GM assembly line pay??

Starwolf

it really made me ill when those UAW guys were picketing on strike. assembly line workers who make 40 bucks an hour want more money... for what? sitting down and pushing a button all day? lame. skilled trade is a different story all together, but those other guys get on my nerves.

I agree to a point... but its hard for someone down here to comment on whats going on up there. It is way more expensive to live in the north and north east then it is for us in the south.

Average house in my area... 2500 sq ft $300,000. Price of my sister in laws condo in NJ 750 sq ft $410,000 and she paid almost 100,000 less than all of her nieghbors.

I agree to a point... but its hard for someone down here to comment on whats going on up there. It is way more expensive to live in the north and north east then it is for us in the south.

Average house in my area... 2500 sq ft $300,000. Price of my sister in laws condo in NJ 750 sq ft $410,000 and she paid almost 100,000 less than all of her nieghbors.

Michigan is cheap so thats not the answer.

nope.... but still pretty expensive for what you get. My house would cost half of what I payed for it if it was in the south.

I blame high property costs in MI on the UAW as well. And women too... ;)

This is the only place that a forklift driver can own a quarter million dollar house, a Z06 for him and a Escalade for his wife, plus 4 DD's and put 2 kids through college at UofM.

Edited by Sully

nope.... but still pretty expensive for what you get. My house would cost half of what I payed for it if it was in the south.

Definitely true. Having moved from MI to AL, I can tell you for a fact that you can get way more for your money. It's not just the price of the house, it's the property taxes (25% here what I was paying in MI), insurance, etc.

I blame high property costs in MI on the UAW as well. And women too... ;)

This is the only place that a forklift driver can own a quarter million dollar house, a Z06 for him and a Escalade for his wife, plus 4 DD's and put 2 kids through college at UofM.

I don't know, I work with some old Chrysler union types, and they got those bases covered (there's a guy I work with had three now has two of the nicest Challengers I ever saw...).

dc

I have mixed feelings about the UAW.... i think they single handily killed the marketability of the US manufacturers.

But i also think about loyalty.. ive learned in my life that there is nothing better than working for or with someone that is loyal to both you and the company. I can tell you from experience that none of those guys with the nice houses and cars and kids in college got there from going from job to job. That forklift driver agreed to come to work everyday he was supposed to and probably everyday he was "called in" because someone else was sick for 30 + years, to me that in itself is worth every penny he was paid. So once again, the focus shouldnt be on the worker.

The retirement plans are really how the UAW has killed the industry not the guys on the clock no matter what they are being paid.

My work history is the one big reason i got the job i have now. And this is a 6 figure income in the first full year of employement here with zero worries about being laid off. Ive had 4 real jobs in my entire life with little to no gaps of unemployment between them.( this includes highschool).

I see it the total opposite. work for us for 30+ years and we'll make sure your comfortable the rest of your life for your good service through those 30 years.

Not, here's bucu bucks as a reward for coming in and doing your job like your supposed to. Just to say thanks for doing your job.

Thats like dudes that think they deserve a medal for being a good father.... thats your job.. deal with it. If you do a good job raising your kids, they'll be there for you when you can't wipe your own a** or feed yourself.

UAW is greedy.. they want more money for less work and still get they're pension.. it should be one or the other. I think they are doing this now.

My cousin was looking into working at the Lake Orion plant where they make the Malibu. He was saying that they have 2 options for pay and benefits. 1. was lower pay w/ pension the other was higher wage and no pension. Medical benefits for both.

Edited by Sully

I think that's a reasonable rate, but I think it's what toyota pays. I think it came out in the hearings in DC that their employees are averaging over $80/hour and the CEO makes like $1700/hour.

US autoworkers get paid an average of $20/hr then Toyota pays thier workers. They can make $80/hr because of the contract with UAW.

On Saturdays, they get paid double time. And on Sunday they get paid triple time. Most would take off Thur. and Fri. Then work the weekends. And get paid boat-loads.

Many have critized GM as being a great health care insurance company, that just happen to produce cars.

The arguement that the workers get paid too much goes directly against the arguement about CEO's get paid to much compared to the workers. My industry is one of the few where the guys in the field are making as much as the guys in the big offices or at least a reasonable percentage less.

Heres my point really... regardless what industry you work in retirement can be one of two things. It can be based on your sound investments and patience or it can be based in the ability for the company you worked for to do "good" business(basing your retirement in trusting a company is foolish in my opinion).

It really doesn't matter what the auto workers get paid, If the companies they work for continue to produce overpriced junk that no one wants to buy, they will be out of a job..... Sooner or later. I use to buy strictly American made cars until the quality went to hell. I now own a Toyota, Nissan, Honda and my Mitsubishi Starion. Do I have a problem with the quality of any of the vehicles I own now??? NO.... Would I buy a new American made car or truck????.... HELL NO.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

most of the hourly wages i see post'd are pipe dreams, come down south and you'l find that out,,

this is one of the reasons the cost of liveing is so out of whack in this country , the same work has such a wide wage discrepincy depending on where in the country your locate'd

some up north think they have to have $90 k a yr and the same job in the south pays $35k or less and dam near NO benifets

most of the hourly wages i see post'd are pipe dreams, come down south and you'l find that out,,

this is one of the reasons the cost of liveing is so out of whack in this country , the same work has such a wide wage discrepincy depending on where in the country your locate'd

some up north think they have to have $90 k a yr and the same job in the south pays $35k or less and dam near NO benifets

With the exception of nuclear Shelby... i make a great living in the industry but i work for a "low cost energy producer" the nuclear instrument and control techs in florida make at least 33 percent more than we do up here on average.

Did you see that stupid woman on CNN the other night who had started a web based business and sold it 3 years later for $23 million?

After taxes she got like $10million but her sob story was that she couldn't move into Manhattan because 1200sq/ft condos over there were $4million dollars. She was still working, not jet setting like she thought she would and she had not moved out of her craptastic apartment she owned when she sold the business.

And the story was about how $10million doesn't make you rich any more.

I was like, W T eff? Get the hell out of New York lady. Take your $10million to Fort Worth Texas or just about any other town in America and live like a King. People kill me.

Did you see that stupid woman on CNN the other night who had started a web based business and sold it 3 years later for $23 million?

After taxes she got like $10million but her sob story was that she couldn't move into Manhattan because 1200sq/ft condos over there were $4million dollars. She was still working, not jet setting like she thought she would and she had not moved out of her craptastic apartment she owned when she sold the business.

And the story was about how $10million doesn't make you rich any more.

I was like, W T eff? Get the hell out of New York lady. Take your $10million to Fort Worth Texas or just about any other town in America and live like a King. People kill me.

Yeah I saw that. Atleast she is realistic about how fast she could blow through it all in no time, like those lotto winners who are broke in 5 years. I thought it was funny how people who were mega rich were giving her advice like "your gonna need a golfstream" and what not, and shes all, "theirs no way I can afford that". I think her point was every one thinks that she has more money than she can spend, and she realised, she buys a house and stuff and it could easily be gone before shes at retirement age. But your right, move away from manhatten and the money would go a lot further.

Back to the auto workers. Remember, one reason for the inflated wage numbers is because of the health care and how you calculate future costs. Health care costs have skyrocketed and thats not the workers nor the managments fault.

Also I dont know of any union strikes in the last decade or so, that were to get more. Lately these strikes were to keep from loosing pay and/or benefits, while the cost of living and CEO's pay goes up.

Doesnt matter how little they pay their workers, if nobodies buying cars they will be loosing money. Google "long beach sea of cars" or see this http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/11/19/business/19ports.php