Who owns an import Full size Pickup?

AndyW

Trucks trucks & more trucks  

13 members have voted

1. 1. which one?

• Nissan Titan
    • Toyota Tundra
    • Honda Ridgeline

Ok, the time has come to buy a new used truck. 230k on my 3/4 ton Ram Diesel and still going strong but I just dont need the diesel any longer now that I have a desk job so I'm looking for something with a lil more creature comforts. I'v narrowed my search to an import full size truck, The ridgeline is a strech at being full size with its towing capacity only at 5k pounds tho but Iv always like that one so i'm not ruling it out yet. I'll be buying a 04 - 06 model of either one. The Titon is the most powerful with about a 9k towing capacity and 5.6l V8. The toyota has the best track record being a toyota and all but has a towing cap at 7.4k pounds capacity and a 4.7l V8. still a nice truck. both have the 5.5 ' bed that I'll just have to deal with. The ridgeline I just love, might be a bit to much carlike for me but its still very cool.

What do you think?

The Toyota and Nissan have realy stepped up a noth in size, just read a bit on them, it surpised me. Have you looked at diesel prices latley? $4.32 a gallon when I filled up yesterday. I love the pulling power of it but I'v poured almost 2 grand into last year and havnt even touched the injection pump yet and I just cant stomach a $1500 repair on a 9 year old truck with this many miles. Its got all the bells and whistles and runs like a raped ape but the body is starting to goto to hell on it too so......... I'm looking at the 15-20 thousand range. I dont want another 3/4 ton because when it does need a repair its twice the cost, I just dont realistacly need a HD truck any longer. The Newer dodges just dont to it for me, Chevy... well never owned one... never will. And ford just dont know. The amenities of say the Titan LE are just unbelievable, over 300hp, a full 4 door, power outlets everywhere you look, console shift, storage in every lil nook and cranny (what exactly IS a cranny anyway?) Now granted I hanve driven any of these yet, I'm in the preliminary stages right now so as far as I know the chevy is just and absolute dream to drive, although I very much doubt it :P Edited by AndyW

I think for the year range you are looking for the Titan is the best bet. I'm actually looking into sell my Ram 3500 diesel also, but I've been looking at the 2008 Tundra's. Diesel power is incredible but the fillups are depressing.

My vote goes for the Tundra. A few friends of mine have them and they are a beautiful truck with plenty of power. The smaller bed can sometimes be a PITA but hey my engine lift, dirtbikes and ATVs still fit. One at a time of course ;)

My pops owns an 05 Titan.. The only issue was that the front brakes needed replaced/upgraded at around 13K.. Nissan was well aware of the issue(it's all over the titan forums also), I think there was a TSB for it and the issue was resolved in the 06+ models...

I'm not sure how a Titan isn't considered a full size, someone might need an appointment with an optometrist.

i love my dakota

I liked mine too, but been there dun that. I had a lifted 93 Extcab with the 318. I'm realy looking for a full 4 door.

i vote tundra.

i am not a huge fan of the titans (although they are nice)

and i reallllllllly like the ridgelines and was going to trade my ranger or one but for the low towing capacity and the horable gas mileage for a honda (20 mpg) my ranger was a better truck for me.

just my $0.02

good luck i know it is hard to chose!

We plan to buy an Avalanche 2500.

It's 3/4 ton, but we plan to tow a 27' camper trailer and don't want issues up in the mountains.

The Avalanches are very reliable.

Of the 3 forums I belong to, all of them claim it's the most reliable truck.

I haven't checked on that one. But going through a pile of posts, they spend more time talking about putting mods on their trucks than fixing problems.

My favorite thing is how the short bed opens up into the passenger compartment if you need to haul 8' material.

If the tow capacity was in the 8'000 range, we would have gone for the Ridgeline.

Since checking out the Avalanche's for a month or so, the Ridgeline looks pretty chinsey(sp?) though.

Out of your 3 choices, I'd have to go with the Titan.

Tundra. Reliability and utility, plus better gas mileage than that Titan. The Ridgeline hardly qualifies as a truck...I compare it to a drag queen, sure it looks like a woman but underneath it aint!!! :biggrinumbrella1:

Yah the ridgeline just wont cut it the more and more I read up onit. I trailer my Conquest to all autoXs so the ridgeline just wouldnt hang, I just like the looks of it but not very practicale for me. The worst complaint I'v found on the Titan is the exhaust is too loud, lol My Dodge is running straight thru 4" exhaust, I'm sure the noise factor will not me an issue for me. lol Plus, I know it soulnd like a stupid reason to like a vehicle but it has a console shift on the upper models and I like that. As far as mialage yes its the worst at about 13/17 but the toyota is only 14/18 and my dodge is 13/15 so I"m taking a step up relardless of my chiose.

As for the avalanch they have definitly straightened themselves out since that first came out, they look alot better now then thier first model year.

i vote for the Titan since i can't vote for Dodge

LOL, thanks for that. I'v owned alot of dodges and thought i always would but nothing they have truck wise just does anything for me. I worked for a friend of mine delivering a couple years ago and drove his 05 Quadcab 12 hours a day 5 days a week and just didnt pop for me. Nothing wrong with it by any meens, that Hemi had balls but interior wise and just overall truck wise I just didnt care for it.

I was never a Ford guy, but when neccessity called and the opportunity presented itself some years back I bought a Ranger. I ran it up to nearly 200k, and traded for a newer one. I'll be replacing it within the next few years, and Toyota's probably gonna fill the spot in my driveway. I do need a truck for my work, but not the full size. I'll buy the Tacoma, Xcab, 4wd (never gonna be without that 4wd again), 5 speed, air, cruise, PW/PL, the works. Probably black or silver. I'd buy another Ranger without hesitation, but the Tacoma's just got me dazzled for some reason.

i own a 07 titan. i freakin love it. altho the ride can be bumpy at times. but hey its a freakin truck. it pulls hard and will light the hella out the tires. just a note 1st is all the way down and then to the right. i had to get used to that when i would try and light the tires up goin around a corner, id always have it in 2nd instead. but its a good truck. they have a pretty nice audio system also. and the kids fit in the back seats pretty comfortably

just going on sheer resale value, get the Tundra. i was at a Toyota dealership with a buddy of mine and they had an 01 Tacoma for sale that had 200k miles and they wanted 9 grand for it.

just going on sheer resale value, get the Tundra. i was at a Toyota dealership with a buddy of mine and they had an 01 Tacoma for sale that had 200k miles and they wanted 9 grand for it.

but that is for an idiot who thinks that is a good deal. :blink:

i would never pay 9k for a 200k mkileage vehicle...not when you could buy something newer or even slightly older with less mileage.

i don't own any of the 3 above,but for just being around nissans and yota's,i would say eithe rone.The titan is one bad mothertrucker though..lol

RAM RAM RAM.

Tundra, do you REALLY wanna be the Ricer of truck owners. Whenever I see one on the road I want to vomit. The way they BLOW up the body to try and make it look all buff, is reminds me of these steroid freaks. It's a waste of mass and they're over compensating for something they don't have. Every Tundra comparison I have seen has been compared to some baseline ram, ford, or chevy.

Also I would think twice about the nissan, if you've ever worked on one, they're a pain in the a**, I dread working on Nissans.

Edited by Kenquest

I've had 3 v8 Tundra's so far.

I work for Toyota so i am a bit biased.

The 07 5.7l is the most fun truck you can get short of a lightning.

I got 20mpg and 460 miles out of one tank but that was an all out attempt for the best MPG.

I think my 05 DC was my fav.

It had 20in BBS wheel. black with tan leather. Rear window rolled completely down.

It just didnt quite have enough umph to pull our 30ft camper up the big hills.

Feel free to PM any ????

I've had 3 v8 Tundra's so far.

I work for Toyota so i am a bit biased.

The 07 5.7l is the most fun truck you can get short of a lightning.

I got 20mpg and 460 miles out of one tank but that was an all out attempt for the best MPG.

I think my 05 DC was my fav.

It had 20in BBS wheel. black with tan leather. Rear window rolled completely down.

It just didnt quite have enough umph to pull our 30ft camper up the big hills.

Feel free to PM any ????

Yea well, if I had to pick one of these 3 it'd definitely be the Tundra.

Also I would think twice about the nissan, if you've ever worked on one, they're a pain in the a**, I dread working on Nissans.

The Titan specifically? I doubt it. It's very much accessible, totally different than VQ Maximas/Altimas and 350z's...

I also find it funny how Titans are built here, but most of the Fords or GM's are either built in Mexico or Canada..

The only way i'd go for an domestic truck was if I needed a deisel.

"I just cant stomach a $1500 repair on a 9 year old truck"........

"so......... I'm looking at the 15-20 thousand range"

:hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously though, Its a tough choice between the Titan and Tundra, but I voted Titan simply because I like the quest style fender flares, they give it a mean look.

That being said, I recommend you get whatever new truck you want and give your "runs like a scalded ape" diesel dodge to me, I will mount a 60's dodge sweptline body on it, convert it to run on waste veggie oil, and cruise it everywhere for 50 cents a gallon :party0009:

Edited by racer_amx