PUSH START?

soulja620

Just a few questions.........

1. What do you want it to do other than start the car?

2. Does it also shut off the car? (Safety issue if accidently pushed)

3. Do you still want to use the key in the ignition cylinder?

4. Can you still send voltage to the starter after the car is running?

5a. What are the specs on the button/Can it handle the currrent draw without a relay?

5b. If you don't know, are the contacts on the switch the size of an ink pen tip or about 1/4"?

E-Mann

Just a few questions.........

1. What do you want it to do other than start the car?

2. Does it also shut off the car? (Safety issue if accidently pushed)

3. Do you still want to use the key in the ignition cylinder?

4. Can you still send voltage to the starter after the car is running?

5a. What are the specs on the button/Can it handle the currrent draw without a relay?

5b. If you don't know, are the contacts on the switch the size of an ink pen tip or about 1/4"?

E-Mann

1. It just replaces the start function of your ignition cylinder. If you notice on the ignition cylinder once you start the car the key automatically goes to the on function. Thats why you engage your starter when the car is already running.

2. NO. The car will function the same way.

3. Yes, but when you try start your car with the it will not start in the start posiition if wired correctly.

4. Yes just like key in ths start postion.

5. A relay will be needed. This push button switch is not the same as the switch or kill switch used for race cars if that's what your looking for.

I've got my switch mounted in my starquest, but never got around in wiring it up yet, I have one in my RX-7 mounted in the cig. lighter which I believe Chad did on his too.

I've had one for a few years now, mounted where the cigarette lighter was..

I did it because my ignition wouldn't start my car all of a sudden after a distributor swap and I couldn't for the life of me get the ignition switch out.. :lol: I can get it out now, but I kinda like the push button starter. :D

It's nothing fancy though, all you can see is a black rubber button. Doesn't say anything on it..

• 2 weeks later...

You'll be just fine.Just make sure to use good wire conectors and terminal ends.I got something like that in my old truck.The wire just activates the selinoid to starter.The high amps come thru the large gauge cable.

I still have a keyed switch to turn on first.It has a start position too;I just wanted the button start.

I did my truck that way because the key switch in the colun was brocken and I had no luck replaceing it.

I may put it back to original colum switch when I get it running again.Too easy to steal the thing as is.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

tux Posted: October 26, 2006, 5:48 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

replace the cylinder with the button... and use switches for accessory/on

Then buy a really nice turbo and tell me wher you park your car :roll: :roll: :roll:

tux Posted: October 26, 2006, 5:48 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

replace the cylinder with the button... and use switches for accessory/on

Then buy a really nice turbo and tell me wher you park your car :roll: :roll: :roll:

already have a nice big turbo

i think the button is stupid if you still have to use the key .

I wouldn't do it though :/

• 4 weeks later...
i had microswitches in my mustang, you had to turn on the left turn signal, AC control from cold to hot and back to cold, and push the horn button in that order before the car would start...let someone try to fgure that one out..Ive seen it done simpler like you have to open the center console lid in my friends V dub for it to start then you can close it. one f the best ones Ive seen in my friend john put them in the seat belt of his daughters car. no wear your seatbelt...no start the car...ad he's got her convinced it came like that :wink:

• 1 month later...
i had microswitches in my mustang, you had to turn on the left turn signal, AC control from cold to hot and back to cold, and push the horn button in that order before the car would start...let someone try to fgure that one out..Ive seen it done simpler like you have to open the center console lid in my friends V dub for it to start then you can close it. one f the best ones Ive seen in my friend john put them in the seat belt of his daughters car. no wear your seatbelt...no start the car...ad he's got her convinced it came like that :wink:

Thanks for the order of switches I need to steal your mustang

MuHuHaHaHa

• 2 months later...