carbon fiber hood

jszucs

Ok ive been looking into making a carbonfiber hood for my 86 conquest.  I have some skill in fiber glass and the process is much the same.  so here is what im thinking, my hood is Fed  it's red so it's faded and the paint is screwed from the heat and a hard life.  however it has no dings or dents so what im going to do is: prep it up nice, coat it well with wax or mold release, and get some sheets of CF cloth and lay them out with say a 4inch overlap  resign up the sheets smooth them out once it sets crack it from the mold and fold the edge flaps over and resign them on the underside with an xing CF suports tucked under the edges.  Im just curious has anyone tried this?  im not saying im going to make them, no do I realy plan too but we will see how this goes.

I was attempting that with interior peciecs,not easy,keep trying.

yeah the vac bag will help in keeping it much thinner all over I tried a small piece and it seems to work OK  but im thinking to get a supre smooth top you need to vac bag it. well see  

ok I know this is going to sound stupid but im actuly thinking about using dropcloth and using something to melt 2 layers together so I can make a bag.  the cold here actuly helps it takes forever to set

i have done a lot of fiberglass work and the process is much diffrent due to the fact that when u lay fiberglass you lay it knowing that you are going to need to sand it smooth. with cf you need to get the right kind of resin that cures slow so it dosent ripple the cloth and it also needs to be in a room or area that has no mooving air so it dosent bubble up. and if u dont get the right resin it will yellow quick and will look like s***. if you have any more questions e mail me at Xray901@aol.com

Guest castmem

hey there.... actually I'm in the process of setting up a group buy for Carbon fiber hoods as we speak. Infact, I should be recieving the original 83 hood here soon and will drop it off to start the process of production ASAP. It'll be available through this group purchase and then it'll be avail forever through myself..... check the group by section.

-Dustin