Stock alarm going off, key not disaraming.

Shiro Akuma

I had to get a ETACS for it a few months back cause the wipers wouldn't shut off. It fixed the wipers but now the alarm works but not like it should. It sets regardless if the hood or hatch is open and without me holding the handle up when closing the door. Using the key to unlock the door isn't disarming it. Neither is starting the car disarming it, it continues to blare. Only way it shuts up is after it goes through it's 3 minute cycle, that or disconnecting the battery.

So, do I need another ETACS or am I the only one that thinks it's insane that every sensor for the alarm could've gone bad? Or is there a way I can disable the alram all together?

Yeah, it's an '89, didn't know that about the '89. And I can't try the passenger and hatch. I still haven't gotten around to getting a key made for'em since I got the car. Put it off since I haven't needed it. Guess now I've got a pretty good reason to. But the thing that really bothers me is even the starting the car doesn't shut it off. And I could've swore I read in the serveice manuals that should turn it off. Edited by Shiro Akuma

Unplug the battery if all else fails.

It gets annoying after so many years. To the point to where I just dont lock my doors half the time,a dn when I do, I unplug the battery. 2 years later still haven't tracked down both that and the battery drain issue.

I just need a battery killswitch...

I locked my keys in the car and had to have it slim-jimmed open. After that, if I lock the door with the switch then the ETACs will fire when I open the door and I have been unable to reset it. A few months ago I posted about it and Mike C. posted a good reply:

"The factory alarm should properly disarm by unlocking EITHER door with the key. If you can't unlock the passenger door and then open either door without the alarm tripping then BOTH doors need to be opened up to have those magnetic reed switches re-installed.

In the meantime... don't ARM the alarm at all! The alarm arms when you use the interior lock lever to lock the doors, then close the door while holding the exterior handle up. If you just close the doors and then use the KEY to lock them the alarm does NOT ARM. So you should be able to unlock and drive away without the 4th-of-July celebration.

mike c."