another 5.0 swap+turbo

tim si

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if i had the talent to build those i prob.wouldnt mind but a friend of mine did those.i doubt he'd be interested right now,i put him way behind on his own project.i still need a few things but its coming along.VERY SLOW!!!!heres a link to the rest of the pics. http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/timtsi/ Edited by tim si

• 4 weeks later...
finally got this thing on the road.running pretty strong on 6lbs.i blew a head gasket the other day so im putting that back together and maybe get some video in a few days.its been a very big project(bigger than i imagined)but to drive it is very rewarding.

what gaskets and fastening hardware are you running? also what are you tunning with?

im just using felpro head gaskets now,but they should be fine for low boost.i never plan on running over 10lbs and if they dont hold ill use better head gaskets next time.the reason i blew the head gasket i think was from the line blowing off the wastegate.theyve all been zip-tied now.h.p. should be around 550-600 at 10lbs.it hasnt been tuned yet so its still running pretty rich with 42lb injectors.just gotta save some money for dyno time and burn a chip for the stock ecu.

regular felpros will pop again most likley especially if you have stock head fasteners. for tunning i would recomend a tweaker r/t and tune it yourself
ive got arp head bolts and i agree on the gaskets but i didnt feel like tearing the whole top off to replace them just yet.if i dont get some seat time in the car soon ill get fed up and sell it or something so ill just drive it on low boost for a while.i thought about going with a tweeker or andersons ''pms'' but id still want it dynoed and i dont plan on any more mods so when its tuned its done.i dont have room to haul all that stuff around.

pms is mor of a piggy back where the tweaker will give you full control a chip is ok for a rough tune but IMHO a waste for the money it costs. get the tweaker and have it tunned and save the file so you can go back to it later. either way should be a blast. my buddies n/a 5.0 quest is a blast aside from the wheel hop

here is a vid of the car

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNrqMzAbe0M

ive got arp head bolts and i agree on the gaskets but i didnt feel like tearing the whole top off to replace them just yet.if i dont get some seat time in the car soon ill get fed up and sell it or something so ill just drive it on low boost for a while.i thought about going with a tweeker or andersons ''pms'' but id still want it dynoed and i dont plan on any more mods so when its tuned its done.i dont have room to haul all that stuff around.

You still have my #??? lol

Ya i know how to get a hold of you,i was hoping you and maybe Vince were going to pf this year.id have prob put you in for a test drive in the 86.

Yeah I wish I could have made it.......You should bring one of those beasts down for the Import Showdown in August...How far are you from Macon? I'm glad to see you got your turbo car "done"...I only say the "" because nothing is ever finished...lol.....I still think that 86 with a rear mount.....wooo....the sex...One these days I'll get a swap car....so I can actually go fast....lol

• 1 month later...
ive got video but not the best run,still having clutch problems and it broke the 2nd pass

What broke man? I hope nothing major....I still can't believe boosted is breaking axels like that...the cinquest is 600 hp car on stock 4 bolt...running strong......boosted is breaking 6 bolts like they are chocolate bars...

My axles broke due to driveline shock and I only broke 2 of them. I now slip the clutch a little in stead of just dumping it. But the other day I snaped the drivers rear spindle in 1/2 on a 2nd gear pull on the street tires. Later that day I broke something else too. Not sure what let loose yet. I turned down the boost and still made 553 to the wheels so I should have plenty of power to snap just about anything I feel like snaping. lol Tim what tires are you useing and how are you launching that beast?

that was on slicks but i doubt ill use them again.ive got a little chatter when i first pull out now that i didnt have before but its not major yet.it bogged off the line first time and hit second right before the 60 ft due to an early shift+missed 3rd ran 8.40@84.still had a 1.87 60 ft so i really think thats the way to go.after you get it rolling then beat the hell out of it.left at about 5 grand the second pass and got the u-joint which in turn got the drive shaft.new shaft this week,bigger and better. Edited by tim si

well i bumped it up to 8lbs yesterday and man was it strong til it blew the headgasket.oh well i knew i didnt have the best gaskets anyway,it was a slight oversight when putting it together.10 minutes of fun,now 177.00 broker.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Tim,

Are you running a cable clutch or a hydraulic throw out bearing?

How much did it cost you to have the turbo manifolds built? I know he was your friend...but how much would I expect to spend otherwise?

There was a turbo kit for the Fox body Mustang made by Treadstone on ebay pretty cheap ($650) a while back and I considered getting it to install the warmed up 302 I have in the garage. I figured I could take that kit and modify it for my application. The piping was routed very similar to yours..

I really like the idea of running a turbo 302 in a SQ. I had the idea back in 2005, but sold the car after I got the 302 dropped in it--I never even got to drive it!

If I start this project, I may have to lean on you for lots of advice! :)

What do you guys think about these?

304 Stainless

twin turbo headers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=260288530439

Nice kit for single turbo with downpipe and crossover pipe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Kit-M...sspagenameZWDVW

Inexpensive kit with Garrett turbos included:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Twin-Turbo-...sspagenameZWDVW

Another inexpensive kit with turbos included:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTANG-V8-...sspagenameZWDVW

that was on slicks but i doubt ill use them again.ive got a little chatter when i first pull out now that i didnt have before but its not major yet.it bogged off the line first time and hit second right before the 60 ft due to an early shift.still had a 1.87 60 ft so i really think thats the way to go.after you get it rolling then beat the hell out of it.left at about 5 grand the second pass and got the u-joint which in turn got the drive shaft.new shaft this week,bigger and better.

What did you end up running?