New Air Dam install

psu_Crash

Hello All!

So I just got my new air dam from 101 and got SS brackets from another member. I went to put it all on and either I don't know what I am doing or I am missing something. The manual doesn't really show very well at all. The 2 long flat brackets that go along the top front don't seem to have anything to connect to on mycar. Also not sure how the S shaped brackets go on. My car has never had the stock air dam on it since I owned it. Someone fabbed up a supra front end and molded it all on. So I am afraid they tossed parts I need for this install. Anyone have some pictures of how this all goes together? I thought I remember reading a post a while ago about a large metal plate under/behind the stock bumper that this all hooks too. Any help is greatly appeciated! Thanks!

Edited by psu_Crash

i dont have a widebody but i assume they mount the same. there were brackets that bolted to the steel bumper and came down to hold the lower part of the air dam. this same bracket also held the black plastic air divertor piece. the top of the air dam should just screw right into the bumper i would think. if nobody gets back to you i can take pics of my flatty if you like.

This is a good post as i just purchased an air dam and expect it sometime this week....im wondering how to install it and what i need to put it on...my car hasnt had a air dam since ive owned it also.....

From Mike_C:

There are two metal bars, one on each end of the bumper, with three studs that poke down into the air dam. You have to remove the bumper cover to get to this stuff. Most of the time the bars are nothing but rust and the nuts are frozen tight... and will just snap the studs when you try to remove them.

If you crawl under the car, with the engine splash shield removed, you'll see a whole slew of small bolts in the rear edge of the bumper cover - these and similar ones along the top edge hold it to the main bumper steel. Which usually is a rustball as well due to a Mitsu design flaw. Plan on taking the whole thing off the car. Start by removing the skinny plastic grill, side marker lights, license plate holder, complete fog lamp assemblies, the header panel (bodywork between the headlights), and any wires you see going to/from the bumper area. Then look straight down, just inboard of each headlight, and you'll see frame rails with a few big bolts - 2 per side - holding the bumper on. Remove the 2 bolts closest to the bumper and just loosen the other two, then the bumper will slide forward off the car. You'll have to gently pry the rear part of the bumper (by the front tires) to clear the bracket they clip over; the front part of this bracket "grabs" the bumper cover in a slot - it'll let go as you slide the whole bumper forwards.

Inside you'll find a big hunk of foam. This is the design flaw - notice the bumper cover has nice slots for water drainage but this moronic foam blocks them! Instead it channels water from the fog lamp openings to the main bumper beam and holds it there... causing the beam to rust away. I cut a bevel along the back edge, plus a few water channels that lined up with the drain slots, in my car to help prevent this. I also added LOTS of paint to the bumper beam and a few layers of spray-on rubber undercoating like stuff to help seal it. And I sealed the back side of the foam as well.

As for replacing those rusted-out air dam support bars (you'll see what I mean once you have the bumper cover off) there are several alternatives:

1. Buy new metal bits from the dealer. They're rather expensive for what they are; something like 70 bucks per side!

2. Any decent metal shop ought to be able to weld up a set for you for a few bucks.

3. Plain old bolts (preferably something stainless or galvanized so they won't rust) along with big old washers to spread the load out should work just as well. Get really big washers - as big as you can find that still have a small (under quarter inch) bolt hole in them. Use a grinder or hacksaw to slice 2 chunks off each one so they are paperclip shaped - not round anymore. This way they'll act like the factory bars.

mike c.

I never did a upgrade either until I did mine (1987 to 1988/89) Heres the best information I can give you, its the same instructions I followed to remove the old one and install the new upgraded one. 1987 FSM page 23-31 and 23-73.

So the air dam support bars with 3 studs on them come down through the bumper cover right? If so I am in trouble. My bumper cover has apparently been cut back on the under side. There is only about a qarter inch lip for the air dam to butt up against. Hopefully I can get enough of it between the flat bar to hold ... I'll take some pics and show you what I mean.

That's ashame. Did the previous owner trim the bumper cover or was it torn off?

It would take quite a bit of work, but you could probably drill some holes in the bottom of the bumper frame and bolt the brackets there to hang the air dam. That's assuming the bumper isn't rusted out...