Chads MPI vs. Magna MPI, worth the extra $?

Kev, I am prepared to pay you in full for whatever you have in your Magna , so that you can go ahead and purchase the intake from Chad, hell ill even throw in a $100 extra for gaskets and such so you can get what you want, Chads setup . Offer stands to anybody who has a Magna MPI and would like to put their support into Chad' or for that matter, Heefner can go chads too ill take the EIP off your hands .

I have debated selling this intake and going with Chad's before.  If Chad is able to bring the price down to around $600 including the TB like he is trying to do, I think I will do it.   If you are serious about this Scotty, I may take you up on your offer in the future.  I can't do it right now though, I am flat broke  :(.  (Need more OT here at work).  Also with all the work and money I have yet to put into my blue conquest (see my post in the BS forum on the progress), I really shouldn't be screwing around with the stuff I bought in the past.   I should just continue with the Magna.  

I am not trying to rip you FnF either.  I see exactly where you are coming from.  $900 is a lot of money to be taking chances.   In my own mind, I just really feel that his is better.  That is all I am trying to say.

kev

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying the magna is the be all end all.  Trying from a multimillion dollar corporation the 1st time is a little different because they manu'd and tested before it was bolted on and been running in outback for years.

i think this is a dead topic.  we will know soon enough the pros/cons of chads intake.

someone had the be the first to try the Magna didn't they?

Lizord:

Thank you. I made that point earlier and no one paid any attention. these look like 2 intakes that are designed for 2 different setups. Magna for streetability, Chad's for all out race.

Further. why is everyone so emotionally involved? it looks like everyone jumps on a person that does not fall to the ground and worship Chad's feet.(no offense Chad, I have no clue who you are) I am very proud that one of our own is doing this kind of work. but the topic IS "Chad's vs Magna" I want to see numbers on both intakes, and I do not think it is unreasonable.

Before anyone asks "What do you care?" remeber that this is an information forum for people who love these cars. What do we care? We want to know. we want to have an INFORMED oppinion about these cars. If someone asks me about MPI I want to be able to make some sense.

And before you go jumping someone saying they are being over critical and negative. Look in the mirror.

In closing I have to say that watching peoples behavior in this thread is single-handedly responsible for lowering the amount of pride I took in this comunity.

I know we can behave better than this.

I am not saying the magna is the be all end all.  Trying from a multimillion dollar corporation the 1st time is a little different because they manu'd and tested before it was bolted on and been running in outback for years.

well, it is a modified intake.  so who's to say that the modifications were gonna work?   someone had to be the first to try it out.  that's all i'm trying to say.  like i said, either Chad or I will have one of his intakes up and running soon enough, and I will make it a point to let everyone know the pro's and cons of the part.

and redliner, it's not an emotional attachment.  i like to think that i have good judgement, as does everyone else on this board.  when i spend money on something i don't like to hear a bunch of people jump on it and basically tell me that my judgement is bad without proof one way or another.  i've been playing with engines since i was 8 years old, i've studied everything i can and then some about automotive design.  I will have my degree in Mechanical Engineering within a year from now.  I know a good design when i see it.  the magna is a modified factory part, you can't go wrong there.  Chad's intake is a full redesign, sharing nothing with a factory intake manifold.  yes it is untested, but i chose to take that chance, just as i have with many other mods to my cars.  if it doesn't work, i can make it work.

the magna has been used/tested, yes.  does that make it the better choice for me? nope.

My point is this. the name of the the thread implies that the 2 intakes will be in question, but it looks like anyone that does not fanatacaly claim Chad's intake to be the best gets a bunch of crap.

In addition, when I say I want to see what the numbers are, it is not because I believe one intake to be better than the other. I expect to see different performance characteristics. I have a goal in mind for my car, and if these intakes perform as I think they might, then I can't afford to make the wrong choice.

Lastly, you say you are not getting emotional, but I have not seen once where anyone said that you made a poor choice or wasted your money. Several people have stated that they would not choose Chad's intake for whatever reason, but I wouldn't choose a 20G. That doesn't mean I think anyone who runs one is wasting there money.

I just want to see an inteligent dicussion based on theory or proven results.

Redliner, sorry to hear you've lost that lovin feelin.........oops.......I mean some pride in the community over this thread.  ;)

One thing I would ask you tho is this, were you around for the absolute nasty attack on Chad and his intake on Trance's board when he first told the community about them? This attack was by an "anonymous" user, that decided a full assault on Chad and his abilities was better than a straight forward question of "proof that it works."

I imagine that quite a bit of what you perceive as,

it looks like anyone that does not fanatically claim Chad's intake to be the best gets a bunch of crap.
, is the tired frustration of those members that know and understand the knowledge that Chad has with these cars.

It would be nice to have a civil discussion of this one topic, but it's "salt in an old wound."

Like the rest, I look forward to some dyno numbers on BOTH intakes, if for no other reason than to see more of the performance potential of our engines.

I do appreciate that you made your point WITHOUT the name calling/inflamatory comments that seems to follow this topic, very well spoken.

You are correct, I'm new to the board so I was not aware of any previous animosity. Knowing that it is an ongoing thing does mitigate the circumstance. I just hope someone gets one running soon so we can put this old dog to sleep :)

AMEN to that.

i'll give my perspective, if anyone cares.....

chads mpi..... never been tested, never even been ran on a car, not sure of the qualitly, (I'd have to see it myself to belive it so great), not sure of the r&d invested, or if it will even work at all, and it cost more

magna.....tested, been ran on cars, quest and many other cars for a long time, stock or modified, good quality, (I've seen it myslef), lots of r&d invested, and cheaper.

end of story..... I've never heard anyone comlain about the quality of a magna, and the opinions given by people with a magna are unbiast, because, it's a mitsu product, not a member with his friends speaking for him. If I were going to choose, I'd go with a magna, without even giving any thought to it. I don't know chad, so no offence, just calling it like I see it.

You've touched on a pretty important subject Scotty...  The situation where a guy or a business has a few buddies who just absolutely rave about his product has plagued this community for years.  I made about $6000 worth of decisions based solely on other people's opinions of CNM and TEP back when I started modifying my car and that money pretty much got me no where.  Some here will remember when James Barber was like a God to us.  He was offering products no one else could provide and always reporting those 12 second runs with Andy R's car on Street tires.  I mean people are people.  I've done business with so many people here and Chad has been a great guy to do business with.  Think I sold him a center console or something like that.  I trust him, but I trust just about everyone until they screw me or someone else.  If, God forbid, there turns out to be a major design flaw with Chad's manifold, I am 100% confident that it will have been inadvertant.  That Chad honestly felt he was providing the best product for the money.  Unfortunately, and I mean no offense to anyone, it's just standard practice to ensure, rather than hope, that you are providing a quality product before you sell it.  These things aren't done on hunches or on theoretical calculations, they're done on the street, on the dyno, and if we're lucky on the flow bench.  Chad obviously agreed with me on this matter at one point because some of his first posts in this regard stated that an intake would be flow benched and then a car would be dynoed with the intake installed.  My main consern stems from the fact that the manufacturer himself has had difficulty installing the manifold and making it work.  I know he's been busy.  But if the guy with all the fabricating ability it took to design the thing can't make it run in oh say 6 months, why not?  Also the testing would only help justify the price increase and improve sales.  I'm probably saying stuff you've all already said because I haven't really been able to keep up with this saga, as I was already commited to the magna when it started, but I've held off from speaking my mind long enough.  Doing business with friends can spell disaster, so no offense Chad but everyone has every right to ask for some proof.  I'm sorry if some people got rude in the past but that doesn't change the issue at hand.

I really think that you guys are missing the point. No one was saying "buy it because Chad made it." People came to his defense because some idiot posting as "anonymous," attacked him on Trance's board.

Just yesterday the same punk posted on there again asking Chad, and I quote......"Are you done with your junk?

Now if you did/made something for the SQ community and someone came along and just started calling it crap, wouldn't you get pissed??

All that was needed was one simple question of, "Have you tested/dynoed it yet?"

I'm sure Chad has no problem that people want it tested/dynoed. Maybe if he wasn't attacked from the beginning, this whole situation would be different.

nope that's crap.  ignore the nay sayers and put up the proof.  Gotta have a thick skin if you want to do this kind of business.  That's one of the best things I can say about TEP, they've been bashed for years, even by me, but they just keep on pluggin' along providing what they seem to think is the best service possible and I respect them for that.

True that you have to have thick skin, but there are quite a few guys that have said that............they must have also forgotten how they came, and still come, complaining to us mods when they get attacked. Then their friends come to their defense and say how they are, "tustworthy," "they know what they're doing," and stuff just like so many did for Chad.

Disrespect is disrespect, or have you forgotten how upset you were a few months ago with another member that was very rude to you already chip?

I would be all for posting those hypocrites pm's and e-mails for the whole community to see, but I don't get to make that decision.

As for TEP, they are a large company that doesn't visit the boards, so they couldn't care less. How many people complain about EIP's prices and lag time? You think they come here and give a damn, no, they are a COMPANY, not an individual trying to help us.

Again, yes, if you make something, sure we'd like numbers/proof/whatever, but why go and bash a fellow member and then drive them out of making anything else for our cars. If you want proof, or you won't buy it, fine........but why start a flame war? How does it affect you? Grow up or go home.

You've somehow interpretted my saying "you have to have a thick skin" as "it's ok for people to bash Chad, or anyone who offers a product."  On the contrary I'm with you all the way that there is a certain level of respect we need to maintain for one another.  I see it as two completely seperate issues however.  I see no relationship what-so-ever between the need for some good reason to buy this intake, and people bashing/disrespecting Chad.  It goes without saying that the latter is unacceptable and those individuals should be handled accordingly, but I haven't chosen to address that issue because it's not my responsibility.  I see my issue with one particular jackass on these boards, who happens to be the ONLY person I've ever had a problem with, as an ENTIRELY seperate issue doesn't compare at all to this situation.  I'm not offering a product.  You say "if you won't buy it without proof, fine don't buy it"  I say "if you won't offer it without being off limits to scrutiny, fine don't offer it"  There will always be naysayers.  Some have tact some do not.  There's only one way to shut them all up.

nope that's crap.  ignore the nay sayers and put up the proof. Gotta have a thick skin if you want to do this kind of business.  That's one of the best things I can say about TEP, they've been bashed for years, even by me, but they just keep on pluggin' along providing what they seem to think is the best service possible and I respect them for that.

"Gotta have a thick skin if you want to do this kind of business"

"That's one of the best things I can say about TEP, they've been bashed for years, even by me"

You've somehow interpretted my saying "you have to have a thick skin" as "it's ok for people to bash Chad

You don't remember what you said in that first post I guess. I didn't have to interpret what you said, it's there in black and white! IF you weren't saying it's ok to bash someone, why'd you put it in there?

You weren't selling a product.......so only those selling need thick skins and everybody else can complain and moan? Besides, "nay sayers" are one thing, outright attacks are very different. Say you doubt it until he proves it, but calling names and hurling insults has nothing to do with the intakes.........those are personal. And I'll defend a friend from personal attacks whether or not he has proof of his product.

ok dude you think you're right I think I'm right, whatever.  I said the bashing happened and others, namely TEP, moved on. (period)  I never said the bashing was cool or ok or good to go.  what I said was meant to indicate that you will have to suck it up or prove it wrong.  When something's there in black and white then it's there, verbatim, in black and white.  What you say is there, you inferred, or assumed.  I said it goes with the territory, you said I said it's ok.  Big difference there.  This statement "but calling names and hurling insults has nothing to do with the intakes.........those are personal. And I'll defend a friend from personal attacks whether or not he has proof of his product. " still tells me you're trying to convince me that the attacks were wrong, like I somehow condone them or support attacking anyone.  Get a clue man, I DON'T THINK IT'S COOL TO ATTACK PEOPLE OR CALL NAMES, you're preachin' to the choir.

Ok, mister verbatim, (which means word for word), let's see how close you are to telling me exactly what you said......... here goes;

I said the bashing happened and others, namely TEP

No, you said.....

Gotta have a thick skin if you want to do this kind of business. That's one of the best things I can say about TEP, they've been bashed for years, even by me

what I said was meant to indicate that you will have to suck it up or prove it wrong

Why not type what you meant to begin with??

When something's there in black and white then it's there, verbatim, in black and white.  What you say is there, you inferred, or assumed.  I said it goes with the territory, you said I said it's ok.  Big difference there.  

See above. If you're not going to type what you mean, then get a thick skin and realize it'll be open to interpretation.

This thread really wasn't so bad compared to the stuff the transpired on Trance's board, and that was my original point as to why people were defending Chad so aggressivly here. I NEVER said people don't have the right to ask for proof. Try and find a post where I stated anything like that.

I actually thought this thread would stop since, some want proof, others don't.......case closed, right? You couldn't let it stand at that?

I've got no problems with you personally Chip, but throwing fuel on this fire isn't helping either.

Let's all agree.........

Some people will not buy into the "hype," as it were, UNTIL there are dyno sheets and one running on a car.

Others trust in Chad's abilities and reputaion enough to go ahead and buy his intake without said proof.

No one is right or wrong, just a difference of opinion. Sound cool?

lol, yeah that sounds cool that's my attitude about everything.  but see... I'm allowed to paraphrase my own statements whenever I want to because I'm not the one saying that something was in "black and white and needed no interpretation"  See how I put that in quotes, even though it's not a direct quote.  Should I scroll down and get the exact wording you used or is my point made?  Somehow I doubt if my point is made so here "I didn't have to interpret what you said, it's there in black and white! IF you weren't saying it's ok to bash someone, why'd you put it in there?"  Put it in where?  Where did I say it's ok to bash someone?  And if you're suggesting that the statements "the bashing happened" and "they've been bashed" are somehow different or don't mean essentially the same thing, or that either one implies in some way that it's OK to talk bad about a person with no reason, then we will always have trouble communicating.  When you say it's black and white the burden of proof is yours, not mine.    With this question you contradict yourself "Why not type what you meant to begin with??" right above that you quoted me as saying "what I said was meant to indicate"  key word meant, I did type what I meant, it was just misunderstood, sorry.  This whole discusion is exactly why I see it as two different issues entirely.  There is the fact that people got nasty on one hand, and the fact that we're all hoping Chad's intake is awesome on the other hand and would like to see some indication of that.  They are seperate, completely seperate, and there is no place for reference to one while discussing the other, EVER.  That's why in my original post my only reference to the bashing that went on was this "I'm sorry if some people got rude in the past but that doesn't change the issue at hand" discounting that fact entirely as a non issue.  I didn't want to talk about it and I didn't mean to fan the flame, I only meant to indicate that it's not only reasonable but necessary to test the product.  I can't believe anyone ever said anything at all that opposed the need for testing.  That's obsurd!  You said I was missing the point and I let it go, you suggested I would get pissed if people called my product junk and I let it go.  I wouldn't get pissed, I'd prove them wrong.  I'm not missing the point you are, the bashing thing is a dead issue to me and I can't make that any clearer.  You also suggested/stated that if Chad hadn't been attacked from the beginning this whole situation might be different.  That's what I think is crap, pure crap in fact because if he let those comments change his actions or effect the progress of the manifold in any way then he's silly, and I don't think he's silly.  You my friend are the one perpetuating the involvement of all that past negativity and you don't even realize it.  You're right, we don't have any issues with each other and I expect it will stay that way.  There's nothing wrong with a little disagreement every once in a while.  The main miscommunication in this situation is whether the two issues are related.  My stance is that they are not, how do you feel about it?

If you had typed what you meant, then you wouldn't have to come and post, "key word meant, I did type what I meant."

Is that how you handed in a college paper? Example: The professor reads it, then says that you insinuate something in a paragraph that is contradictory to an earlier one. Now, when he points that out, do you look at him and say, What I meant was....." No college teacher will say, "Ohhhh, I misunderstood, sorry!" They'll tell you to write exactly what it was you "meant" to say to begin with!!!

Also, if you didn't "mean" to fan the flames of what happened before, then make sure you're up to speed about the whole situation! I love people that jump into the middle of a discussion and pompously state their point of view without knowing anything of what was said before they got there! I'm not trying to propagate this damn thing, I just want it to stop since the point you are attempting to make, HAS ALREADY BEEN MADE! What is your point in restating someone else's point??

Anyway.............I think that it is futile to bother with this discussion as neither one of us will, apparently, see the others point of view.

I commend you for standing your ground, even tho you tried valiantly to turn this around on me. Cute, but it won't work.

I am going to lock this thread, at least for a while, to calm things down a degree. If you should so feel the need to continue, you are always free to e-mail me directly. I know you have my e-mail addy. This is not so that I get in the last word, just that we both have strong opinions on this and they would just clog this thread unnecessarily.

Once the intake has been dynoed and road tested, we will all have the answers we need.