I REBUILD ALL CONQUEST/STARION Struts

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have an '89 left rear with about 50,000 miles that just needs seals, but isn't of much use the way it is. I replaced it with a new one awhile back, so I'd be willing to be the gp if some of your are curious enough to kick in a few bucks to help cover the shipping & rebuild. Even have the box they come in. I'm pretty familiar with them as I did a full conversion of a standard suspension car to the HP, and can provide feedback on both rebuild and time.

:P  Hey supra quest, no joke here. I went to your place 6 times and it's always closed. I called you "SEVERAL" times and left message on you voice mail but you never called me back, and you know that.

I didn't check this post for the past 2 weeks, I think, and I'm pretty busy this days.

So today is 12/06/02 Friday. Are you open this weekend or can we meet this weekend? Give me a call, my cell phone is 954 2748110.

The last time I stopped by your shop was on the 27th Wednesday about 1pm and found that grand am in the same place  ;D, I even asked some of your neighbors and they told me they didn't see you for a few days.

I don't mind to be the guinea pig here.

Give me a call and I'll stop by even if 3 AM is the only time we can meet.

Regards,

Heron

house 954 7425840

cell      954 2748110  

Okay, just drop the rear struts to supraquest today. We had a good chat but there is a 'BIG PROBLEM'; he is a HONDA GUY!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!! No! A HOnda guy?! Men, he will make my car go slower!!! LOL!. No just kidding. Nice guy to talk to, but he really is a Honda guy. He has a 88 white conquest with big projects for it.

Anyways, he rebuilt the struts on his conquest and if mine come up like his I'm pretty happy. Very stiff no bouncing around, solid. He promissed my two rear struts to be ready tomorrow, sunday. So let's wait. I'll also need the front ones.

Guinea pig informed! LOL.

Regards to all.

Heron

Here is the deal. I got my rear struts, but one of them was not good so he didn't rebuild it. So I have a spare left rear now. I gave 2 other rear ones so he could rebuild them and he already did it. They look good and "fell" good too. Very stiff. I'm cleaning out the rubber parts and etc..., I also got a ST lowering coils that I'm going to put with this rebuilds struts. I still have to give to him the front struts so he can rebuild them too since I intend to put everything at once on the car, drive then give you guys my oppinion. As I said, his car has a very stiff suspention. That's the way I want my car to be.

Probably I'll have everything done by the weekend.

Regards,

Heron

No gas, our stock shocks are oil filled.

Mine were easy down and up. Now it's okay down, more resistance, and really hard to pull it up. Our shocks are rebound style.

I didn't put in the car yet, I'm waiting for some parts, dust covers and the stoper so I can put everything new in there the first time and don't have to take it a part for a second time just to put the dust covers.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Regards,

Heron

KYB 8 way adjustable struts (which StarQuest OEMs are) are gas charged and should extend unless restrained - like all gas charged. If yours do not, they are not right. I know because I installed a full set that I purchased from Mitsu. The gas charge reduces foaming of the oil. So it sounds like they are half rebuilt. - maybe better than nothing, but not right.

TM, I was looking at my 87 conquest manual and there are 2 types, oil filled and gas filled. My cars are all oil filled, fronts and rears. I don't think "all" starquests come with the gas since I oppened the front ones myself and there was only oil. If I'm not wrong the gas ones are sealed on the top.

I'm going to supraquest's shop tomorrow "today" to pick up my front struts, but I wont be able to assemble them on the car yet since I'm waiting for the strut boots and UPS told me they will be here only on the 24th!!!! X-mas present!!!

As I said before, the rear ones are very stiff, very different from when they were shot. I want to put all 4 on the car drive it then give my opinion.

Regards,

Heron

I have two brand new 8 way front struts in the box.  They are not gas type and the piston is not restrained in any way.  I think that was the mistake I was making when I was trying to find a new front pair.  If you dig into the manual for the 88 and 89 you will find three types of struts; oil filled, gas filled, and dial type.

Heron, was the strut that you rebuilt an oil filled or adjustable.  I still need the back pair rebuilt and would like to keep them adjustable for Solo racing.

Todd

I am quite certain you guys are making this more complicated than it is. There were 2 pkgs. available in '89 - standard: which included non-adjustable Tokiko struts, and the Handling Package which included KYB 8 way adjustables, which are also gas charged. Just go visit the KYB page or dealer. THey make a retail strut that looks just like ours. Unfortuantely, probably due to their agreement with Mitsu, they do not sell the model for our cars. Gas charging a strut does not replace the oil, it keeps the oil from foaming. I have a 1989 Chrysler Import parts catalog, and these are the only 2 struts offered. A few years ago I did a complete change-over from standard to handling package. One of the problems I encountered, was that the dealer received some 'dead' struts from the warehouse. By 'dead' I mean some that the gas had leaked out. Consider that these have probably been sitting on a shelf for years! Like I said, this is not necessarily a 'show stopper,' but it also isn't the ultimate answer. I've been meaning to call KYB and see if they off a rebuild service, or know of anyone who does. I think it is feasible to re-charge the gas, but probably adds considerable to the cost. How about it SuprQuest? Am I right??

;D

Don't worry men!!! As soon as I get my dust covers and boots I'll put them on and drive it. I'm sure they will be fine!

Adjustable struts, oil and gas.

Non adjustable , oil only.

Hope we agree on this.

P.S. supraquest give me a call, I have your non jet valve ready with the mechanical setup!

Heron

;) Okay guys, I put my suspention back on the car with the ST lowered springs.

The car rides like a go kart now. Very solid. The rebuild worth it. It's very strong, the car just glued to the ground.

Very big difference from my gas shocks.

Regards,

Heron

P.S. I still need camber plates!!!

Well, by installing the ST springs, the car already runs a little bit more stiff, but SUPRAQUEST told me that the rebuild was "about" 40% stiffer than stock. I like it, even my son noticed that the car has a lot of more grip on the turns under heavy acceleration.

I don't know what he used, I didn't see the rebuild. I'm just telling you guys my impression on the struts.

I'm also getting this rebuilds for my 87 flat bodie. It really needs it!

Regards,

Heron