acetone in gas

Car6on14

anyone here try acetone?

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005...900069_Acetone/

NOTICE there are tons of articles online saying this works its great and or its terrible and will ruin your car, I dont want to be responsible for anyones car.

But With that said

I had a bottle and it seemed to work, but I didnt buy more after it was empty, its pretty expensive and im still getter better gas mi after stopping adding, I think it just cleaned the injectors in my (1984) camry... I ran 1/2 oz to about 5 gal. for about 6 months, I went through about a 20 oz bottle of it. Just filling to half a tank helped me get better mi...

Just wondered if anyone else tried it.

Edited by Car6on14

i looked into it a lot but never tried it. in theory it works because it changes the surface tension of the fuel but my commute is only 7miles and most of the time i ride motorcycles so it wasnt worth the risk since i already get 50+mpg

I tried it.

There was some concern about the acetone eating gaskets and such so I tried it on my company car that I don't have to repair. :eek1bluegreen:

I saw an increase of only .2 mpg and I contribute that to the fact that I wanted it to work and probably drove a little bit better.

Basically, it didn't work.

Edited by FlattopMike

Another thing to keep in mind is that whenever you do a change to the engine it takes the computer 50 starts (usually about 3 tanks of fuel) to mean it out. So it's best to reset the computer after any mods.

Back in the 1980's some customers tried the Acetone stuff. After about 6 months the seals in the fuel lines were flaking and clogging up the injectors. Also some of the rubber was turning into jelly. I don't remember if it helped with fuel mpg. I would think todays rubber is better than then. I wouldn't try it unless I had a Flex-Fuel system. Or upgraded my rubber and seals.

thx for the responses, and sorry that this was already posted, i musta missed the thread. I guess overall seems to good to be true... and doesnt work.

dont be, there are a few topics that come and go very often, like prelude headlights, dohc heads yada yada.

water4gas.com and so on.

When I saw that first thread on this I figured "why not", so I gave it a shot in my truck. Gas mileage did pick up about 20 per tank, and it seemed a bit more powerful. I ran a few tanks with it and then kinda lost interest. Seeing the talk about damaging seals, I also, each time, put a shot of Lucas in with it. I need fuel now, maybe I'll try it again.

If i had a car without an o2 sensor I would try it. Anything obdII will get the afr back in line with in seconds no need for the old drive cycle counts. but like shift My commute is short and mostly on two wheels so gas hasn't hurt me to bad YET.

When I saw that first thread on this I figured "why not", so I gave it a shot in my truck. Gas mileage did pick up about 20 per tank, and it seemed a bit more powerful. I ran a few tanks with it and then kinda lost interest. Seeing the talk about damaging seals, I also, each time, put a shot of Lucas in with it. I need fuel now, maybe I'll try it again.

my question is this. is it worth buying the acetone to only average out 20 miles to the tank?

im guessing your truck is a 20 gal tank and that just doesnt sound like it works out good enough to be worth it, and plus if you need to run some lucas to take care of those seals, you may as well just run high test and be done with it.

on the other hand, they did test it on mythbusters and actually said it was a "plausible" thing. the engine they were testing on did show some improvements in the way it ran. however they had nothing to test fuel mileage.

my question is this. is it worth buying the acetone to only average out 20 miles to the tank?

im guessing your truck is a 20 gal tank and that just doesnt sound like it works out good enough to be worth it, and plus if you need to run some lucas to take care of those seals, you may as well just run high test and be done with it.

on the other hand, they did test it on mythbusters and actually said it was a "plausible" thing. the engine they were testing on did show some improvements in the way it ran. however they had nothing to test fuel mileage.

I buy the big bottles of Lucas and use it maybe once a month anyway. The acetone (qt can) was like $6 and will do several tanks, if I were going to use it regularly. I run 92-93 in everything. My motors seem to run better than the lower grades.