Knife-edged crank

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It came back from the balancer. I haven't been to the shop to weigh it but at least it was balanceable. Its being sent out this week to get polished and :oops: magnafluxed. It better not be cracked or I'm going to be pissed. I should have had that done first but I F'd up. :oops:

dad says tests have shown if the rods have been turned 10 thou,,,,it doesnt need re hardened

he didnt say anything about more than 10 tho,,,,i guess more then 10 it needs rehardened

rods or crank? I'm cornfused :oops:

My crank is back to the shop. I think it was $120 to have it ballanced and around $100 to have it turned and magnafluxed plus my time. I'll try to get pics and a final weight this week.

The weight saving from the crank is some where around 4 pounds. I'm not sure how accurate my scale is. But it said my crank weighs 36lbs. And it said that a stock crank weighed 40 lbs.

I loss about 4 lbs on mine as well. Yours however looks to have a little more material removed.

I called this place up and they knife edge for 260,vcut for 400

Nitrarting is an extra 140 and thats only if you re do the oil holes.wich are 15 a piece.i plan on getting a vcut.Ill end up spending close to 750 but i think its worth it

Its been shipped guys.

I got a tracking number today.

Ill post pics as soon as i get it.Total of 512.06

Knifeedgeing

Nitrated

balanced,

Detailed

and shipping is in that price

So it ended up being less thn expected by more than $200? did they not do some of the things you were quoted for? I'm about readyt o sendone in and want to know as much as I can about what to expect $$$.

So it ended up being less thn expected by more than $200? did they not do some of the things you were quoted for? I'm about readyt o sendone in and want to know as much as I can about what to expect $$$.

Yes.He said thats as far as he would go with removing weight.So it shouldnt cost more then 550 shipped both ways.

Castillos was really slow and had horrible communication.They had the crank Like dec 18th and i just got it back on the 11th of march.

If you plan on building your motor before june then i wouldnt count on having your crank back.It was a COD so i didnt pay a thing until i received the package

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Good thread!

A streetability question for those of you who have this:

Q: Are you having troubles keeping it revved between shifts?

Please clarify if you are TBI or MPI when answering.

I ask because on TBI with the Fidanza & stock crank, mine dropped rpms real quick after making that BOV hiss, especially if I boost and let off to coast. Without the full rotational weight, the engine didn't keep spinning long enough and the extra unburnt fuel killed it at times. This dying seemed more an issue with the stock cam than the 274 however --and shouldn't be a prob. with MPI.

Good thread!

A streetability question for those of you who have this:

Q: Are you having troubles keeping it revved between shifts?

Please clarify if you are TBI or MPI when answering.

Naw.......

MPI

The only issue I had was finding a clutch strong enough to handle the torque.