VQ35HR Nissan 350z engine into Starion?????

SlideWAYS 87 ESI-R

So my neighbor just picked up a complete VQ35HR nissan motor out of a 350z with 8k on it. 6 speed manual trany is there along with the computer and harness as well.

What I need to know is if this engine is worth thinking about putting in my Starion since it doesn't apear anyone's even thought of this as an option.

Is the engine too BIG for the engine bay of the starion?

Are their any SPEC's on the starion engine bay??

This is just a dream at the moment but I wanted to know if anyone might have some thoughts to add???

thanks

Esteban

v8s arent as wide as v6s usually... the issues on fit are the frame rails and steering gear.. guys that have done a turbo buick v-6 and run headers forward dont have as many issues, run a - try and run a s/c'd or NA v6 with the headers running back and youll run into issues.. keep this im mind....

that motor would BE TOTALLY WORTH putting into a quest!!! while its out, measure and take pics of everything you can- measure front to back, top to bottom, and measure width every 4-6" in height... with manifolds on... would be a great swap reference

Edited by j-hanson

v8s arent as wide as v6s usually... the issues on fit are the frame rails and steering gear.. guys that have done a turbo buick v-6 and run headers forward dont have as many issues, run a - try and run a s/c'd or NA v6 with the headers running back and youll run into issues.. keep this im mind....

that motor would BE TOTALLY WORTH putting into a quest!!! while its out, measure and take pics of everything you can- measure front to back, top to bottom, and measure width every 4-6" in height... with manifolds on... would be a great swap reference

YEAH that would be awesome!!! I wanna put my TT VG30 in a quest but ive run outta cars to swap motors in LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, for what this is worth ...

I measured the width of a VQ40DE in an '08 XTerra at the shop today [getting a CNG conversion], and measured the width between shock towers on my Starion.

Looks to be that there's about 3.5" on either side from the furthest point out on the cylinder heads, plenty of space for a T28 without hitting the frame rails or the steering box, just got to get a touch creative on the driver's side.

Also, as an option, since the VQ line of Nissan engines is so globalized - All VQs share the same bellhousing pattern, and flywheel bolt pattern, regardless of A/T or M/T. You could theoretically build the VQ40 with high-comp pistons, make it a stout all-motor contender, then bolt it to a Z33 6MT and have a good time.

Some specs on the VQ40:

3,954 cc 4.0 liters V 6 front engine with 95.5 mm bore, 92.0 mm stroke, 9.7 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder

Power: 195 kW , 261 HP SAE @ 5,600 rpm; 281 ft lb , 381 Nm @ 4,000 rpm; redline 6,600 rpm

• 2 weeks later...