mega squirt

I considered diving into it, but decided the time I would have into it and the learning curve needed to build configure and program wouldnt be worth it. I figured the time saved and the headackes saved would justify the extra money for a packaged system with a person at the other end of the phone line to help.

You will need to understand electronics fuel injection  tuning thoery  computers and software. It looks a little more complicated once you get in deep and look close at the software.

But if you have lots of time it is cheap and will work on about anything.

Tony    

i built one but havent installed it yet.  eeaston has been running one on his car for awhile.  He had it going when his car was super charged.  there are a few others that have them and/or are building them.  Search back a couple pages.

I should have mine done in a while too.

going with the flourescent display also

I am hoping to install it in the clock location on the dash.

substock/jason found a good site for purchases at glensgarage.com.

anyone else planning to squirt

All you really have to know to MS your car is how to solder.  You just solder the kit together, run wires, and tune.  You have to know"fuel injection  tuning thoery  computers and software" to tune any standalone system, but the tuning software for the MS is twice as easy to use as some commercial systems(MOTEC) I've used.  Plus, with the forum, you'll get better product support than with ANY commercial unit.

http://www.msefi.com

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a question.

It says this kit is good if you aren't going to run more than 20 psi of boost.  I am not planning on doing that any time soon, but that is a definate possibility down the road, so should I just steer clear of megasquirt??  It is one thing to "outgrow" a car part that is just a regular off the shelf tpye part, but if I am going to assemble this and tune with it and invest a lot of time, I don't wanna have to ditch it down the road.

The MAP sensor is the only limiting factor.  The MS is designed to have a small Motorola MAP sensor mounted to the circuit board inside the housing.  This MAP sensor is only good to 250 KPA=36PSI = 22PSI of boost.  All you have to do to run more boost is to use a GM 3 Bar MAP sensor and run signal wires to it.  Many have done this, so if you go that route you'll have help.

Well there you go all you need to know is how to solder. Must have simplified it a bunch from the last time I looked at it.

Did they get the ignition included yet? Last time I looked  they was only going to do fuel to keep it simple.

The tuning software must have been better to use than it looked, I didnt want to gamble with getting software that didnt work.

Tony  

If you want to run ignition, there are several options, distributor, distributorless, etc.  all of these options require that new software be loaded to the processor and slight changes components on the circuit board, and some require external hardware like a Ford EDIS unit or an MSD ignition.  If you want to run EDIS, you have to install a toothed wheel on the crank.

• 4 weeks later...

qadir03 what are specs of the laptop that you use?  I am going mpi soon as well, and I need to get a lap top, but I do not want to pay a whole lot for it *like more than a thousand*, so I was wondering on the specs, and also how well the mega squirt system works in general.

Jeff

my laptop is an amd duron  900 mhz processor and 256 mb of memory. i have finally got mine put together and started to play around with it plugged into the stimulator. and as soon as i have the wires i'm putting it in my quest(probably next week) and then the tuning begins ;D

You don't need anything fancy at all for tuning.  I used to use a $300 Pentium 2 comp.  The big thing to look for is one with a serial port.  My new comp doesn't have one, so I have to use a USB-serial adapter, and while it works for this, I cant get it to work for other stuff (like sending programs to the CNC machines at my work)

Eeaston is right,  I am using a super slow laptop(gateway) that I bought off ebay for $25.00.  It has windows 98 on it.  I tried a newer laptop and has having display issues, It would only show half of the gauges on the tuning screen when the stim was hooked up..In this case older might be better!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the MS built and tested. I have 2 unmodded magnas here, need to get them done.. Wondering what happened to Chad. I also need hard piping and some other nick nacks. Going to get the car running and test this all out. Then Im going to do some work to the car to get it road worthy again.

needs a clutch, brakes and some front end work...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey conquestpa-

I was wondering if you could test my MS to make sure it is still working properly.  I borrowed a stim before I put the unit in the car and everything worked perfect, but since my little mishap with my head, I want to make sure that everything is still working the way it should be..I will pay shipping both ways.

• 2 weeks later...

So whats the deal with running a distributorless ignition with something like a msd setup? What all do I need? I'm thinking about getting a prebuilt ms, and I don't want to be soldering any crap on the circuit board.

Can someone throw a list up of what all is going to be needed tog et a ms along with a msd ignition running on our cars? I'll probably be running either chads 8 injector intake or a magna. If someone produces a ms prebuilt with the ford eids stuff already built into it I would like to know also.

I cant test right now, still working on getting it running in my car.

I also borrowed a stim and sent it back already...

I can test for you when I get it in my car...

I think it should be able to do 8 sequential injectors...

Who's doing magna modifications now? I need someone to do mine, havn't gotten a response from Chad...

So whats the deal with running a distributorless ignition with something like a msd setup? What all do I need? I'm thinking about getting a prebuilt ms, and I don't want to be soldering any crap on the circuit board.

Can someone throw a list up of what all is going to be needed tog et a ms along with a msd ignition running on our cars? I'll probably be running either chads 8 injector intake or a magna. If someone produces a ms prebuilt with the ford eids stuff already built into it I would like to know also.

The easiest is to run the Ford EDIS 4 dis.  I'm not sure whether you can use an MSD with EDIS, but I do know that certain EDIS modules do multi-spark internally.  If you're buying it Pre-built from Rodney Sparks($249) http://www.rs-autosport.com/

he will build the board for EDIS and load the EDIS embedded code for it at no exrta charge.  The other guy($229) http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=2622 may as well, although he doesn't mention it.

Even with the circuit modifications, you have to use Ford's control module, VR(crank) sensor, and either their EDIS coil pack, or four individual coils with similar electrical characteristics.

Other stuff you'll need includes a harness(you can make it yourself or buy it) with a DB 37 connector at the ECU end, running thru the firewall to relays, sensors, etc.  The relay board makes it easy to wire, but more expensive.

It uses standard GM air and H2O temp sensors and any TPS.

Hey thanks eeaston. I didn;t know you could get the ms premade with the edis chip. Guess I know what I will be doing now :)

Which edis do you need? I've seen them for the 4.6l and the 1.9l for engines. Does it mater?

The MS-II processor board that will be plug and play with your existing MS sounds awefully interesting to me.  Plugs right into the existing processor socket and allows you to control fuel and spark.   I can't wait for Bruce and Al to finish this up!

There is an MSD product that can be used with the Ford EDIS system.  It's basically a replacement coil pack that puts out more juice and cost ~$60.

-Tim

Right about the coil pack.  There's the MSD option and Accell makes one too(which I'm using) (these are simple high-performance coils, they don't provide multiple spark discharge function like an "MSD module")

Yeah, MS II is going to be  a good intermediate step until Ultra-MS comes out.