CHECKING THE NEED ON STEERING BOX

Trilogy Turbos

Would like to hear from you guys if there is a need for the steering box. I got a good contact that can rebuild them with warranty.

Price is not cheap, but if you consider that it's very hard to find these now a days, I think it worth it.

They are asking $375.00 with a core, if you don't have a core add another $125.00 to it; so we are talking about $500,00!

This is PLUS SHIPPING from me to you.

Thanks,

Heron

Trilogy Turbos

Couldn't you get it done cheaper??

How much is a rebuilt one?

I need one myself.

This is a rebuild one!

I have 2 cores, bad that I can give them to "start" the process. I've already bargain with them a lot, this is the best price I could get. Believe it or not they started with $650!

Trilogy Turbos

Sorry, I was wrong, they said $120 to rebuild those I had forgotten, it's been 4 months ago, call them and ask

WE DON'T HAVE ANYMORE OF THE GEARBOX. BUT, IF YOU SEND IN YOUR UNITS, WE CAN DO IT FOR $120.00 PLUS SHIPPING.

THANKS,

You have more of those? What do you charge to rebuild them if I sent in additional units?

thanks

August 31, 2005 11:43 AM

Subject: Re:You Won eBay Item: 1984-87 CHRYSLER CONQUEST POWER STEERING GEAR BOX

In order for us to ship your item, please make another payment of $75.00 for your core deposite. You will receive the refund once we get your old unit. A return shipping labe will be send with your new steering unit. If you have any question, please contact me at 817-222-1828.

Thank you,

Sonie

So what exactly is the rebuild?

What I believe happens with these boxes is the main shaft driving the pitman arm tends to fret/corrodes with time. Not sure the full reason why it does, maybe it be from old crusty fluid that was never changed. But the shaft literally has indentations in it, it is clear as day if you tear a leaking one apart. Thus if the shaft frets/corrodes, the fluid leaks right on by even if the seal is changed. The only real fix for this would be to replace the main shaft. Or mill down the shaft and go with a larger seal but that degrades the capacity of the shaft.

kev

Kelly has a contact that offers fully rebuilt boxes as well. The price is the same at $375.

I don't see how anyone can offer an actual rebuilt box for $120. Sounds like a seal kit to me.

If you want it done right, you're gonna have to pay up. That is not an unreasonable price for a steering box that is as good as new.

Turborusty

anyone in question about the price of a fully rebuilt box, has never seen inside one. ive never rebuilt a box but ive had a few apart and they are way more complicated than you would think. easily worth 375 $

i bought a seal kit from a friend who is in the parts buisness and it still costed me nearly 100$ and i had to figure out how to put the seals in. 375 for a rebuild is a good price.

ok, so I asked :

-----------------------------------------

Hi

I have some questions about your service. Are these cleaned up and resealed units or do you replace worn shafts bearings etc to make them good as new? I have a couple more and some others have asked that have these so I was following up to see if we could find out.

Thanks

John

the response...

Hello John,

All our steering units are completely cleaned, dissambled, and thoroughly inspected. If the worn shaft or any other parts is bad, it would not pass the inspection and will not be used. If it pass the inspection, the component is then remanufactured using the highest quality replacement parts ( new seal kit, bearings, and bushing) available and guaranteed 100% pressure and air tested back with 12 months warranty. If you have anymore question,please let me know.

Thank you,

Sonie

Sales Rep.

TEXAS STEER REMANUFACTURE

5524 MIDWAY ROAD SUITE # 4

HALTOM CITY, TX 76117

United States

texassteer@sbcglobal.net

If that's what they do for $120.!! I'm skeptical; I just can't see a company spending about 3/4 hours (at least) to rebuild something and charge only $120.00 including parts; I wouldn't do it and no one here in Florida would do it either!

I can send them a core for that.

Heron

Trilogy Turbos

I don't know about that, but the one I'm also in contact is out of Florida too. It's a big company thow. Here in South Florida people are just out of their minds with this kind of work. But $120.00 it's unheard off.

I'll contact them when the time is right.

Thanks,

Heron

Trilogy Turbos

• 1 month later...