another 5.0 swap+turbo

tim si

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ya i agree.the way weve got the pipe run i think i can add one in later pretty easy.ive got to get my radiator and a/c then see how much room ive got.ive still got such a long list of things to do,the i/c is going to the back

ya,it went in there pretty tight.we did consider a Log type manifold but decided to go this way.my friend that built this is very particular with his work but i didnt give him much to work with.i wanted to leave every accessory on it.this will be completly street with a/c and everything.there isnt very much room for anything in there.i think it has turned out very well and im glad i did it.the single turbo is good for 600hp and thats plenty enough for me.we could have put another in but i refused to put the battery in the trunk.its just not a race car to me.

• 2 weeks later...
well ive been pretty tempted here lately.my buddy wants me to put the turbo kit on the 86 i got from TSI but its such a nice car the way it is i just dont wanna mess with it.i dont think the 89 would bring enough to justify selling it,theres alot of money sitting there without a paint job but its gonna be real nice when finished.its one of the best drivers ive had.its got polished shp's and a 83 hood.

that makes two of us.im hoping to get all the pipes coated next weekend,then another week or two we should have the radiator finished,then get the front end back on.then i just have to get it painted.we'll see how funds are in the next couple months.i may be selling my white quest to help fund the paint job. Edited by tim si

• 4 weeks later...
What did it cost you to put in the 5.0 and what did u have to change to mount the motor in and the 5-speed tranny? I would like to put a 5.0 or a 4.6 but i don't if the 4.6 would fit? I am wanting to do this to my black 89 quest, i've had many problems with my 2.6 and wanting more power, and the sound of a v8.

the 5.0 is the best bet.theres no way you can get a 4.6 in there.if you want to go cheap go carb and t-5.the t-5 will fit the tunnel better,and the carb is much easier+right off the bat,youll get more power.efi can really be a pain.engine mounts arent bad.trans mount will have to be made,and drive shaft after everything else is in.ive been told alot of machine shops can do the driveshaft pretty cheap.my pics should show how the mounts worked.stock 5.0 headers will work with modifications.

• 1 month later...
Well this has taken alot longer than i thought but ive had alot going on.here are a few more pics and im getting closer.mostly just some wiring details and putting the front end on so here goeshttp://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/timtsi/P9130196.jpg

pipes were coated by M&R coatings in Kodak TN.price was 265.00 and worth every bit.coating is good for 1400 degrees.the pipes look better in person i didnt wipe fingerprints off before taking picshttp://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/timtsi/P9130200.jpg Edited by tim si

and heres my little helper and also fill in photographer.ill post a link to all the pics of this build tomorrow.http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/timtsi/7e87d040.jpg Edited by tim si