Flush/fixed headlights (my prototypes)

Fuze

I know some of you guys have been talking about  hooking up some flush mount headlights similar to the JDM conversions for the RX, Silvia and other pop up headlight cars. I developed a prototype set about 9 months ago, and have been driving with them since then. Here's some pics, never mind my cracked spoiler and slightly off center side grill pieces, lol. The car's also pretty dirty, but hey it's still a daily driver!

http://www.planetrainbowsix.com/dtd/lites/Picture012.jpg

http://www.planetrainbowsix.com/dtd/lites/Picture0129.jpg

http://www.planetrainbowsix.com/dtd/lites/Picture016.jpg

http://www.planetrainbowsix.com/dtd/lites/Picture017.jpg

http://www.planetrainbowsix.com/dtd/lites/Picture018.jpg

I've got a pair of 80W driving lights on each side, with "HID style" bulbs which really updates the car's overall look. I swapped out the rest of the bulbs in the front of the car for some blue/white ones, a must to match the lights up, those yellowish bulbs had to go!

The construction is all alluminum, each pod has an alluminum "box" composed of a rectangular back plate, sides which are cut on the exact same angle/contour as the original headlights (no easy task!), and a trapezoidal shaped lower plate which protrues slightly farther on the inside edge. It looks weird off the car but it drops in perfectly. I had access to a machine shop and materials so I was able to play with the design until it was as close to perfect as I could get it.. Once all the pieces were cut, I drilled and tapped the base and backplate and bolted it all together with stainless hex bolts, and mounted tabs on the outsides of the box, to bolt up to the stock mounting locations, and one extra tab uses the existing bolt for the header panel on each side. when it was all together, I sprayed them with industrial flat black Rustoleum.

The lens is Lexan, cut using the stock headlight cover as a template, and trimmed to fit. It's bolted with 4 allen screws (stainless) to alluminum tabs which are mounted inside the box on the sides. I had to bolt the upper part of the lens to the assembly, and use a heat gun to carefully conform it to the curve until it layed flush, without distorting (patience...). I then masked the back of the lens and painted it with the absolute best/most durable spray paint on the market, (take it from an ex-graffiti writer) Rustoleum Intustrial flat black. I could have gotten them sprayed at a body shop but you wouldn't be able to tell, since the paint is on the other side of the lens.

Planned updates:

>swapping out the 2 inner lights (high beams) for a set of "halo" lights (driving lights which have the illuminated light ring like the new BMW's).

>Adding LED turn indicators inside the box, and updating the rest of the turn signal lights with the superior LED replacement bulbs.

it looks like you took your time and the construction is great. looks like great workmanship and i like it but its a little too set off for me, if that makes any sense.  maybe if the rim outline was painted white?  or those on a black car.  but it looks great, definately not an easy task.

congrats.

are you happy with the lights at night? or is that why you are changing the second set?

That looks pretty damn good bro.  If I could get the front clear lexan peice, it'd be all over with.  

Speaking of "Halo Eyes"  check out my thread in this same section. Truely cheap.

The only real problem I have with the light setup is that the driving lights look to be a little bit obstructed. I'd personally cut out the bottom of the header panel, and run lexan all the way down to the top of the front bumper. Then i'd move the highbeam lights(the ones on the inside) about a inch down, and two inches forward. Not knocking your lights at all, but they seem a little blocked.

Rusto is some very good paint, the only other kind of paint to use is some high temp engine block paint.  I guess that makes two graffers on the site. I instantly knew you were when I first saw your sig pic, years ago.  I don't personally paint on walls anymore, nor trains or freights. Usually just some legal production graffiti.

Stay up.

John

O.K.  If you just type them in like you see them, then it will take you to the website.

This is one of the best tutorials I have for projectors.  It even has adjustments you can make to raise/lower the beam.

Like I said before, all I need is the outer Lexan. The rest is very easy for me to make.

John

The only real problem I have with the light setup is that the driving lights look to be a little bit obstructed. I'd personally cut out the bottom of the header panel, and run lexan all the way down to the top of the front bumper. Then i'd move the highbeam lights(the ones on the inside) about a inch down, and two inches forward. Not knocking your lights at all, but they seem a little blocked.

John

Yep, like I said they are prototypes, but I do see your approach. The Miata kits are basically a cover and the lights mounted inside, with no actual "box" to speak of. I didn't want to have to modify the body at all, and I wanted them to also be able to keep out dirt/dust as much as possible. The main limiting factors are the dimensions of the box an the fact that the lights have to fit under the lexan cover, so it limits placement some. The lights hit he street farther forward than stock, but moving them forward inside the box can't be done with the lid in place. Maybe if they were smaller lights. As for the black color, they could be painted any color, but the black looked bad to me, lol.

They are almost too bright at night, I rarely ever use the hi beams. The halo  lights would be used because the ring lights can be hooked up as turn signals. A lot can be done, I've just been driving the car and focusing on the other stuff that needed attention. If you need the lexan, it's not too hard to get, it's also available in different colors. Tim Ennis, the guy who made the fog light covers, had multiple shades. Try a couple of glass suppliers.

And hey John, I hear ya on the trains and walls bro. I haven't been bombing in a long time, but freights/trucks and highways was my thing. We also hit a few dozen billboards and freeway signs, easiest way to go all-state, lol. That was before I got into cars. Jersey/NY/Philly/LA QM8 crew represent! Que Mas Ocho!

Yeah, I hear ya on the lights not being able to go farther forward. After looking at it for awhile up close, the top of the light looks pretty damn close to the lexan. That setup really does look clean though.

Did you check out the link I posted?  You could adapt the adjustability from that projector, to your's for very, very little money. It's basically just four long bolts with springs, and nuts. Poof, now it's adjustable up/down and left/right.

Ever since I turned 18 and became legal, I just can't bring myself to go out and bomb anymore. The cops are crazy around here, they hate graff with a passion. Plus you get a mandatory 6months and possibly $10,000 fine right off the bat. It doesn't matter if you're still a minor or an adult, they don't care if the piece is like 6ftX8ft. So now I just try and hit every legal wall I can, productions and stuff. I still rock the MOP with my home batched ink every now and again.

I like the way they turned out, nice job!

The only thing I would have changed is the way you masked them off. I would have done them so that they followed the lines of the car better. Sort of like this:

http://88tsirob.bravehost.com/Picture018a.jpg

versus yours:

http://www.planetrainbowsix.com/dtd/lites/Picture018.jpg

Either way though they look good.

• 2 weeks later...
Its about time someone has backed up thier words with action. People ahve claimed to be working on these for as long as I can remember..And you pulled it off. Nice job. They will look nice especially on a black ar but i'm still partial to our stock lights. I think our pop-ups give is more of a clean stealthy look.

• 1 month later...

hey fuze,

i'd really appreciate if there was a way to work out a deal between you and i...if it's at all possible, i'd like to buy a set of those clear covers so that i could rig up something i have in mind for my car. i just don't have many shops around here willing to make that clear cover piece to replace the stock "covers"

thanx for any input

email me at vengeance484@hotmail.com as i don't usually use SQClub...thx again