Chinese Drift Starion, more build and on-track pics

88TSI_Rob

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i found it interesting how they ran the air filter in some pics and in some pics it has a pipe that appears to be pulling air from the interior. i winder if they felt like it was enough temp diff. in the interior versus piping it to the fender or something of the sort.

They did a good job getting it on the race track for competition, and that by itself is good enough for me...Plus an EVO conversion? SICK...

DID someone say they are not a fan of chinese? DUDE look at the stuff you own...dont tell me that at least 80% of your belongings have been made in china...DONT say I aint a fan...YOU AINT GOT NO CHOICE! LOL

OH on the oil cooler, in order for it to work properly it has to have AIR FLOWING THRU THE FINS. There might be air getting to it but not getting thru it to be efficient.

Cool turbo setup...It make sense....for a car that is always getting sidways and constantly jerking back and forth---let me give u an example why its good for drift setups: Take your ordinary household fan, the one that stands upright, and put it on high speed and try to swivel it left and right Real Fast...you will feel a force that is exerted on the fan to keep its REVs, but hold it just like the turbo mounted in this car and then you will see there will be no force on the fan because you are swiveling the fan with respect to its axis of rotation unlike when its upright and you are actually swiveling it exactly opposite of its axis of rotation. I hope you can picture/imagine what I am trying to say.....

dude, someone built a pro drifter out of a Starion. that is the coolest ans best i've seen on this site...so far. mad props for those guys doing all that and going in a uphill battle.

maybe they will win non stop, everyone will freak over our cars, and there will be a huge demand for them in turn a huge rise in aftermarket parts. that would be perfect. :)

only question is "where did they get it?" it's not a RHD so it had to come from US or Canada right???

They did a good job getting it on the race track for competition, and that by itself is good enough for me...Plus an EVO conversion? SICK...

DID someone say they are not a fan of chinese? DUDE look at the stuff you own...dont tell me that at least 80% of your belongings have been made in china...DONT say I aint a fan...YOU AINT GOT NO CHOICE! LOL

OH on the oil cooler, in order for it to work properly it has to have AIR FLOWING THRU THE FINS. There might be air getting to it but not getting thru it to be efficient.

Cool turbo setup...It make sense....for a car that is always getting sidways and constantly jerking back and forth---let me give u an example why its good for drift setups: Take your ordinary household fan, the one that stands upright, and put it on high speed and try to swivel it left and right Real Fast...you will feel a force that is exerted on the fan to keep its REVs, but hold it just like the turbo mounted in this car and then you will see there will be no force on the fan because you are swiveling the fan with respect to its axis of rotation unlike when its upright and you are actually swiveling it exactly opposite of its axis of rotation. I hope you can picture/imagine what I am trying to say.....

oh i got a choice,i chose not to have anything Chinese made on my Sqs ie exhaust manifolds for instance,and i like my cat to be sitting on my lap,not disguised as chicken foo yong from some chinese take out,sorry dude but thats one stupid comment you just made. Scotty

oh i got a choice,i chose not to have anything Chinese made on my Sqs ie exhaust manifolds for instance,and i like my cat to be sitting on my lap,not disguised as chicken foo yong from some chinese take out,sorry dude but thats one stupid comment you just made. Scotty

I said 80 percent my friend. not 100 percent, your kitty and your turbo manifold are the other 20 percent......I hope you are not that STUPID! Please dont be ignorant neither. Look I am not saying Chinese stuff is top notch. heck no they are not, but if it wasn't for the Chinese, the economy of America would be Plagued, and that is only because American manufacturers decided to go there in the first place...So dont get mad and defensive...!

I'll be real honest. I installed a 2jzgte $250 SS manifold from Ebay on a 98 Supra and till this day it has not missed a beat. No cracks and the car dynoed at 760WHP so there are some good stuff, and bad stuff too from all around the world. I run the famous Ebay T70 turbo which you can see in my SIG, that got hated on times and times again on all car forums for being unreliable, but douche bags who dont know how to install it and break it complain NOT because they only paid $200 bucks for it like me, but because its made in CHINA. BTW. The turbo spins for almost a minute once I shut the car off, my buddy thought its a Garrett GT ball bearing turbo....only quickly he realized that its not water cooled and asked me where I got it?

SSAUTOCHROME! The ebay seller that sells all chinese made turbos intercoolers, bov's, wastegates etc etc etc.....Oh and I run their 4" thick XSPOWER chinese intercooler too...its a $1000 savings over a spearco/name brand, and does just as well.

I hope you catching the Drift!

Edited by desert_starion

I said 80 percent my friend. not 100 percent, your kitty and your turbo manifold are the other 20 percent......I hope you are not that STUPID! Please dont be ignorant neither. Look I am not saying Chinese stuff is top notch. heck no they are not, but if it wasn't for the Chinese, the economy of America would be Plagued, and that is only because American manufacturers decided to go there in the first place...So dont get mad and defensive...!

I'll be real honest. I installed a 2jzgte $250 SS manifold from Ebay on a 98 Supra and till this day it has not missed a beat. No cracks and the car dynoed at 760WHP so there are some good stuff, and bad stuff too from all around the world. I run the famous Ebay T70 turbo which you can see in my SIG, that got hated on times and times again on all car forums for being unreliable, but douche bags who dont know how to install it and break it complain NOT because they only paid $200 bucks for it like me, but because its made in CHINA. BTW. The turbo spins for almost a minute once I shut the car off, my buddy thought its a Garrett GT ball bearing turbo....only quickly he realized that its not water cooled and asked me where I got it?

SSAUTOCHROME! The ebay seller that sells all chinese made turbos intercoolers, bov's, wastegates etc etc etc.....Oh and I run their 4" thick XSPOWER chinese intercooler too...its a $1000 savings over a spearco/name brand, and does just as well.

I hope you catching the Drift!

Its about choices,your choice is to buy 'made in China',mine is supporting American vendors in every way i can,not just auto products. Edited by scottygibb

dude, unless your buying from a vendor who is a individual here on the site, who knows what your getting. and i feel like 99% of the time its gonna be from somewheres else. im tired of hearing about this whole made in usa crap. people who want to buy ford, gm and chrysler because its made in the usa and supports america. you are the dumbest people on earth. sometime in the 80's we stopped having cars truly made here. i dont give a fat rats a ss what that little sticker in the door of your taurus says it was made in michigan or ohio or whatever. the trans in most cars comes from france or mexico and 95% of its parts comes from some where else. and good ol g.m. that precious 350 motor that everyone loves has been made in mexico for many years. the parts may get assembled in the u.s. but it damned sure aint made here. so all of this supporting the u.s. crap needs to go back out the rear of the person who blew it out. and did you remember you are realllllly doing a fine job supporting the u.s. by driving a japanese car in the first place. come on people, get a grip on reality.

This is a very interesting thread.

All the discussion about build quality and China aside I think you people are missing the bigger picture. A racing house decided to enter a Mitsubishi Starion in to competative drifting. Aside from the grass-roots, privateer enthusiasts we have here in the community, I have never seen a shop sponsored Starion entered in to a competative drift competition. If these guys are successful and they start to make a name for themselves. They could easily fan the LONG DEAD flames of enthusiasm for the Mitsubishi Starion with regards to aftermarket support. It could also have VERY positive ramifications on the resale value of our cars. Look at what happened to the totally overlooked AE86 Corolla. Before the Initial D, Tokyo Drift craze these cars were fetching $1,500 on autotrader if they were in great shape. These days AE86's are fetching $6-8,000.

I don't care whether these guys are Chinese, Haitian or from Mexico. I hope they rock it... win... and make a name for themselves and the car.

This is a very interesting thread.

All the discussion about build quality and China aside I think you people are missing the bigger picture. A racing house decided to enter a Mitsubishi Starion in to competative drifting. Aside from the grass-roots, privateer enthusiasts we have here in the community, I have never seen a shop sponsored Starion entered in to a competative drift competition. If these guys are successful and they start to make a name for themselves. They could easily fan the LONG DEAD flames of enthusiasm for the Mitsubishi Starion with regards to aftermarket support. It could also have VERY positive ramifications on the resale value of our cars. Look at what happened to the totally overlooked AE86 Corolla. Before the Initial D, Tokyo Drift craze these cars were fetching $1,500 on autotrader if they were in great shape. These days AE86's are fetching $6-8,000.

I don't care whether these guys are Chinese, Haitian or from Mexico. I hope they rock it... win... and make a name for themselves and the car.

Thats what Im talking about! Go Chinese Starion Drift Racers! NeeHowMa!

ok, enough of the chinese bashing. some of their products and good and some are bad, can we leave it at that?

ANYHOW, i have to comment on this:

do you realize that a turbo can spin up to 100,000 RPMS?? that 1667 rotation per SECOND. even if the drift car was doing a donut, (about 1 rotation per second), that rotational energy of the starion spinning is exerting on the spinning turbo wheel is 0.060 % of the total rotation energy of the turbo spinning. meaning, in simple terms, is that there's no relevant change in "the force exerted to keep the turbo spinning". btw, the phenomenon which you are referring to is "the conservation of angular momentum or angular velocity". its the same force that makes an ice skater spin faster when they tuck in their legs and arms.

so, what im saying, it's probably a packaging choice to get everything to fit how they wanted.

Edited by patra_is_here

Are you suggesting that the centrifical forces of the turbo would have some sort of an effect on the rotation 3000lb+ car during a turn or a drift and that furthermore these guys though of that while building this car and specifically mounted the turbo like that to overcome said forces?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

i meant the flow over the oil cooler is gonna be low because its blocked on the back by the fenderwell. at least thats how it looks.

and the V mount has nothing to do with going sideways. an intercooler in front of ANYTHING with proper ducting is going to cool better, end of story. whatever air happens to make it through the little holes in the upper grill is going to jump around and go where even it pleases with out proper ducting and blockages, and if the radiator has less resistance to flow than the intercooler, than the cooling air is going to go over the radiator, while the IC will get what remains, AND, while the car is sitting still, the IC is just going to absorb the heat that rises from the radiator, and the IC is going to get some heat soak. V-mounts really should only be used when the confines of space dictate it's usage.

not necessarily. If the radiators have some big puller fans its possible they pull air(sitting still) through the IS. They turn them sideways like that so they can fit larger units it and get more surface area. also with the louvers in the hood if they have any sort of speed they will pull air through the IC make a pressure differential between the sides and making air more likely to go through it.

also you cant tell in the pic but i would guess the fender well is cut out to duct air to the oil cooler from the front wheel. that would only make sense for them to mount it like that.

Edited by shift1313

i like how the car looks,but it's prolly made of Chinese parts so they'll fail...and kids please don't lick the paint...you'll get lead poisoning :lol:
LOL! Thanks for the back up.

if the fender well was cut that would give some flow over the oil cooler, i agree. i just don't think it's cut.

and for the intercooler argument, i just know there's much better ways to do that. just look at rally car builds. those are factory backed builds of the highest order, and they don't use a V mount except in maybe cars with a VERY low hood line and no space to efficiently mount an intercooler.

starions have a lot of overhand, that intercooler isn't that big. there really isnt a reason to mount it like that in this situation. it has nothing to do with going sideways. the sideways arguement doesnt even make sense.

there's still going to be pressurized air in front of the intercooler regardless of the drift angle of the car. so you might as well put the intercooler in front with some proper ducting in a well sealed area to give the air no option but to go through the intercooler.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you suggesting that the centrifical forces of the turbo would have some sort of an effect on the rotation 3000lb+ car during a turn or a drift and that furthermore these guys though of that while building this car and specifically mounted the turbo like that to overcome said forces?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

EXACT OPPOSITE!

I am just talking about a jerking 3000# car putting a bit of force on the bearings of the turbo. But I am not sure that its entirely true..its just my imagination...

if the fender well was cut that would give some flow over the oil cooler, i agree. i just don't think it's cut.

and for the intercooler argument, i just know there's much better ways to do that. just look at rally car builds. those are factory backed builds of the highest order, and they don't use a V mount except in maybe cars with a VERY low hood line and no space to efficiently mount an intercooler.

starions have a lot of overhand, that intercooler isn't that big. there really isnt a reason to mount it like that in this situation. it has nothing to do with going sideways. the sideways arguement doesnt even make sense.

there's still going to be pressurized air in front of the intercooler regardless of the drift angle of the car. so you might as well put the intercooler in front with some proper ducting in a well sealed area to give the air no option but to go through the intercooler.

They use V mount so both the radiator and the intercooler get clean air through them. As opposed to the intercooler heating the air then it passing through the radiator and getting heated again. And seeing as they moved the engine back you may as well use the space for spomething.

They use V mount so both the radiator and the intercooler get clean air through them. As opposed to the intercooler heating the air then it passing through the radiator and getting heated again. And seeing as they moved the engine back you may as well use the space for spomething.

LOL i'm pretty sure that radiator efficiencies ARE NOT the reason to run a V-mount.

you act as thought the IC is going to some how heat soak the radiator if it was set up in a traditional set up.

pressurized intake air is what, 170F maybe, optimal engine/coolant/radiator temps are going to be around 190F.

so, i dont really see a problem with air warmed by the intercooler passing over the radiator fins

im gonna jump in and say i like it. I mean, its def something different and BOLD. and prob took a lot of effort and hard earned money to build that thing, paint it yellow... still using stock rims. so you know they are SQ lovers. As far as the V mount. i think for argumentative sake, i do not beleive they did it for effeciency at all, if they had the brain power to do what they did to that car, they know its of no importance, i beleive they did it to be different, something unique. it helps bring the SQ into the lime light in the drift world. Who knows, maybe once this guy drives he tears it up, then our cars become more desirable and our vehicle value raises....along with parts prices lol.

And as for comparing good build vs great build...how do you know that pic was not taken before the grommet was installed??? (good point i think)

im just saying, that SQ owner is obviously not on the boards to explain what he has done, how and so forth. or at what stages of the build those pix were at. So i dont think bashing, or bashing of the chinese is needed. IMO.

PS i have seen a few drift cars with oil coolers placed in that location

Edited by spoolinturbo