4G63 Swap Questions

Lusion972

Ok people, I know some of you may say. Go to projectzerog...I did and his walk through all though helpful does not fully explain everything my little brain has to ask.

First off...the 4g63 from the D50/MM is a wideblock which will bolt up to the stock tranny which is what I want because I don't want to change trannys and have a custom drive shaft and all that jazz. I have found a complete 4g63 from a D50/MM for a very low price and will buy it if I feel that this task will be a simple one to over come.

here are my questions.

The 4g63 from these trucks are a SOHC, correct?

If so, I could swap a DOHC from a 1G eclipse and it work, correct?

Would there be any modding required to the head or block to fit the DOHC?

Ok, now that we got that out the way lets talk electrical.

Since the block is from a D50/MM and the head is from 1g Eclipse will the wiring harness/ECU from the 1G eclipse work when adapted to the conquest harness? If no, does that mean I have to run a standalone? If the answer is then do not reply to the further questions because I refuse to go standalone at this time.

Ok, now on to fabrication.

How much fabrication is involved with this install?

Is there an install thread that I have missed that gives picture by picture installation and materials/parts necessary to complete the install and have it reliable as a daily drive if needed?

I hope I haven't asked to much but I need to make up my mind in the direction I want to go in a very short time.

not all mm d50 are wide blocks only certain years. i dont know wich becuase i went with a narrow block. there is alot of little things to fab up then the wiring. all very do able. first time around its hard second is easier.

the dohc head will fit on the sohc block there are changes that go with the head.

I have gone there Mainstream and it doesnt answer my questions. All those guys are either using g64 wide and narrowblocks or 4g63 narrowblocks. I have a 4g63 wideblock sohc that I need to convert over to a dohc.

And this is why I may not due the swap because people are answering questions I already have answers too. I need my questions answered. Not to sound like a prick but how does anyone get anything accomplished if they never get their questions answered. I am not one for trial and error, I gather all the necessary information so that it can and will be done correctly the first time. If so many people have done this swap why isn't their a FAQ/Walk through on the install procedures?

Ok people, I know some of you may say. Go to projectzerog...I did and his walk through all though helpful does not fully explain everything my little brain has to ask.

First off...the 4g63 from the D50/MM is a wideblock which will bolt up to the stock tranny which is what I want because I don't want to change trannys and have a custom drive shaft and all that jazz. I have found a complete 4g63 from a D50/MM for a very low price and will buy it if I feel that this task will be a simple one to over come.

here are my questions.

The 4g63 from these trucks are a SOHC, correct? Yes, as far as I know, all were single cam

If so, I could swap a DOHC from a 1G eclipse and it work, correct?yes, the head itself bolts right up. BUT, you will have to use an oil pump and everything else off the front of the engine from a dual cam engine

Would there be any modding required to the head or block to fit the DOHC?NO, not "modding" at all, unless you want to run the coolant hose off the "front" of the head, instead of the "back," where it is on a stock fwd

Ok, now that we got that out the way lets talk electrical.

Since the block is from a D50/MM and the head is from 1g Eclipse will the wiring harness/ECU from the 1G eclipse work when adapted to the conquest harness? If no, does that mean I have to run a standalone? If the answer is then do not reply to the further questions because I refuse to go standalone at this time. Yes, the 1g eclipse harness will work with the starquest harness, just a few splices and lengthening of some wires. DJ has a very good writeup about that on projectzerog under wiring, def worth a reread.....

Ok, now on to fabrication.

How much fabrication is involved with this install? It really all depends on how you want to do it. It is NOT a bolt in affair by any means, some degree of fab work WILL be needed, whether this is on the firewall to make room for the t-stat housing, on the front of the head to run the t-stat there, or moving the engine forward..... along with modding the intake, same as with a magna on the g54b, and figuring out how you want to do the turbo....

Is there an install thread that I have missed that gives picture by picture installation and materials/parts necessary to complete the install and have it reliable as a daily drive if needed? Not that I've been able to find, and I really believe that it is due to the amount of variables invloved, i.e. the coolant issue above, what to do about the turbo, how to run the intercooler pipes, etc......

I hope I haven't asked to much but I need to make up my mind in the direction I want to go in a very short time.

I have gone there Mainstream and it doesnt answer my questions. All those guys are either using g64 wide and narrowblocks or 4g63 narrowblocks. I have a 4g63 wideblock sohc that I need to convert over to a dohc.

Remove all components from the eclipse motor.

Install all components into bare block of MM/D50 EXCEPT the main bearing caps, oil pan, and oil pickup tube.

I have a 4g63 wideblock as well and have posted all about it on the Projectzerog website as well as here. It's buried a few years back but it is there.

4g63 and 4g64 are the same one just has a taller deck hieght and a longer stroke crank. they even share the same pistons and rods. even wide to narrow they use the same parts. all your question can be answered on zerog concerning drivetrain.

Pistons are larger diameter in the 4G64.

Kane

• 4 months later...
woops i guess im late but, i did the swap the way you want to do it lusion (stock tranny and wide 2.0) so if im not too late, just pm me if you have questions and ill try to answer as best i can

David

Hey I also have a chance at a very cheap complete 1g turbo talon..If you have time ofcourse I think a complete write up would be awesome. I know its a lot to ask but if you have the time. That would rock...

Hey I also have a chance at a very cheap complete 1g turbo talon..If you have time ofcourse I think a complete write up would be awesome. I know its a lot to ask but if you have the time. That would rock...

most of my write ups/ posts w/ pics are on projectzerog

just do a search on idriftnaked, although other guys there have most answers too.

if you want to run the front water neck (what i did) then i recomend using smaller water pump pulley to clear the neck (the stock dsm pulley is too big and will hit on the front outlet pipe)

i have a post regarding that issue and what i did to make it work.

i also posted on what i did for my turbo and water lines.

another one is an issue i had with p.s. (my block didnt have the 4 p.s. bracket mounting holes), so keep your eye out on that detail if your going wideblock and want to keep p.s. or don't mind relocating a custom bracket on the opposite side.

i suggest you jot down what you want starting from biggest to smallest things. wide block w/ stock tranny or stock dsm narrow block w/ truck tranny? rear water outlet (behind head) on stock location, or front custom outlet or pipe? etc. etc. it will save you time and headaches if you plan ahead and stick with it.

ask questions when you need to, there is bound to be atleast 1 person with the answer that you need.

david

Here's the quick way to his posts with no searching!!

Water lines/Oil lines + tips on wastegate for rotated turbo:

http://www.projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1073

Water pump pulley for front exit:

http://www.projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1065

-Robert

Here's the quick way to his posts with no searching!!

Water lines/Oil lines + tips on wastegate for rotated turbo:

http://www.projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1073

Water pump pulley for front exit:

http://www.projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1065

-Robert

thanks for posting this!

makes it easier for everyone

David

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Wow this is actually a pretty nice thread. Many of my questions are answered after searching for quite some time online. Great post guys. Hopefully I can get a 4g64/4g63 swap going fairly soon. Time to start gathering parts.