WANT TO PULL THE ENGINE

sicksmithnewjersey

i have an idea of what to do when pulling the engine. i think i broke an oil pump chain, but i want to rebuild the engine anyways.

is there any tips or steps to make this less of a problem?

thanks starquest clubbers,

steve

Factory service manual at starquestgarage.com

Dad

i just did mine a few weeks ago.. make sure you remove the shifter and all the plugs/sensors from the tranny.. i f'ed up my reverse sensor pulling mine..

I left the tranny in my car when I pulled the engine.

Dad

I left the tranny in my car when I pulled the engine.

Dad

^^^^^^^Me too. Easiest way to do it. Trying to mount a tranny from under the car while someone wiggles the engine from above sucks.

Edited by marso

I too left the tranny in the car, best way to do it. I had a power steering pump line on I forgot about. Muffed that thing up pretty good.... Very tight fit I had to crawl under the car and pry on each dogear with a pry bar inching (More like MM'ing) out verrry slowly. It came out though. I usually (Since im a** backwards) Start by taking out all the transmission bolts that are connected to the engine first, move on up to take off all the hoses and electrical connectors (Dont forget the exhaust) , then unbolt the motor mounts.

I pulled transmission and engine all together. Putting tranny mount on wasn't that hard. The hardest part was getting the engine and tranny back in, because the car needs to be high enough so that you can tip the motor all the way back without the tranny hitting the ground and then slowly level it while you slide it in. Tough when you don' t have high rafters in your garage. Also, putting the shifter seal back on was a pain, and my bolts were all seized holding that seal on so they all broke.

As far as taking the engine out goes...take the air cleaner and the piping going to the turbo off. Unbolt the motor mounts (and tranny mounts if taking tranny with it). Unhook all of your wires where they hook to the engine (mark if you think you'll need to, all are kinda fit to certain lengths so they can only go to one place). Unhook your throttle cable. Unhook your oil lines (I suggest draining the tranny and engine of oil, because it will drain out when tilting). Unbolt the driveshaft if taking tranny with it. Unhook fuel lines and vacuum lines (mark if needed). Unhook a couple wires from tranny if pulling that with it. Take your center console piece out that goes around the shifter. Take your shifter knob off so that you don't damage it (i think you can take the whole shaft off,don't know how though). Unbolt the rubber boot that goes around the opening. I think that's all that needs to be unhooked, I pulled it a year ago, so don't remember. Unbolt your radiator and take that out so that it doesn't get damaged. When you're sure every thing's disconnected, put a thin board in front of the engine so that you don't damage the other radiator (can't think off the top of my head what it's for). I put a 2x4 across my car also so that if I dragged the engine across it didn't do any damage. Then hook your cherry picker up and start pulling the engine...tilt as needed to free up the transmission.

If I missed anything, I apologize. The manual is probably your best bet though.

best advice i can give you is learn by pulling the engine, leave trans in car,, but do not do the rebuilding your self ,it's oviousely beyound you experiance level at this point

not sure if it's still there but a write up on pulling the engine use'd to be in the FAQ's

Best method I have found for disconnecting things.

Start on one side of the car (i start on the right (passenger) side). Unhook exhaust, Oil cooler lines, remove ps pump from bracket (pull to the side) (you should loosen the hard ps line), remove the hard pipes, radiator, electrical connections, coolant lines, fuel lines. If you start on one side and work your way 'around the bay' you can stay more organized. Then you can hook your chain to the motor, remove the starter, slave cylinder and last but not least, motor mounts (I leave the mount attached to the block, and remove the two 14mm bolts that bolt the mount to the cross member). I can have a motor out in under an hour (practice makes you quick).

• 2 years later...

best advice i can give you is learn by pulling the engine, leave trans in car,, but do not do the rebuilding your self ,it's oviousely beyound you experiance level at this point

not sure if it's still there but a write up on pulling the engine use'd to be in the FAQ's

I wouldn't say that its beyond his experience level. Everyone has to start somewhere. With my old neon, I rebuilt a 2.4 with srt internals, swapped it in, turbo'd, megasquirt all by myself and never did anything close to it. I recently rebuilt the g54b with wiesco's.., modded a 16g and now in the process of hooking up MS.

It just takes some mechanical skill and a bunch of research. Read the fsm and any how to's you find online. Don't skimp out on machine work. It might be expensive but it's something that needs to be done. How ever much money you budget for plan an additional couple hundred and plan on some extra time for things that might not go right.

Look at the service manual like "DaD" said.

Tear down the block and access the damage. Take measurments to make sure you have a good crank and block before you spend money on rebuild parts. Here is a helpful link from "Indiana's" site on "Block Prep" and inspection.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/block_prep.htm

I would add one more thing to the excellent advice above. Take off the front nose body panel between the head lights. You'd be surprised at how many of those panels are screwed up because the engine hit it as it's being removed. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot