 5 different combinations or bore x stroke to finally get the proper combination. and i still only have a redline of 7500. second you will never get a starion into the 12's with the stock injection, spark and electronics. you can only get there with mpi. i am fortunate to have a good job to buy the eip cannon manifold from them, not to mention it took 6 months to actually get it in my hands

because the only build to order. i run a tec II (at the time I didn't know about the sds system) and only then was i able to run the cam and do the head work i wanted

to do in order to achieve my goal. third mitsu turbos arent going to get you the consistent # you want at the track, so i went with a garret after my 17c bit the dust after a journal bearing failure. mitsu turbo's are unreliable. fourth unfortunately that is no aftermarket for the starion. basically everything i did was a custom job. (intercooler, hard pipes, cam, exhaust manifold, exhaust, head work. there are little or no bolt on, over the counter parts for the quest, except tep POS parts, poor quality and mucho $ not to mention steve is a a$$hole when it comes to customer service.

so what i am saying that its hard to get the quest to the performance levels that you would normally spend a third if you were building a dsm project. i recently bought a 91 gsx for $1200 and i hate to say this, i truly wasted my $ on the quest.

but i love the quest and will never part with her, its now part of my personality.

but for best bang for the buck. the 4g63 DOES BEAT THE G54B hands down.

its just boils down that mitsubishi didn;t put the research and development into the starion than what was put into the dsm's :'(

don't bash me my fellow questers, trust me quests rule but its going to take alot of work to make them perform.

paul

86 tsi

91 gsx.

I agree with many of your points, especially going with the Garrett turbo, but I think reving to 7500 is immaterial and really shouldn't count as a strike against the motor.

As long as a motor (any motor) is making good power up top it does not necessarily need to rev to the high heavens to deem good ET's.

Without a doubt, the 4g63 has the edge on the G54B. DOHC and MPI right from the get go. That and lots of aftermarket support are the biggest plus the 4g63 has right from the start.

It does take some $$ to get the G54B to where you want it. A lot of the cost incurred is just bringing the motor up to modern standards...MPI and the like.

Once the G54B is apples and apples with the 4g63 I think they have very similiar potential.

Also what Turbo are you running? TO4B?

Care to elaborate on your bore and stroke recipe?

i have seen your car too on rt 107. sometimes parked out in front of that

window tinting place, do you work there? next time i pass by i'll stop in and chat. 8)

in the spring you should down down to the nyc starquest meet that i'll probably arrange in april on francis lewis blvd.

paul

86 tsi 12.74

91 gsx, next project car.

>>"does a 12.7 @ 129 mph

You're kiddin' with that 129mph trap are you ???? Thats NO 12sec car

Look at the dsm times posted above in this thread.

what kinda 60ft on that run ?

>>"at the time I didn't know about the sds..."

Choices will make or break a project.... it's all about being informed. Lack of information will cost you waste more money than anything

I disagree with some of what u may say is fact..

>>"second you will never get a starion into the 12's with the stock injection, spark and electronics.

>>"mitsu turbo's are unreliable"

and on this...

>>"a redline of 7500..."

Hint; GNs don't look to rpm, run 10s on stock motor / tranny + boltons. ....outperforming many hi revving 4valve v6s.  

But its all good. I mod 'em both. Not a flame btw

peace

mph and trap speeds dont have to be the same its all about gearing, hooking up, and shift points    my stock 86 mustang ran 14.9@93 but i have seen talons run 14.1 @93 and i have also seen cars run 16.7 at 96      so it all depends      

The G54B is the red headed step child, and by the way the red car pic in Modified is my car, and it will be back in the mag come next DSM shootout, except I will be beating some of the DSM's there. I work at a DSM performance shop and get sick of them knocking the G54B. I am around the ignorance all the time. Such fools. Plebani is a 4g63 nut, and has made some fast cars. He puts a 4g63 in everything frmo a porsche to a mighty max. Our shop is also friends with John Sheppard who all you dsmer's love and cherish. Hes a really nice guy to talk to, and doesn't knock the G54B.

I can't believe these couple of fools come onto our boards spouting off with the ignorance i have just read through. Maybe if I posted a 10page list of conquests in the 12's it would be acceptable. Yeah, so many starquests to go around and do that *hint of sarcasm* , 4:1 ratio dsm to conquest.......not in a million years.

Sakuras car has the full article in NOV issue of Modified. Yeah hes runing mid 8's with no Nitrous yet. yeah, holy s*** thats fast. Should be 7's next season with the juice. That poor team barely has enough sponsors to race with, thats ashame. G54B just needs some love.

I just had to get that s*** off my back, since I hear it every day at work with the ignorant fools in there. DSM's are bad, for many reasons, obviously known (buscar plebani shepard) but by no means is the old g54b lacking potential, its just hidden a little more.

Also note, With my setup and STOCK INJECTORS i got 248hp 319 tq...just as a baseline for tuning my car.  I beat DSM's in street races all the time, especially once we hit 3rd gear.

Like Boosted mentioned, Torque is very deceiving. Thats how the G54B makes up for 7500rpm redline. No other 4cyclinder has those torque #'s.

Enough trash talk, I'm unleashing my car after the rebuild this winter, at the DSM shootout. Internals done, 18G or bigger, SDS and MPI. Let the ET's do the talking.

Let mitsu's be mitsu's

peace,

Kevin

PREECH ON KEVIN!!! ;D         i know ill be at the import wars at NE dragway this summer     hehehe              tourque rules         i forgot to mention that about the g54b it does produce very impressive tourque numbers

• 3 weeks later...
the dsm is a heck of a platform. no doubt about it, they good cars. fast an simple to work on. but, give the devil his due the 2.6 has been kicking a** an taking names longer than some of you have been alive. it was a helluva engine then an its still a helluva engine now. my girlfriend bought her first conquest. at the local street races she beat 9 out of the 10 dsms present an all of the hondas. there would have been more but everyone else wimped out. the kicker is her 88 is stock and shes never raced a 5 spd in her life. i have respect for the dsm an the 2l. i'm helping a friend buid a 90 talon awd.  2.6 an 2.0 both bring alot to the mitsu table. and atleast they are not damn hondas.

Wierd I remember Danzig and he was running hyper-U's in his engine and he liked them.  He also had the t3/t4 that TEP sells.  He was a great addition to these boards and I miss him.

BuGG

yeah me too...an i havent seen you around much either, what have you been up too.  Its nothing like it used to be.

I would have never thought that this would have turned into a bashing...oh well,..

I like how they dilvered my car here, in a box.  An some union guy put the peices together.  I guess, it must have taken awhile.  An the eclipse, vs, starion bit.  Want to run 12's.  then run them.  Either bolt the stuff on,. an learn how to weld.  Or find good people, that have already made the trip.  Even an awd talon, or what not..  if it runs 12's.  it darn sure wasnt out of the boat an on the track.  It takes money, time, an alot of learning.  Its all about, tuning, an combinations.  An the open mind thing,  the talon has mpi,. were not redoing the wheel.  we are just making it better.  In my opion, the car doesnt make the person.  the person makes the car.

"My opion wasnt ment to rub people the wrong way,  but a few posts did me.  Dont come to a starquest board.  An start trouble, respect goes both ways.  Now go home, where you belong".  An save that, crape for your own boards.

Im sorry to say this is sad.  Ive been on this board for under 2 months now and I love the way we all help.  I like the starion because they are rare, not because they are the fastest thing out there. I just yesterday put my 84 on the road and got plenty of looks.  Ive never seen another flatsider and only about 3 widebodies. The fact the DSM guys bash us and we bash them is just retarded, are you guys even listening to yourselves.  All SVO wanted to know was how to put "his car" in to the 12 sec mark. and this got in to a shouting match over better motors.  Newer cars have the advantage of technology, no doubt but thats no reason for bashing older cars and what we want to do with them.  How many DSMs have you seen with a starquest intercooler on them?  Its just like us using 1gmas and bov's. who cares.

SVO, i reccomend you do what you can to your car and take it to your local track and see where it gets you.  The local 1/8th mile here is $15 every friday night for unlimited runs.  I say upgraded exhaust and intake will be your best mods.  Do some research first before you get crazy.  Im working on a custom MPI for my car and i found a stand alone fuel system for $100(you have to build it) if you want info email me, shift1313@aol.com because i dont want to post and then get, TECII is the best or SDS is way better.  I dont need that crap, thats not what were here for.  Just remember every mod you do will probobly need another mod to work better, ie, turbo, bigger exhaust, MPI bigger throttle body.  I think with research and if you have the ability some custom fabrication you can get in the 12s.  Im trying to do it with a lot of custom stuff to see what works fur under $1000.  So far with exhaust, intercooler, MPI in progress and megasquirt including price of the car(free) im in the hole $250(including tune up).  In my mind the only thing i want, for saftey measure is piston/rings, and probobly a cam(springs, 3 angle, yada yada yada).  So if you scan the boards and find good deals you can do it with little money.  good luck and keep us updated on your progress.  

Thanks to all you guys who responded to the question...

I've made my decission to save lot's of money and only add a few more ponies and speaking of ponies....I'll post the Svo's Dyno in about 2 mos.  shooting for 375 to the floor; I could pull 400 or slightly higher if I run 30 lbs. of boost but don't want to, then I'll hit the track on stock tires and see what I pull.  

greatest thing about it.....cost is about 3K