How big are...

JessN16

The stock speakers are 4" in the front and 5.25" in the back.  But, I think that most aftermarket 4's and 5.25's won't fit, because the install people ended up putting 5.25" in the front and 6" in the back, which I'm not complaining about.  (sound nice!)

• 1 month later...
i have 5.25 component set in the rear. in the front i have a 6 inch component set and also 2 extra tweeters in the area below my head unit that will act as a poor mans center channel. i am thinking of cutting another hole in each door so i can have 2 6 inch woofers in each door. my mids and highs sound super sweet as is but you can never have too much. i still have to build my sub box-2 12 inch jls. i'll make the back seat go bye-bye if i have to.

Don't put anything less than 6.5's up front - especially if you have to get the saw out anyhow. The difference is night and day - especially if you have subs. You'd be surprised how well a 6.5" will bring the bass "forward" in the car, and how much a 5.25" will leave it behind you.

Anyhow, if a 5.25" driver will fit in the stock hole, then more power to ya. If you have to get the saw out, you may as well go another 1.25" :)

To clarify the door speaker issue...

The 83 to 85 Model Years have 4 inch dual cones 4 ohm speakers in the door.   The door/dash speakers are wired serially.  

The 87 to 89 Model Years have 5 1/4 inch (no cones, no tweeters) 8 ohm speakers in the door.   If I were installing aftermarket 4 ohm speakers, I would unplug and tape off the dash speakers.  The door/dash speakers are wired parallel in 87-89 model years.   If you decide not to unplug dash speakers, then I would add an in-line 4 ohm resistor.  

Noone has given me info on 86 model year setup.  

• 6 months later...

i got 6.5's in the front.  a lot of work and a few rubber spacers on stock bolts so nothing touched and install looks stock (except my half --------------- job on the tweeters in panel behind mirrors but only way they fit)

got 6.5's in rear but they suck...drowned out by sub anyways

also use stock speakers in dash for CELL PHONE!

i have 2 6x9's in the back and 2 6 1/2's i back and then 5 1/4 up front. i put the 6x9's in the back by cutting holes in the back carpeted part that goes up with the hatch. then i put in the other speakers and spliced them together. i snipped the stock ones in the dash then and i still have 6 speakers. it's awesome!!

My '88 Starion has 6.5" speakers in the back, and 5.25" speakers in the doors.

I was able to install Infinity Kappa 63.5i's in the rear deck with minor modifications to the speaker basket mounting holes and using the spacer off of the stock speakers with no mods to the car itself.

Door speakers are in the mail.