I REBUILD ALL CONQUEST/STARION Struts

First off the KYB's ARE gas charged. The Tikiko's are not. What FE has to say about the gas leaking out has some merrit. I retro-fit a car a few years back and had to reorder one that had lost its gas. And as I've said before, gas is not the most important aspect of the strut. My only beef here is that if someone says without qualification that they can rebuild these, it should mean 'as built.' If you're only doing part of the job fine. But be out in the open about it. I don't mean to question FE's integrity, but he said "I've rebuilt both 8ways and 'gas charged'" Well I'm here to tell you that ALL KYB 8 Way adjustable were gas charged. So how could you have rebuilt both?? And as for the comparison with heium, I think you needed a little more time in chemistry. Helium can escape through rubber because of the size of a helium molecule. This is one of the reasons 'inert' gases are used in these applications. Do your tires all go flat in a year or 2 of storage? The problem is not with the gas escaping through the rubber, but around it due to wear.  Just answer my question - how do you go about recharging them with gas? Personally, I'm glad to hear that they can be rebuilt at all. But first I would have to feel comfortable that the one doing it knew what he was doing, and what I expected. I think this is where we part.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fast Eddie, what is the part # for the 8-way adjustable seal kit, and what type of oil do you recommend?  I have the rears off my car (non adjustables are on, and only one adjustable is bad) and want to rebuild both soon (as I leave for Cleveland Institute of Art on Aug 20, sadly with my Quest).

Well if you want me to get technical on you and confuse everyone...

First off 98% of struts are charged with nitrogen.. Atoms and molecules are "squishy" not "hard spheres", so the"size" of molecules and atoms depends upon how you measure it. For example, the excluded volume constant -- the 'b' term in the van der Waals equation of state for a gas (P+a/V^2)*(V-B) = RT , which for He and N2 is 0.02370 and 0.03913 liters/mol, respectively. From this you can calculate

a volume and from that a radius, assuming the spherical shape for He and

N2 -- not a bad assumption. The result is 340 and 220 nanometers for He and

N2 respectively.The interatomic distance for N2 obtained from electronic spectra is 109.7 nanometers compared to 298 nanometers for diatomic He2 obtained from quantum mechanical calculation. Quantum mechanical calculation of the orbital radius

of He and N atoms is 291 and 521 nanometers respectively.

So the physical size of N2 and He is not a quantity cast in stone. It

depends upon how the quantity is arrived at.

This admittedly crude (approximate) comparison of the two has the nitrogen

molecule at about 3 times the size of a helium atom. Being this size it is very easy for the gas to escape out the edges of a warn or even UNUSED seal.

The relation was only for novices to understand what happens..

anyways

-Edward

As for part numbers it is something you have to research, because they are not available at mitsu any longer.   The majority of the strut orings are reusable as long as the struts arent leaking.  As long as care is taken when removing the shaft from the housing.  As for the weight value of the oil used, depends on what the car is being used for...  Non-adj struts i use 30wt to keep them very stiff, as for adjustable 10-20wt since you can adjust the valving. You can get wild with the non-adj and play with the valving but 30wt seems to work very well.

Thx for the non critorical response :) Im happy to spread some secrets to save people $1000s, not all the secrets i know though :)

-Edward

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...